Gecko in bedroom

sirineou

On 5/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, mfd101 said:

Here amongst the Khmer peasants they are considered symbols of good luck, so bad luck to kill them.

We live with half-a-dozen or more, of varying sizes. I get to sweep up the droppings off the floor downstairs each morning. Almost never seen u/s in the main bedroom & library, thank goodness.

Then there are the tokays outside, calling during the mating season. They get names like George or Edward or Henry ...

There's a library?!

28 minutes ago, aboctok said:

There's a library?!

Yes, a beautiful L-shaped library for all my books which were following from Canberra ... Fortunately the geckos are not great readers.

1 hour ago, desert dueller said:

Is that really possible, geckos or whatever shortening the mother board in air cons? How best to seal the a/c condenser unit?

A friend of mine in Rawai boasted how he got a new motherboard for his aircon after a jin-jok fused it and was found dead inside. He argued with the supplier that "This is Thailand! Jin-joks are everywhere. Your aircon should be jin-jok proof".

He said the supplier gave in to his constant complaining and sent a new board down from Bangkok, for free.

8 hours ago, xylophone said:

Didn't know about the torch/light trick, but good to know, so thank you.

Another "trick" I used to use is Magiclean kitchen spray. The problem is that they have to be within reach when you spray at them, or close by, and when they fall off the wall (because their feet are all slippery) you have to spray them as they hit the floor. This can be tricky as they take off running very quickly, so you have to spray at them as soon as they hit the floor. 

If you're lucky, they end up running like crazy but not going anywhere because their feet are covered in soap.

I now prefer the "Cree LED" torch method.

On 5/14/2021 at 3:37 AM, Johnny Mac said:

I have never once seen a gecko eat a mosquito. Complete myth, but like sheep so many seem to claim they do. Mosquito's rarely stay on walls, for one.

I have seen geckos eat mosquitoes and I have seen mosquitoes landing on walls. Baaaaaaaaa.

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2021 at 5:05 PM, tomazbodner said:

On GeckoVisa there was one guy asking about how to get rid of these 2 big humans that invaded his room. It's war. He just ordered nuclear strike on your house.

War is not the answer. 

Peace in our time! 

Perhaps you could cede part of your house as a DMZ and reach an accommodation. ????

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, hotchilli said:

This sorts the little blighters out, lots of drama too.

p9c2ac94ovv41.jpg

Being American I naturally reach for an automatic weapon in these situations. 

Like your flamethrower solution, it is hell on the house but sooooooo gratifying. There's nothing like the smell of cordite in the morning! 

I have abandoned the peace accords idea. 

Edited by RocketDog
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, desert dueller said:

Is that really possible, geckos or whatever shortening the mother board in air cons? How best to seal the a/c condenser unit?

It is not likely but could happen - in 50 plus years of running multi ac units have not had any loss due to such - did have several shorts due to ant nests however and multi issues with rats eating wires (seems they love German dish washers).  Did have a light switch short from geckos nest decades ago.  

19 hours ago, The Theory said:

we never kill them. My gf catch them by hands and let them go outside. 
but I keep them out of space between ceiling and roof of kitchen by mothballs. Mothballs keeps rats away as well.  

Don't the mothballs keep away your wife too?? 5555555????

3 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Being American I naturally reach for an automatic weapon in these situations. 

Like your flamethrower solution, it is hell on the house but sooooooo gratifying. There's nothing like the smell of cordite in the morning! 

I have abandoned the peace accords idea. 

Must bring some memories back to you.. Napalm, agent orange......????

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2021 at 7:58 PM, Joe Farang said:

While you were stuck in the US for 2 years. This Gecko ensured that your home didn't become infested with all manner of bugs.

Killing the Gecko is how you say thanks. Karma will take care of you for sure.

Covid hasn't been around for 2 years if I recall correctly....

• Confused 1

I've always loved exotic reptiles. As a kid I had a Tokay Gecko as a pet. Bought it for a hefty price at the pet store, they put it in a little box, and I took it home to a beautifully prepared terrarium complete with live plants, twisting branches, and a little swimming pool. I was proud to have rescued it from the small tank in the pet store crammed full of too many Geckos. I figured it had never felt the freedom of movement or extended cardiovascular exercise.

When I opened the box to introduce it to its new home, it jumped onto my face, ran up and leaped off the top of my head, turning some kind of cool twisting ninja flip in the air, and stuck to the ceiling upside-down, all in a flash. It then ran all over my bedroom ceiling as I chased it with a fish net, until it finally collapsed from overexertion and fell to the floor dead as a door nail. And that was the end of my experience with a pet Today Gecko.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

I've always loved exotic reptiles. As a kid I had a Tokay Gecko as a pet. Bought it for a hefty price at the pet store, they put it in a little box, and I took it home to a beautifully prepared terrarium complete with live plants, twisting branches, and a little swimming pool. I was proud to have rescued it from the small tank in the pet store crammed full of too many Geckos. I figured it had never felt the freedom of movement or extended cardiovascular exercise.

When I opened the box to introduce it to its new home, it jumped onto my face, ran up and leaped off the top of my head, turning some kind of cool twisting ninja flip in the air, and stuck to the ceiling upside-down, all in a flash. It then ran all over my bedroom ceiling as I chased it with a fish net, until it finally collapsed from overexertion and fell to the floor dead as a door nail. And that was the end of my experience with a pet Today Gecko.

Very sad experience, I had one a bit similar with a dwarf rabbit, Luckily for them they had not to experience the traumatizing experience of the swimming pools being under lock-down due to Covid. 

Any kind of insect spray. Reptiles and insects hate it. I used to get huge geckos in the house, when I lived on Samui. If you spray directly into their faces it slows them down and nearly knocks them out. You can then catch them and do with them as you please. Nothing else worked. I used to knock them out and then toss them into the forest next to the house. 

C'mon man, you're living in Thailand. Learn to make piece with the gecko's because you won't be able to remove them. They are good for you, eating mosquitos, flies and other insects. Get used to it and you will not hear them after a while. Spraying mosquito eaters with mosquito spray sounds like a BS idea to me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Amazingly sad and depressing. These creatures provide a useful service for us humans. Why would you want to kill them, and in such a cruel way ?

maybe English is not your primary language, so a little explanation,  where in my post did I said that I killed anything, I said smash or throw away do you understand this words? as for your concern about the word "kill", please refer to page 1 the 3rd post by @BritManToo whereby you can find such word but, please, be so kind to avoid putting words on my posts that I didn't use. Yesterday you mention 4-5 times that my post was "SICK", that's you right not to agree with my posts but 1 sad emoji would suffice to make your point. Why did you felt the need to insult me 4-5 times?  do you by any chance have an obsession with me or my posts, did I ever insulted you in any way shape or form, do we know each other? I doubt as I don't frequent people with some type of mental handicap, can you, please, do me a favor and avoid/ignore my posts or do you prefer if I add you to my ignore list

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, mfd101 said:

Here amongst the Khmer peasants they are considered symbols of good luck, so bad luck to kill them.

We live with half-a-dozen or more, of varying sizes. I get to sweep up the droppings off the floor downstairs each morning. Almost never seen u/s in the main bedroom & library, thank goodness.

Then there are the tokays outside, calling during the mating season. They get names like George or Edward or Henry ...

What? No Elizabeth, Kate or Meghan?? Rather sexist, don't you think?

54 minutes ago, DBath said:

What? No Elizabeth, Kate or Meghan?? Rather sexist, don't you think?

The callers are probably males? In any case we're a same-sex household so I assume the geckos are probably gay too.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 5:47 PM, Mavideol said:

maybe English is not your primary language, so a little explanation,  where in my post did I said that I killed anything, I said smash or throw away do you understand this words? as for your concern about the word "kill", please refer to page 1 the 3rd post by @BritManToo whereby you can find such word but, please, be so kind to avoid putting words on my posts that I didn't use. Yesterday you mention 4-5 times that my post was "SICK", that's you right not to agree with my posts but 1 sad emoji would suffice to make your point. Why did you felt the need to insult me 4-5 times?  do you by any chance have an obsession with me or my posts, did I ever insulted you in any way shape or form, do we know each other? I doubt as I don't frequent people with some type of mental handicap, can you, please, do me a favor and avoid/ignore my posts or do you prefer if I add you to my ignore list

The principal attraction to these forums for many folks is to engage in pointless arguments and mud-slinging ad hominem attacks. It's apparently their only hobby and allows them to demonstrate their displeasure with their own life and the world. Don't let their sociopathy become yours. 

Engage them and roll in the mud with them or ignore them.

Unfortunately the gleaming promise of the benefits of social media in general has degenerated into a reeking cesspool in many cases. 

Up to you. 

On 5/17/2021 at 8:13 AM, Thingamabob said:

Amazingly sad and depressing. These creatures provide a useful service for us humans. Why would you want to kill them, and in such a cruel way ?

I agree, love to see and hear them around and they do keep the mosquitos away. 

10 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

The principal attraction to these forums for many folks is to engage in pointless arguments and mud-slinging ad hominem attacks. It's apparently their only hobby and allows them to demonstrate their displeasure with their own life and the world. Don't let their sociopathy become yours. 

Engage them and roll in the mud with them or ignore them.

Unfortunately the gleaming promise of the benefits of social media in general has degenerated into a reeking cesspool in many cases. 

Up to you. 

agree with you, when somebody engage in pointless explanation and eventually in mud-slinging about somebody else's posts, it's obviously apparent, per se/say,  they are not happy with their own life and I do feel sorry for them,. As a principle of life  I do have a tendency to ignore people with such sociopathy disorder, today decided to make an exception

38 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

agree with you, when somebody engage in pointless explanation and eventually in mud-slinging about somebody else's posts, it's obviously apparent, per se/say,  they are not happy with their own life and I do feel sorry for them,. As a principle of life  I do have a tendency to ignore people with such sociopathy disorder, today decided to make an exception

Yeah, sometimes it exceeds my tolerance threshold too, and I waste time replying to nonsense with my own nonsense. It is just a waste of the limited time I have though and I know it.

That said, I have nothing whatsoever against geckos. They are simply a fact of life and a huge step up from roaches.