Receiving Covid Vaccine from Navy

Have a friend back in the states who is retired Navy.  From talking to some of his friends who have done it, he claims it is possible to get the vaccine from the Navy here in Thailand if you are retired military or VA connected.  But, you have to go through the American Embassy first.

I've looked at the Embassy website and could not find anything.  Anyone aware if such a program exists and how to access it?

Thanks in advance.

I've suggested this solution on several occasions on this site, plus sent my Congressman and the Dept of State the same idea. State told me to phone their medical division (for a turn down). I've not done that as they are completely silent about us ex-pats futures as is the government here.

US Navy in Thailand? Where?  The only US Navy in Thailand could be a military attache at the Embassy.  I would say if Thailand had a US Naval base(like in Japan) then this might be possible.  Otherwise this sounds highly unlikely.  If one is a US Military retiree with a retiree ID then a vaccine at a Base hospital is probable.  

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

US Navy in Thailand? Where?  The only US Navy in Thailand could be a military attache at the Embassy.  I would say if Thailand had a US Naval base(like in Japan) then this might be possible.  Otherwise this sounds highly unlikely.  If one is a US Military retiree with a retiree ID then a vaccine at a Base hospital is probable.  

Cobra Gold guys could bring some spare jabs, maybe ?

• Haha 2

How?  Both Pfizer and Moderna need to be refrigerated at low temps.  The US Marines and Navy guys for Cobra Gold already carry a lot of gear.  It is an exercise for combat operations?  At least I thought it was a combat readiness exercise? 

• Haha 1

It is possible that the information is a bit confused. My understanding is that earned US military retirement are eligible for global health care through Tricare. Those of us who earned (paid for and still pay Medicare premiums are treated as a separate class in not receiving any eligible medical care outside US territory ). I think we might go to Guam?!.

You could try JUSMAGTHAI, but last time I checked they weren't allowing anyone on the base. They have a website that you can check, they are located in BKK, SE of the embassy, about a kilometer. 

1 hour ago, tao40 said:

You could try JUSMAGTHAI, but last time I checked they weren't allowing anyone on the base. They have a website that you can check, they are located in BKK, SE of the embassy, about a kilometer. 

JUSMAG is letting retirees on (went yesterday).  Some things are closed or restricted, others open- but may require an appointment.  However, COVID or not, there are NO medical services on base for active duty, let alone retirees. Tricare Overseas stated the jab “should” be  reimbursed, yet we won’t know for sure until you pay for it and submit the claim. I’m assuming the VA’s FMP would be the same.  The Embassy currently doesn’t have plans to bring in vaccines for expats.  
Our choices are: fly to a base or the States, fly elsewhere and pay, or wait here for whatever they offer (and possibly pay). Looking at the costs and quarantine(s)- I’m waiting for local options to happen/improve. 

I'm both retired navy and employed in Thailand.  Talked to the Tricare overseas 3 times starting 2 weeks ago and have 2 answers.  "Reimbursable' is in the lead.  Meanwhile, Thai social security called and inquired about all employees if they wanted the vaccine for them to plan.  This included foreigners.  So I decided to wait a little longer before paying first.

For reference, there are a few more navy in country than just the naval attache.  But not anything like 15 years ago.

And, not a well known about unit but the US navy has a not-so-secret-anymore organization called NAMRU-TWO.  (Naval Medical Research Unit-2)  They do on-again-off-again research on tropical diseases including in Thailand.  They used ot be based here but the main office is now in Singapore.  The Naval Medical Research Institute in Bethesda also collaborates with Mahidol University's tropical medicine faculty which has included a few in country researchers that were active duty Navy and Air Force.

10 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Both Pfizer and Moderna need to be refrigerated at low temps. 

Both pfizer and moderna developed special shipping containers that use dry ice to keep the vaccine cold.  The vaccines can continue to be stored in the same containers after they arrive.

The difficulty in storing these vaccines has been drastically over dramatized.

"The difficulty in storing these vaccines has been drastically over dramatized"

Are you sure?  I have read some pharmacies and hospitals have had to throw some vaccines out due to refrigeration failure.  Also, once the vaccines are thawed out they have to be injected within a limited amount of time or they have to be discarded.  I cannot imagine Sailors or Marines who are destined for Cobra Gold will be tasked with this additional mission with such short notice.

"The Devil is always in the details"

1.  How many Americans in LOS will be vaccinated?

2  Which vaccines and how many does will be shipped to LOS?

3.  Who will be responsible for shipping the vaccine?  Who will pay for shipping and proper storage?

4. Will those who get vaccinated have to sign a waiver to hold harmless the Department of Defense if one suffers from serious side effects after getting vaccinated?

If I am a Navy Commander I would not want to take on such a mission. 

"For reference, there are a few more navy in country than just the naval attache.  But not anything like 15 years ago."

I stand corrected.  There could be Active Duty US Naval personnel on exchange programs with the Royal Thai Navy?  But this does not mean that will be tasked with vaccinating Americans in LOS? 

21 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

How?  Both Pfizer and Moderna need to be refrigerated at low temps.  The US Marines and Navy guys for Cobra Gold already carry a lot of gear.  It is an exercise for combat operations?  At least I thought it was a combat readiness exercise? 

it's more likely an exercise of Wombats.

On 5/15/2021 at 12:40 PM, sqwakvfr said:

The OP wasn't referring to US Navy only. Anyway soon about a 1000 of them should be here for RORO... Let's hope they were vaccinated and checked on STD's prior to their arrival. 

9 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Department of Defense has not made Covid 19 vaccination mandatory for military personnel.  The STD thing is a whole different ball of wax.

AHHHH. Now you said it all... Let's just hope all of their balls aren't wax...