Prayut coming to Phuket as July 1 reopening assured

webfact

8 hours ago, madmen said:

If so why haven't they released the small print? For sure it's not open to backpackers renting 500 baht a night rooms and 7/11 cuisine.

Tourists like to plan in advance, cheaper airfares for starters. Wake me up and when they publish the astronomical fees they are keeping a secret. 

Yes that would help.

I thought the plan was that you would quarantine on the island not in a hotel so it wouldn't matter where you stayed. Someone on another thread was asking if you would have to fly into Phuket or if you could transit through BKK. The general opinion that I shared was that you'd have to fly into Phuket even though there doesn't seem to be much logic in that particularly if Qatar and Emirates are flying in as most people would have to transit through Doha or Dubai. After some thought I realised that I'd never seen that stated anywhere so it may not be the case. All I've seen is various statements by several people in government but not those that make the decisions and posters on TV.

Clarity would be very welcome.

Hey , even the PM wants to have a swim in the cleaner than usual ocean.  I bet that even in most

beach areas of Phuket the water is nice and clean. Just watch out for the jelly fish.  Plus it is a change of

scenery from Bangkok.  I know that even politicians want to get their free travel in while they are in power.

Happens all over the world.

Geezer

I live in Phuket but I traveled to the US three weeks ago to see the family and get my Pfizer vaccination (just got the second shot). When I decided to take this trip vaccinated people needed to quarantine for 7 days upon return and I was going to do that in Bangkok. Of course it's now 14 days even though I'm vaccinated. 

My return flight on Qatar Airways is scheduled into BKK on June 15. It is fully changeable and since they are scheduled to return to flying to Phuket on July 1, I could change my flight, cancel my BKK ASQ hotel and fly to Phuket. I would do that if I had confidence this was really going to happen.

So far there are no official details on when one could request a Phuket quarantine-free COE or any other requirements related to the sandbox model. Yet, you can already book direct Phuket flights on Cathay Pacific, Malaysian, Qatar, Emirates and Singapore Air beginning July 1. With all of these flights being added on July 1, the airlines seem to think this sandbox plan will happen. Officials need to provide details soon. With the COE application requirement, they can't make an announcement in late June and expect planes to be full on July 1.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

"Anti-social elements". LOL. No, the difference is Thais are sheep and don't ask questions. They'll fall off a climb if the government tells them to. Westerners, we value our freedoms more.

That stated, there are plenty of Thais questioning vaccination, particularly this one. 

How well did western notions of "freedom" serve their societies during the pandemic? Many Asians place a high value on the freedom to survive a pandemic...over not wearing a mask or getting vaccinated.