Ducklings in Roi Et.

Welder

I have some questions about ducklings / ducks.

• How much is it to buy a duckling? Or 100 of them?
  • How long time before it start to produce eggs?
  • How much is it for an egg from a duckling at markets?

Many thanks!

There are many previous posts on Thaivisa about rearing ducks for the market either for egg production or meat, it may be worth a search to find out information other than the price of dayolds.

I have posted myself having worked in the industry in many countries since the 1980's, including Thailand, and the UK before that.

If you are thinking raising ducks is a money spinner, it isn't.

Other than the question is there a good market for the produce ( ? ), you have to ask about breed ( eggs or meat ), housing, feed, lighting, water, brooding ( gas or electric ), veterinary expenses such as vaccines, feeding and drinking equipment, rice shell for the floor, etc.

Be very very aware of growing on a contract basis for someone else.

Further, It is often a "partner" who thinks there is quick money to be made !

There is plenty of information online for the beginner but remember this is Thailand.   

Think carefully and good luck.

12 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

There are many previous posts on Thaivisa about rearing ducks for the market either for egg production or meat, it may be worth a search to find out information other than the price of dayolds.

I have posted myself having worked in the industry in many countries since the 1980's, including Thailand, and the UK before that.

If you are thinking raising ducks is a money spinner, it isn't.

Thank you for the reply.

I did search but did not find anything, I did it again just now and the only thing showing was this thread.

Anyway..

The reason I asked is that a friend just bought some (50) ducklings to her home, trying to convince me that it is a good investment. I asked her the same thing but of course she have no answer.

I looked in some other forums and most of them stated that the ducks will not last one year.

I guessed that I just wanted som confirmation and some actual figures that proves that it is an investment waiting to fail.

I gave her 20000 baht to buy another thing but she bought those ducks instead.

Again, thank you for your input.

Surin Livestock Breeding and Research Center is located on the 214 on east side of the highway between Surin and Prasat. My wife has done a lot of work on the subject but has moved on to other moneymakers. The lady that runs the Surin Livestock Breeding and Research Center stays in contact with my wife and come down and visit. You half be Thai with a ID card to sign up. When she calls you have come asap.  She will offer you between 300 to 600 chicks FREE she does explain to you the chicken flue and where to get the vaccine.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Welder said:

Thank you for the reply.

I did search but did not find anything, I did it again just now and the only thing showing was this thread.

Anyway..

The reason I asked is that a friend just bought some (50) ducklings to her home, trying to convince me that it is a good investment. I asked her the same thing but of course she have no answer.

I looked in some other forums and most of them stated that the ducks will not last one year.

I guessed that I just wanted som confirmation and some actual figures that proves that it is an investment waiting to fail.

I gave her 20000 baht to buy another thing but she bought those ducks instead.

Again, thank you for your input.

Thanks for you response.

Sorry you couldn't find any other threads, they are out there in the farming section.

I would say "Once bitten twice shy" regarding the 20K,

You mention ducklings, a later post here mentions POL ( Point of Lay - starting to lay eggs) for 110 baht, not sure what your friend who wanted to sell you 50 ducklings meant, i.e. dayolds ( DOs ) or POL.

If it is commercial ducklings i.e. meat ducks ( for eating ) then the person who sells them to you will / may buy them back, if and when it chooses them, sadly this is common in Thailand.     Normally this person has a contract with a duck meat company to supply so many thousand ducks per day / week and numerous small farmers grow for the contractor.    The contractor may also sub-contract.

Ducks in lay will only be profitable ( hopefully ) for about 40 weeks, it will depend on breed and purpose of the laying duck, i.e. laying eggs for eating or laying eggs to produce commercial meat ducks.    Of course it will also depend on the overall condition and health of the duck.

If you need any further help please don't hesitate to ask.
I am sure there are others who have been in you position who have posted on Thaivisa.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, croftrobin said:

They are about 110 each  if you buy 100

They start laying  about 4 - 6 months of age, (when you buy them they will be just before laying age) when all are of age to lay you will get up to about 90% yield.

ie 100 ducks will give you about 90 eggs a day

If you buy them from some companies, they will buy them back when older.

A tray of 30 eggs is sold via facebook in the village for 100 baht,  People might buy a bag of 4 eggs for 20 baht if you have somewhere to sell them

The ducks eat a lot of food too, if you have a pond then it will cost a bit less than just giving them commercial feed.

Yes, ducks do cost a lot to feed and are very subject to poor quality or insufficient feed, i.e. production and bird health.

If free range or part closed there is the risk of rats / dogs etc. and of course disease, vaccinations are suggested to prevent risks to the ducks and humans.

Of course one must not forget how they will clean the house at the end of lay or commercial ( meat ducks ) readiness.    There is an awfal lot of poo after the house has been emptied especially if it is a dirt floor.     Disposal can be an issue unless it is to go on one's own land.     There have also been shortages of rice shell some years.

2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Surin Livestock Breeding and Research Center is located on the 214 on east side of the highway between Surin and Prasat. My wife has done a lot of work on the subject but has moved on to other moneymakers. The lady that runs the Surin Livestock Breeding and Research Center stays in contact with my wife and come down and visit. You half be Thai with a ID card to sign up. When she calls you have come asap.  She will offer you between 300 to 600 chicks FREE she does explain to you the chicken flue and where to get the vaccine.

Btw ducklings are also FREE.