Thailand reports 3,095 COVID-19 cases, 17 new deaths

webfact

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The only larger total was Thursday's 4,887 tally, of which 2,835 was a previously unreported accumulation of 2,835 prison cases, and 2,052 general population cases.

Given the fact that the government did not post that figure. Do you have any info on deaths attributed to pneumonia.

1 hour ago, Kiujunn said:

That's misleading. 

In the Bangkok metropolitan area (provinces of Bangkok,  Pathum, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan etc) numbers have been continuously climbing up. They are now in the range wer are used to see in Europe or the US.

In the rest of the country they went down. Isaan looks very good now, CM has improved a lot, Chonburi will open up...

Add the numbers of Bangkok to the numbers upcountry, and you get seemingly stable 2000.

Is it sustainable to have a hot-spot metropolis surrounded by "clean" countryside?

Obviously not.

What usually happens is that the disease will spread upcountry, but it takes quite a few months. 

You're correct I think, look at other countries. In the UK the the new variant spread from Kent to the whole country but took a couple of months. Now have the India variant which they are getting very concerned about, probably because they saw what happened last November. Complacency by the population is the biggest risk, the "it's in Bangkok, not here, don't worry". Problem is, by the time they see it's there it's too late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pneumonia is often a symptom element of the most serious COVID cases... in other words, the COVID infection leads to pneumonia conditions among others...

I haven't seen anything recently that attempts to separate out routine non COVID pneumonia from COVID cases with pneumonia.

PS - the part you're quoting me on above was a general recap of COVID cases reported, and nothing to do about pneumonia.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Thais and foreigners in Phuket caught not wearing face masks punished by exercising instead of fines – VIDEO

Phuket officials warned foreigners and Thais in Phuket who were found not wearing face masks for their first time by exercise punishment yesterday, as a soft warning versus stiff fines.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/15/thais-and-foreigners-in-phuket-caught-not-wearing-face-masks-punished-by-exercising-instead-of-fines-video/

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Swimfan said:

They now have over 36k in hospital. Field hospital and hosphotel or whatever it is called. There is no way this model will be sustainable if the number continues to rise. The overall cost and potential for significant numbers of medical personnel to become infected therefore potentially seriously affecting staffing levels and the systems ability to cope with critical cases. 
it’s a disaster waiting to happen. 

It is already a disaster, and it is happening right now.

Its just the early stages.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The news comes as Buriram becomes first Thai province to penalize refusal for COVID-19 vaccine.

Here we go.. Moderna not available until October... you will take Sinovac or AZ or be a victim of the governments jackboot.

49 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The blue bars are self referred cases, the tan are cases from outreach testing, and the gray are prison cases.

05-15-21o.jpg.28f3fc718663a966e63f89de2f74588b.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/325553649062966/?type=3

Somebody in goverment can make nice bars! How many different color they going to add! Now have grey for prison! Next nice (cant be green) for bus infection follow forest infection......

Covid is covid make one F bar and maybe tell in other time where people have get it!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Thais and foreigners in Phuket caught not wearing face masks punished by exercising instead of fines – VIDEO

Phuket officials warned foreigners and Thais in Phuket who were found not wearing face masks for their first time by exercise punishment yesterday, as a soft warning versus stiff fines.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/15/thais-and-foreigners-in-phuket-caught-not-wearing-face-masks-punished-by-exercising-instead-of-fines-video/

Well that's using their discretion obviously.

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Nothing wrong with planning. Bulldozing to a launch date without supporting data, is illogical.

ask yourself this. It takes two jabs, several weeks apart, followed by a 10 day wait, for full protection to be achieved. So how will 70% of Phuket be vaccinated by 1st July?

planning to reopen is logical because it has to happen sometime, planning to reopen on a date before it’s supported by data, is illogical.

but opening will involve opening bars, gyms etc so that the unicorn tourists have somewhere to play. And if you open those, surely you can’t justify keeping schools closed. And with that happening, will local transmission take place?

The only thing I can think of that makes any sense is that the authorities have decided that no tourists will come any way, so might as well open and be damned.

"Bulldozing," it's one minister proposing policies and action for his department in preparation for possible reopening 6 months down the road. And it's not like he has the final say on anything. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

11 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

"Bulldozing," it's one minister proposing policies and action for his department in preparation for possible reopening 6 months down the road. And it's not like he has the final say on anything. 

Perhaps some misunderstanding. 

my post was in reference to the opening of Phuket on 1st July, approximately 6 weeks away, the need for 70% of residents to be “vaccinated” for herd immunity and the information releases from several local and central government officials giving reassurances about the ability to reach the vaccination target.

given the time line for fully effective vaccination, planning for a July 1st date doesn’t seem logical.

Jonathan Head

@pakhead

·

20m

Thailand’s vaccine programme is evolving fast from its incoherent state a couple of months ago. Some very welcome common sense here, and hopefully an indication that the vaccine programme is getting up to speed.

Richard Barrow

@RichardBarrow

· 21m

Good news for foreigners looking to be vaccinated was announced by Khun @NatapanuN: All foreigners will be eligible for free vaccinations A special app is being produced to help foreigners register A dedicated vaccination center is planned for non-Thai speakers twitter.com/thainewsreport…

https://twitter.com/pakhead/status/1393500074638856195

Interesting Covid spike happening in Seychelles Islands where more than 60% of people are vaccinated.   They were vaccinated with Sinica and AstraZeneca (mfg in India if it matters).

Roughly 60 percent of the doses administered in Seychelles are vaccines made by the Chinese company Sinopharm that were donated to the Seychelles by the United Arab Emirates. The remaining doses are of the vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and produced by the Serum Institute of India.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/05/06/seychelles-vaccines-covid-cases/

The new cases are not as severe, but still makes one wonder if other vaccines would fair better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And the daily MoPH graphic showing the daily trends in Thailand's new COVID case counts since the beginning of April. The blue bars are self referred cases, the tan are cases from outreach testing, and the gray are prison cases.

05-15-21o.jpg.28f3fc718663a966e63f89de2f74588b.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/325553649062966/?type=3

When they made the prison numbers in the graph the "grey area" did they do that on purpose or was it just a fluke?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Petey11 said:

You're correct I think, look at other countries. In the UK the the new variant spread from Kent to the whole country but took a couple of months. Now have the India variant which they are getting very concerned about, probably because they saw what happened last November. Complacency by the population is the biggest risk, the "it's in Bangkok, not here, don't worry". Problem is, by the time they see it's there it's too late.

Agree totally. Plus Bangkok is hardly cut off from the rest of the country, it’s a major transit hub by air, land and sea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

Only if you include some cases up to 15 months old. If you sort the Worldometers list by new infections (a lot more relevant to the current situation), Thailand is currently #35 in the world.

The weekly trends section shows totals over the last 7 days and when sorted that way, Thailand becomes #30 in new infections, up from #35 when using the previous 7 days figures.

Suggesting that Thailand is now #92 is just denying the current situation.

Well what I see is daily updates. I know this site has problems because it relies on truth. China is 97?Now way. The same as many other countries fudge the figures includind Thailand. The point is Thailand is going up the charts with a bullet. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

I don’t get it...what vaccines will they be using for this? Haven’t they got like 500,000 available vaccines?

In theory the AZ vaccine produced locally will be available from June. They are acting like the whole months supply will be available on June 1st. Whether that is realistic or not I don’t know. Production glitches aren’t exactly unknown for AZ. Just ask the EU ????

54 minutes ago, anchadian said:

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1393526188023287812

BREAKING: The Department of Corrections has announced they’ve found 1,219 more infections in three prisons:

Klong Prem Central Prison: 510 cases

Bangkok Remand Prison: 88 cases

Thonburi Remand Prison: 621 cases

How many different prisons are there, spread out all over Thailand???  ????

I think I'd better be getting out my 10-digit calculator!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think I'd better be getting out my 10-key calculator!

The department manages 143 or 144 central prisons, provincial prisons, district prisons and other correctional facilities across Thailand, housing some 45,796 female (13.7 percent) and 288,483 male prisoners. Overcrowding has been reported at 143 prisons

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Bangkok's governor has posted a map of what he said will be 25 walk-in vaccination centers that will be opened soon:

847495587_25VaccinationCentersforBKK.jpg.d68973bf76d47749b858d01bd700b02e.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/aswinkwanmuang/posts/1058000591274763

Via Facebook translation:

"Bangkok. Preparing to serve vaccines as soon as they are allocated. Apart from injection in hospital. And I have prepared to inject to general public outside the hospital area. In collaboration with the Chamber of Commerce of Thailand to open ′′ COVID-19 vaccination service cooperation ′′ across Bangkok area.

Outside hospital vaccination to the public thoroughly. Conveniently come to injection with the target of injection at outside the hospital. 1,000-3,000 people per day. Total of 25 will serve 38,000-50,000 person / day and 126 hospital injections to seniors. 7 chronic disease patients per day. Total people will inject 80,000 per day.

The vaccination service will be provided as soon as it is allocated for 7 months consecutively and fast as it will be given to people to get thoroughly and quickly to control this epidemic."

Here, fortunately, is the EN version of all the vaccine center locations for BKK listed in the TH language map above...  from a different TVF thread on the same topic:

Central area

1 University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce

2 Bhumirajanagarindra Kidney Institute

Northern area:

3 SCG Bang Sue

4 Central Ladprao

5 SCB main office (Chatuchak near Major Ratchayothin)

6 Sri Pathum University

7 Central Festival Eastville

Northern Thonburi

8 Central Pinklao

9 Icon Siam

10 Lotus Pinklao

Southern Thonburi

11 PTT gas station Rama 2

12 The Mall Bangkhae

13 Big C Bang Bon

Southern Bangkok

14 Sam Yan Mitr Town

15 Thanya Park

16 True Digital Park

17 Asiatique

18 Central World

19 Siam Paragon

20 Lotus Rama 4

21 Emporium

Eastern Bangkok

22 The Mall Bangkapi

23 Robinson's Lat Krabang

24 Lotus Minburi

25 Big C Romklao

• Like 1

Just now, anchadian said:

The department manages 143 or 144 central prisons, provincial prisons, district prisons and other correctional facilities across Thailand, housing some 45,796 female (13.7 percent) and 288,483 male prisoners. Overcrowding has been reported at 143 prisons

It was more of a rhetorical question on my part.... ????

But... good to know, now that you've filled in the details!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think I'd better be getting out my 10-key calculator!

Wait you use a calculator, damn I am still using my Abacus.  No wonder it has been taking me forever to figure out the numbers in the prisons.Data is a little old but you get the gist in the number of prisons spread throughout Thailand

The department manages 143 or 144 central prisons, provincial prisons, district prisons and other correctional facilities across Thailand,

Deleted

image.png

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:

LOL, you beat me by that much @anchadian

4 minutes ago, anchadian said:

That was the 2015 count. Prison population early 2020 was 374000

7 minutes ago, anchadian said:

THIS JUST IN: Relaxing of some #COVID19 measures to come into effect on Monday, May 17, despite steady high numbers.

Chiefly it allows in-dining at eateries at 25% capacity until 9pm in “dark red zones” (incl. BK, Nonthaburi, Pathumthani and Samut Prakarn), but still no alcohol

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1393547051615457283

#BREAKING Starting Monday, restaurants in BKK, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, and Samut Prakan will be allowed to offer dine-in services at 25 percent of seating capacity until 9pm. Restaurants in other 17 "Red Zone" provinces will be allowed until 11pm without seating limitations.

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1393550349575720960

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It was more of a rhetorical question on my part.... ????

But... good to know, now that you've filled in the details!

10% of that lot would be a lot of cases. Assuming a 10% positivity rate.

With one Bangkok prison at a 50% positivity rate, it doesn’t bear thinking about if that is the case at others.