Property Sold - Seller Will Not Leave

Get the condo office to turn the water off, they will do that straight away. If not a condo then try for electric but that will take time.

Send round Sharky.

Quite possible the guy won't move out the end of the month.

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

There should be a professional escrow system where the seller gets  0 satang 0 until they comply will all stipulations in a sales contact. These squatters are literally stealing from you to deny you access to your real property? Unbelievable, why not just let them stay until the rains end!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

When you hand over the money at the land office, they hand over the keys.

This is the normal way the transfer is done.

However, you know as well as I do that people always keep copies. That's why when you finally occupy said property you change the locks,  even as a simple renter.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Did you inspect the property and premises on the day of closing?  Buyer beware.  Once in the U.S. I sold a house and bought another.  Closed the deal on both and moved same day.  What a pain!  And it rained as I moved into the new place.

First place I bought, the seller was so cheap he removed many of the light bulbs.  Second place the seller removed the water softener.

Bought a house in England 1974 . All light bulbs were removed plus the toilet roll holder . 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Personally I think taking it to a lawyer and paying him to resolve this is the best solution.  The more you stay out of it the better.

I would never even contemplate buying a property in Thailand without a lawyer doing the "conveyancing". But I don't speak Thai, nor do I have a detailed knowledge of Thai property law. Even some top notch agents are pretty useless.

Edited by samtam
  • Like 1

Inspection before completion with completion only after property cleared is your only protection. Also trusted friend or family should wait in the property whilst completion takes place otherwise how do you actually know what you are buying? They could take the kitchen or a/c with them. Now you will have to employ a lawyer to apply to court for summary possession and get the police to exercise it. Be prepared for damage. Getting a locksmith to change the locks might just result in them changing them back. Have you checked that all bills have been settled?

You are gettin a lot of advise from many people?

As a long time landlord who has made a lot of mistakes, I would recomend that you consult a real estate attorney and verify what the law says?

It shouldn't cost much and might save you a lot of money and trouble?

I know its frustrating, but this is not the time to act on emotion.

11 minutes ago, dundas said:

For what it's worth, a Thai friend sold his house in Chiang Mai and stayed in it (by arrangement)a month or two after the transaction was complete. Similarly, the people next door waited a few months before the former owners moved. I don't know if that's all that unusual here. 

that's the "polite" way to do it,   when both parties are trustworthy.    of course ,  it SHOULD BE DISCUSSED  and written into the contract to be safe.

if one wants to protect themself........ then certain provisions and money held back until property is vacant should also be written down.   Lawyers ?  does anyone know a good one?

If in an area where there is a local poo yai bahn...........  a contract WITNESSED  by him/her will carry a lot of weight !   A few hundred baht for his trouble should suffice     ok, make it 500  

true story re above paragraph.     i divided a piece of land to sell some to my neighbor that wanted some.   Part of the end of a roof ( large storage building) that was on the piece they wanted would hang over into my remaining land.   I made them agree,  written in contract,  that they would remove at their expense the part that hung over. 

Later, they put off doing that , so i went to the poo yai bahn who covered this district ( not same as the witness)  ...... showed him the contract,   and he went to the buyer and told them   " get er done ! "         they did

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1