Thai Airways jumps more than 25 percent ahead of trading suspension

webfact

TG1.jpg

By Panithan Onthaworn

Shares of Thai Airways International (THAI) jumped more than 25 per cent on Friday ahead of its last trading day on next Monday, amid a possible delisting from the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET).

THAI stood at 2.48 baht by mid-day break, a rise of 11.71 per cent, after peaking at 2.82 baht, up 27 per cent, with a transaction value of 235.5 million baht.

The SET will impose a trading suspension on THAI from May 18 following the possible delisting due to negative equity, coupled with a non-compliance (NC) sign until the company is able to eliminate the grounds for delisting.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/27524/thai-airways-jumps-more-than-25-percent-ahead-of-trading-suspension/

ti.jpg

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Who is buying stock in a bankrupt company? Does the Robin Hood app work in Thailand, too?

Who, speculators, smart ones at that. There's little doubt that Thai Airways will continue to exist and their shares will climb once again.

I held TA in an LTF and their price had climbed to a reasonable height. As part of their settlement deal with creditors the banks were refunded the initial offering share price as of 2009, no profit since. A very profitable deal for TA, a lousy deal for creditors.

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Who is buying stock in a bankrupt company? Does the Robin Hood app work in Thailand, too?

Well no doubt that there will be the usual economic "experts" on here who will claim it would be sensible to buy in, but there again it is those same muppets who thought Enron was a good investment.

• Like 1

Just now, John Drake said:

And aren't most of their creditors outside of Thailand? What happens when Thai flies into a foreign airport and has its planes and facilities impounded? I guess they could limit their flights to China and Russia and get away with still being "international," but American and European creditors, I would think, will not let them get away with this?

Well with all the billions of tourists soon flocking in ( in TAT's dreams ) then perhaps it is their game plan only to fly domestic routes  and outside to China and North Korea ????

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Those in power who will make the decision as to whether it survives or not. A sure thing for those "investors".

52 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I can answer your question, having traded the SET since 1988 - back then in trading rooms stuffed with them - it's the mostly Chinese Thai aunties who like a little flutter every day, in the hope of 'winning' a thousand or two Baht. Put together across all the brokerages, they and their husbands, who generally are either retired or still running their factories on the outskirts of Bangkok, form a considerable cohort. Betting is of course illegal in Thailand, except on the occasional horse race, so aside from dubious mah jiang behind closed doors, the SET is their only opportunity to set the adrenaline coursing through their atrophying veins.

• Haha 1

Thai Airways are Thieving Bast**ds 
They still owe me for flights the cancelled and promised a refund for.

I hope they go under.

I doubt they will as to many "IMPORTANT" people use them for free.

So more likely they will remain INTERNATIONL  just for them (maybe have some sort of diplomatic immunity ) and some domestic routs.

As some have stated if they owe money overseas they will have the planes Impounded when landing.

2 hours ago, potless said:

I dont. Thai is the only airline flying directly to the UK. Nor do I want to see many people lose their jobs.

Maybe , but BA and EVA will be happy to do it all when the world opens. I've used TA and never had issues, and the staff were nice - but the staff we see are not the people running the company and fleecing it

What amazes me most are the untold Billions and Billions of dollars that have been sunk into this shell of a company....And Millions more are needed every single week to prevent complete collapse....This money is coming from somewhere....... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:
7 hours ago, potless said:

I dont. Thai is the only airline flying directly to the UK. Nor do I want to see many people lose their jobs.

Maybe , but BA and EVA will be happy to do it all when the world opens. I've used TA and never had issues, and the staff were nice - but the staff we see are not the people running the company and fleecing it

I want to return to the UK around July. BA dont look like resuming direct flights until October at the earliest. I have been monitoring Eva for a few months. They advertise flights a few months in advance and then appear to cancel them en bloc. The last time they flew to the UK was early in January. Agree about the staff.

4 hours ago, yang123 said:
7 hours ago, potless said:

Thai is the only airline flying directly to the UK. 

Sure about that?

As best as I can tell. See my reply to Richard Coleman above. If you know differently, I would like to know.

• Like 1