Teenager traveling unaccompanied

mek

My 15 year old son is supposed to move to DK to start boarding school at the beginning of the next term (August) 

Because of the present Covid situation and quarantine, my wife is not keen at joining him. I am at work elsewhere at the moment but my plan is that on my next leave from work I'll meet him in Dk. 

Will there be any problems involved in letting him go on his own? I am thinking in regards to Thai immigration. He holds dual citizenship so he is traveling with 2 passports, showing his Thai passport in Bangkok and his Danish passport on arrival in DK. He is used to travel interstate by plane so I am not worried about the trip itself. 

Mek

I think as he is under 16 he will need to be registered as an unaccompanied minor. They are normally then assigned a member of the cabin crew who will be there guardian from checking in onwards. I used to fly all the time from Australia to Uk as an UM from the age of ten to see my grandparents. 

• Like 1

+1 what @Swimfan has said.  My 14 year old Thai/American daughter has done this as well, traveled by herself, but registered as an unaccompanied Minor.  Of course I ensures she flies first class so she is not seated near someone else and its a smaller cabin where she can be watched by the staff.  Upon boarding the flight the minor is walked to the craft and boarded as well as walked and handed off to staff who ensures they are given to the parent or assigned person listed with the Airline as a guardian upon de-boarding.  Just make a call or message the airline to confirm the specifics.  Might also need to carry a letter as well.

Edited by ThailandRyan

You must check with the airline of your choice. Different companies have slightly different rules.

I booked a Thai airways direct flight bkk london for my daughter for June last year because they confirmed that a 15 year did not have to be registered as an unaccompanied minor. I didn't want unaccompanied minor because you must specify who will fetch her at the destination before flight and I didn't have anyone who could do that, she's used to flying and doesn't need any help either. Not registered as unaccompanied minor and she can walk straight off the plane. An adult must send the child off at the departure check-in desk regardless of unaccompanied minor status. The flight got cancelled because of covid-19 so she never got to go but this is what I found when I checked last year.

She flew from Sweden to Thailand alone in June last year with SAS and then KLM (the KLM was a repatriation flight, the SAS flight was not). She was 15 then, no unaccompanied minor, no one cared, so many kids flying alone in Europe.

Both the mother and you should go to amphur and get a "allowed to travel official printout", not sure what the official name is. All legal guardians must allow child to leave country. He may not get through Thai immigration without that

Edited by MikeyIdea