Applying for Non-O in Chiang Mai

Hello,

I came to Thailand visa-exempt, I am 50+ years, and am getting ready to apply next week for my Non-O at Chiang Mai Immigration.

Just wanted to run by you my plan - everything seems pretty straight forward:

1.) I apply at least 14 days before my visa-exempt status expires (I hope Chiang Mai is not one of those places that requires 23 days)

2,) I prove that I have 800k in my bank acounts at Bangkok Bank with a letter from them and copies of my passbooks printouts that show a total of 800k in international transfers coming in during the years of 2018, 2019, and this year.

I read that the letter must be dated the same day I apply - I plan to visit CM immigration in the afternoon.

3.) I bring a filled in TM87 form (where do I put that I apply for a Non-O???)

4.) I bring my rental contract plus land-lords copy of ID card and proof that she owns the buiilding and a print out of a google map showing the location of my place of rental.

5.) I bring originals and copies of my passport with entry stamp and both sides of TM6 plus a passport photo of myself.

6.) As I understand it, I DO NOT need one year of bank statements.

I think that should be it.

I take my bicycle to the Immigration near the airport and drop off those documents and then (how???) I will get notified that I can come and get my passport stamped with the new visa.

Is this procedure correct? Did I forget something?

Thanks for having a look and giving your advice.

Regards,

Barley

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 1:06 PM, Barley said:

Ok, here is the scoop:

When I arrived armed with a handful of papers the officer assigned to vet people and check applications told me that I cannot apply for a Non-O. No reason was given by the very nice officer, because his English was very rudimentary.

He told me I can apply for a 30 day extension to my tourist visa exempt status and handed me the appropriate forms..

So I filled out the new extension application plus these forms ST1 and ST2 (not sure I got the name right), which are basically waiver notices. Then he gave me a big Thai number thingie, which allowed me to go inside and get into the "information desk" queue.

Their English was better and they told me that Chiang Mai does not have a 15 day rule before your current permitted stay expires, but a 21 or 23 day day rule, since they claim to be so busy, that they cannot process everyone within 15 days. I was two (or four?) days short of that, and they were very nice and tried to get approval from their superior for me to go ahead with my Non-O from their superior, but they didn't go for it.

But I did get special permission to to get the 30 day extension and apply for the Non-O immediately after I had the extension stamp in my passport the same afternoon, so I don't have to do the whole bank thing anew. So that worked out, though I had to do endless trips to the copy shop and pay an additional 1900 TBH for the 30 day extension.

Why?

First of all they require the whole application thing in duplicate, including the actual visa application and the waivers, which must have identical color photos (not photo copies) and all be originally signed. I had two different photos and they were not accepted, so I had to go and get an additional set of photos made. Please sign all your documents with a BLUE ink pen, since they don't allow black ink pens.

Here are some additional pointer:

Before you apply, go to the TM30 office right next to the copy shop and get a TM30. Then copy it 2 times.

If you do the 30 day extension thing, you need a duplicate copy of this extension stamp too.

Fill out the TM6 departure form which was put in your passport at the airport - just leave the departure flight number empty. You need copies of the filled out front and back of this form also.

They are relatively easy on the bank stuff. When you get your bank certification letter,  ask your bank to only put on the letter the accounts that you need to have to add up to 800k, and that's all the accounts they wanted, even though I told them the money originally came into different accounts as a foreign transfer. But if you have several accounts on that bank certification letter, they will want all these accounts' deposit books photocopied.

I made transfers into my accounts the same day so I could show them that the books were up to date, but I am not sure that was necessary. I think I read on a sign at IO that they accept bank certification letter up to 7 days old, but I don't want to be held to that.

For a fresh Non-O application you won't need an account statement, for which my bank charges 200 TBH / account and which needs to be ordered about a week in advance - I think if you order Monday you will get it by Friday, since it needs to be sent by the main office to my branch. For the 1 year extension you probably will need such a statement, showing that your account constantly had 800k in it.

You will also need a google map printout of your residence location.

After they accepted the application they told me to come back in the afternoon of a certain day 23 days from today to get my passport stamped. They said to come directly to a certain counter with no need to wait and queue up.

Hope all this helps and will reduce your trips to the copy shop to a minimum.

By the way the immigration office closes for lunch from around 12.00 noon to 1pm. The office was pretty crowded, so I would recommend to wear a relatively fresh high quality N95 mask.

At last it should be noted that the people at the Chiang Mai IO were as helpful and sweet as can be. One of the male officers even gave me his personal number should I have any more questions.

It sounds like a nightmare to me, anyway thanks a lot for your detailed description.