New 120 km/h speed limit a success, says transport minister

webfact

2 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

What the speed limit in the hard shoulder .going the wrong way ?

As fast as the Grab driver or Moto Taxi needs to go regardless of pedestrians.  Does that answer you question.  I watch as they drive wrong way past the police box at Rama 4/Sathon Thai road, and no action is ever taken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it would have made more sense to make the two middle lanes 100 max and 80 minimum.

Let's get it right. This only applies to 4 lanes each way, with no U turns, and if it is posted as such, yes?

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

What the speed limit in the hard shoulder .going the wrong way ?

Depends on mode:

Rot Thai

motorcy

tractor

pickup truck (using four way flashers)

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

As fast as the Grab driver or Moto Taxi needs to go regardless of pedestrians.  Does that answer you question.  I watch as they drive wrong way past the police box at Rama 4/Sathon Thai road, and no action is ever taken.

1) The police box is air conditioned, the outside is not.

2) How much cash do these chaps on motorcycles carry?

3) To what extent do they, collectively, contribute already to informal police funding (especially the Moto Taxi groups)!

11 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I like Asia because it is different. If one only came here because it is/was deemed to be cheaper then moan away at the differences

there is Asia and then there is stupid.  They are not intertwined.  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Ask any Thai what the speed limit is on any road, I bet less than one in ten would know anyway, and if they did it would never apply to them

Ask any foreigner what the speed limit is on any road, I bet less than one in ten (who've been here for years) would know anyway, and if they did it would never apply to them.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

120 kph = 74.5645 mph. Not even autobahn speeds. Are buses and 18-wheelers and dawdlers (60 kph drivers) allowed in the 'fast lane'?

Well, 120kph is the autobahn speed limit in Switzerland and Belgium, as well as the highest permitted speed on Vietnamese and Chinese expressways. It happens to be higher than the Malaysian expressway speed limit (which is 110km/h) and for that matter, the speed limit on Australian expressways/motorways and rural highways, which is also 110km/h. The single exception is the Northern Territory, where 130km/h is permitted on rural highways. 

I think 120 is a reasonable speed limit. It is however a bit odd that Thai highways and expressways now share the same speed limit. Perhaps 130 would be in order for expressways; though they are far and few between. Those stretches to which this could apply are heavily congested to the point that it can be difficult to even go above 120 (for example, Bang Na to Bang Pa-in and Bangkok-Chonburi, particularly between Rama 9 road and Lad Krabang). Not to mention they really need to redesign those bridges over the canals, particularly on motorway 7 between Rama 9 and just beyond Lad Krabang. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Not to mention they really need to redesign those bridges over the canals, particularly on motorway 7 between Rama 9 and just beyond Lad Krabang. 

Where the limit is still 90?

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously, the limit indicated on the last sign you passed is the limit.

Not quite. They often have contradictory speed limits - a flashing 90 sign and 10 meters behind that, a stationary 120 sign.

I just assume it's 120 throughout and that's what I drive, traffic permitting. 

More recently I've noticed they've started taking down the contradictory signs and for the first time, the flashing speed limit sign shows 100, 110 or even 120, depending on traffic conditions. Previously it only ever showed 90, for no good reason at all. Now it seems they are adjusted as an advisory speed, according to the level of traffic. However, 120 remains the limit so even if there is a flashing sign showing 100, that appears to be advisory only. 

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The posted minimum speed limit should answer your question.

Either side of schools in my area, there are 30 on a blue circlular background signs. !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Where the limit is still 90?

It's 120. But the issue is, even at 90 you are flying off the bridges. If they made the approaches more gradual and smooth, it would be safe to do 120. Everyone seems to slow from whatever they're doing to 90 or 100. 

Edited by TheFreqFlyer

What could possibly go wrong with having a 40km difference in speed from 1 lane to another, a resounding success they said the Stupidity of the decisions makers in Thailand never ceases to amaze,  having a national average of 50 to 60 road  deaths a day is not enough we can do better, time will tell what a resounding success looks like.