Panel to supervise 3.7 million baht in public donations for supposedly poor student wanting to be doctor

webfact

BE2D4095-5E75-42CF-97D4-BF4BC0476A9A.jpg

The Muang district office of Thailand’s northeastern province of Kalasin has set up a committee to look after about 3.7 million baht in public donations, given to an 18-year old female student who passed the entrance examination to study medical science at Mahasarakham University, but claimed she could not afford the six-year educational costs and personal spending.

The social media appeal for financial support for Nattawadee Laobubpha attracted a widespread response, as donations poured in from different sources. The latest report says that total donated amounts to 3,795,000 baht, after the student announced the closure of her appeal.

Some netizens, however, have questioned whether the student is as poor as she claims, citing the fact that she has an iPad, dental braces and an expensive perfume, leading to a viral Thai hashtag translated as “pretend to be poor.”

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/panel-to-supervise-3-7-million-baht-in-public-donations-for-supposedly-poor-student-wanting-to-be-doctor/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Expect another appeal next week when the student finds out the committee have invested her cash in amulets and lottery tickets ???? 

And then it will take yet another committee of faceless wonders to look into the first committee's actions.

• Like 2

Once saw a youtube video about how Thailand is lacking doctors and how at least at that time there was a government program that sponsors Thai people to become doctors but they have to work for the government for a certain period of time in rural hospitals.

Time passes and met some expats and Thailand healthcare came up and they said it was odd that Thailand says they lack doctors but then they will not let foreigners directly get a Thai medical license here, even if a foreigner would graduate from Thai medical college doctors program with regular Thais that studied to become doctors. The medical counsel of Thailand will not let the foreigner take the Thai medical doctor's license exams but the foreigner that graduated from the Thai medical doctor's course with regular Thais would have to go to another country and get a medical license there in another country and then come back to Thailand and take the Thai medical doctor's license exams, even though the foreigner graduated from a Thai medical college doctor's program here in Thailand with regular Thais. They said they know this because one of their expat friend's children that reads, writes, and speaks Thai wanted to go to a Thai medical school that teaches in Thai and become a doctor here in Thailand but when they researched to see if this was possible the Thai medical counsel told them that even if their child graduated from a Thai medical school that teaches in Thai, the foreigner could not take the Thai medical doctors exam but would have go to to another country and get a medical license and then come back to Thailand and take the Thai medical doctor's license exams.  This was several years ago so if anyone knows that this is not correct please let me know and I will relay the info because I still have contact with the people that told me this and their friend's child is still in high school.

Edited by zeekgarcia

6 hours ago, smedly said:

what exact right or authority does this so called panel have to intercept this money which has clearly been given to her

if she has lied or deceived people to obtain this money then prosecute her

Pot, Bees and Honey spring to mind.

Reading the whole article shows a different light. Let's just hope the officials are true to their word and that the girl was being truthful too. Buying an Ipad, even with her own savings, would suggest she is not that poor or if she is it could have been money better spent.

3.7 million is far more than is needed for the education she is pursuing. There are many many poor students out there. Let's hope the girl shares any money she may have left over with the other poor students.

This is the kind of story that you never ever hear about what happens. This is true for many of the posts and news items over all the media. I find it annoying that you never hear the result.

Did they go to jail, did they get away with it. Everything goes quiet as things are resolved, most likely by money changing hands.

Hope the girl is genuine, and she realises her goal to be a doctor.

• Like 1

I think that this is a job for

that Thai man among men

righter of wrongs

scourge of the PM

the man that everyone getting kickbacks from scanners hates

Mr do nto overstay or I will get you

Ladies and gentlemen he is NOT A JOKE

BUT

HE IS 

BIG JOKE.

I think the idea of having a committee to voersee things is a good idea if they can gt the right people.

Let's face it if she has a 

24 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Reading the whole article shows a different light. Let's just hope the officials are true to their word and that the girl was being truthful too. Buying an Ipad, even with her own savings, would suggest she is not that poor or if she is it could have been money better spent.

3.7 million is far more than is needed for the education she is pursuing. There are many many poor students out there. Let's hope the girl shares any money she may have left over with the other poor students.

An Ipad probably paid for by Khund farang for extraordinary achievement.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

That would be nice. The education itself is free as the government pays for it, and the student "repays" after graduation by working in upcountry hospitals for a normal salary. As a student you also get a dorm room, often shared with 1-3 other students, at campus. The costs will mostly be personal spending like clothing and food. 

24 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

That would be nice. The education itself is free as the government pays for it, and the student "repays" after graduation by working in upcountry hospitals for a normal salary. As a student you also get a dorm room, often shared with 1-3 other students, at campus. The costs will mostly be personal spending like clothing and food. 

The education is only free if she has a scholarship. It would appear, from the funding appeal, she does not have one.

All graduates are assigned to a government hospital for 2 years after graduation. The hospital can be anywhere in Thailand, not specific to upcountry. Graduates are usually assigned to a hospital that is not in their home province.

Edited by puchooay

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Some netizens, however, have questioned whether the student is as poor as she claims, citing the fact that she has an iPad, dental braces and an expensive perfume, leading to a viral Thai hashtag translated as “pretend to be poor.”

In all honesty I think that could be overlooked if she became a top doctor. Good Doctors are worth their weight in gold

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

Buying an Ipad, even with her own savings, would suggest she is not that poor or if she is it could have been money better spent

The young woman stated she had worked part time, saved and it is a required device for most students in most countries across the globe these days. what better spending than on ones needs to pursue and education to meet ones goals?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Under what authority has any local government official have to take control of any funds donated to a private individual?

Will this supposed panel be comprises of financial experts with a good track record in legitimate investments/ Do the panel members get a benefit from the donated for their time and expertise?

Will official auditors be part of the panel?

The young woman stated the campaign, the funds were donated to her, not to government officials, and do they insure the funds to prevent their own embezzlement of the donated funds?

Something stinks in this scheme and it is not the young woman or her family

Absolutely agree with you as to what legal authority they have to enforce this.

"make an assessment of the amount she will need to cover the six-year medical study, with the balance of the 3.7 million baht donated to be kept in another bank account"

Will the other bank account be in her name also or will the committee have control over it? If she doesn't need all of the 3.7 million what will they do with the excess? Return it to the donors in proportional amounts?

26 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

The young woman stated she had worked part time, saved and it is a required device for most students in most countries across the globe these days. what better spending than on ones needs to pursue and education to meet ones goals?

There is no need for an Ipad for studying in schools or for preparing for an entrance exam.. Some kind of tablet may be needed at some point in further education but no need for an Ipad. An internet connection with a cheap smart phone or unbranded tablet would work perfectly. How about 10 baht an hour at the local internet cafe? Lot's of 10 bahts in twenty grand. The money she spent on it would have gone a long way on other things that your average poor family needs.

23 minutes ago, puchooay said:

There is no need for an Ipad for studying in schools or for preparing for an entrance exam.. Some kind of tablet may be needed at some point in further education but no need for an Ipad. An internet connection with a cheap smart phone or unbranded tablet would work perfectly. How about 10 baht an hour at the local internet cafe? Lot's of 10 bahts in twenty grand. The money she spent on it would have gone a long way on other things that your average poor family needs.

She should definitely get one of Yingluck's tablets. I'm sure they're just collecting dust somewhere..... 

29 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Children in many countries are using devices from primary school onwards, perhaps the iPad was going to give best bang for the buck.

Her money her decision, it is called choice.

Some people drive Hondas, some Hyundai, some Bentleys, personal choice according to finances

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Children in many countries are using devices from primary school onwards, perhaps the iPad was going to give best bang for the buck.

Her money her decision, it is called choice.

Some people drive Hondas, some Hyundai, some Bentleys, personal choice according to finances

All I am saying is it a case of priorities. If she is so poor that she needs donations to study, she should not be spending 20+ grand on an Ipad.

I agree with the comments in the article. There is something not quite right here.

20 hours ago, puchooay said:

The education is only free if she has a scholarship. It would appear, from the funding appeal, she does not have one.

All graduates are assigned to a government hospital for 2 years after graduation. The hospital can be anywhere in Thailand, not specific to upcountry. Graduates are usually assigned to a hospital that is not in their home province.

Graduates can actually pick and chose where to work, but the more popular locations get more applications and people who not get their first pick will be assigned to much less desirable locations that still have spots left. In many cases applicants pick their home province to be close to their family, and in case that spot is upcountry they often get lucky and actually end up there. 

If there are limited scholarships available for the education I actually do not know, the article is also quite vague about it: she needs money "for the study" without stating what exactly will cost money and how much. In case the medical school charges yearly fees it would be 5 minutes of work for the reporter to find out how much it costs... but they didn't. 

My understanding is that the 2 years of government work after graduation is pay-back for the costs of the study, which implicates they all get a scholarship: if you chose not to they will simply present you with the bill. Some just pay that bill as they (or their family, or their future employer) have money enough and don't want them to work for 2 years somewhere possibly far away. 

On 5/15/2021 at 9:17 AM, zeekgarcia said:

Once saw a youtube video about how Thailand is lacking doctors and how at least at that time there was a government program that sponsors Thai people to become doctors but they have to work for the government for a certain period of time in rural hospitals.

Time passes and met some expats and Thailand healthcare came up and they said it was odd that Thailand says they lack doctors but then they will not let foreigners directly get a Thai medical license here, even if a foreigner would graduate from Thai medical college doctors program with regular Thais that studied to become doctors. The medical counsel of Thailand will not let the foreigner take the Thai medical doctor's license exams but the foreigner that graduated from the Thai medical doctor's course with regular Thais would have to go to another country and get a medical license there in another country and then come back to Thailand and take the Thai medical doctor's license exams, even though the foreigner graduated from a Thai medical college doctor's program here in Thailand with regular Thais. They said they know this because one of their expat friend's children that reads, writes, and speaks Thai wanted to go to a Thai medical school that teaches in Thai and become a doctor here in Thailand but when they researched to see if this was possible the Thai medical counsel told them that even if their child graduated from a Thai medical school that teaches in Thai, the foreigner could not take the Thai medical doctors exam but would have go to to another country and get a medical license and then come back to Thailand and take the Thai medical doctor's license exams.  This was several years ago so if anyone knows that this is not correct please let me know and I will relay the info because I still have contact with the people that told me this and their friend's child is still in high school.

Finding a good and knowledgeable doctor outside of the big city hospitals is nearly impossible here. I don't know how they train most of these rural muppets,  but many many of them clearly missed the pharmacology, physiology and anatomy lectures. 

12 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Graduates can actually pick and chose where to work, but the more popular locations get more applications and people who not get their first pick will be assigned to much less desirable locations that still have spots left. In many cases applicants pick their home province to be close to their family, and in case that spot is upcountry they often get lucky and actually end up there. 

If there are limited scholarships available for the education I actually do not know, the article is also quite vague about it: she needs money "for the study" without stating what exactly will cost money and how much. In case the medical school charges yearly fees it would be 5 minutes of work for the reporter to find out how much it costs... but they didn't. 

My understanding is that the 2 years of government work after graduation is pay-back for the costs of the study, which implicates they all get a scholarship: if you chose not to they will simply present you with the bill. Some just pay that bill as they (or their family, or their future employer) have money enough and don't want them to work for 2 years somewhere possibly far away. 

Incorrect once again, I'm afraid. 

I spent many years teaching medical staff English, in Thailand

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Finding a good and knowledgeable doctor outside of the big city hospitals is nearly impossible here. I don't know how they train most of these rural muppets,  but many many of them clearly missed the pharmacology, physiology and anatomy lectures. 

"Muppets" you say.

2 Questions;

1. How much training have you had as a Doctor?

2. How many hospitals have you visited to know that it is "virtually impossible" to find a knowledgeable Doctor outside of a city hospital?

I suspect you are generalising, as you usually do in your posts. Especially when putting local people down.