Bail For Godfather

john b good

CRIME

`Godfather' paid hitmen to murder

Somchai Khunpluem leaves the court room after the Criminal Court found him guilty of hiring gunmen to kill his rival, and sentenced him to 25 years in prison yesterday. _ BOONNARONG BHUDHIPANYA

Kamnan Poh receives 25-year jail sentence

Post reporters

Somchai Khunpluem, alias Kamnan Poh and father of Tourism and Sports Minister Sonthaya Khunpluem, was yesterday sentenced to 25 years in jail after the Criminal Court found him guilty of paying gunmen three million baht to murder a rival, Prayoon Sitthichote.

Thanawut Kerdkiatkul, the would-be assassin, and his accomplices, tried four times to kill Prayoon, a business tycoon and kamnan of tambon Samet in Chon Buri, but failed. Prayoon was later shot dead by another group of hitmen which is still at large.

Pasakorn Homhuan, 38, an aide and collaborator of Somchai, 66, was found guilty of the same charge and also sentenced to 25 years in jail.

Somchai, dubbed the ``Godfather of Chon Buri'', will begin serving his time for masterminding the murder after completing another jail sentence handed down a few months ago by Chon Buri court for corruption, the court said.

The indictment charged that Somchai, mayor of tambon Saen Suk in Chon Buri, wanted Prayoon dead out of both anger and fear that Prayoon would take revenge for the murders of his younger brother, Prayuth Sitthichote and friend Chamnian Huiweng, by Pol Lt-Col Chaiyan Wichaidit.

Prayuth, Chamnian and Pol Lt-Col Chaiyan, a close aide to Kamnan Poh, smuggled contraband alcohol and cigarettes together. They made 12 million baht in profits but Pol Lt-Col Chaiyan took all the money for himself and then kidnapped and killed Prayuth and Chamnian with the full knowledge of Kamnan Poh.

Pol Lt-Col Chaiyan was later slain by Lertchai Parakij, Prayoon's cousin, and Yothin Sitthichote, Prayoon's nephew.

Somchai then pledged Thanawut and his gang three million baht if they successfully killed Prayoon.

The defendants said they knew Pol Lt-Col Chaiyan but had never been involved in his conflict with Prayoon.

Pol Maj-Gen Panupong Singhara na Ayutthaya, deputy commissioner of the Central Investigation Bureau, however, testified that while he was Chon Buri police chief he knew that Pol Lt-Col Chaiyan had helped protect Kamnan Poh's business interests.

He stated that Pol Lt-Col Chaiyan's murder had resulted in the kamnan becoming fearful that he too could be murdered by Prayoon so Kamnan Poh then decided to kill Prayoon first.

The court said there was no reason to believe Thanawut and Pasit Taengtumrungroj, found guilty earlier of violating the firearms law and each sentenced to eight years in jail, had framed Somchai and Pasakorn, as argued by the defence.

They gave detailed statements against Somchai and Pasakorn that were solid and rational, the court said.

Police suspect the kamnan also hired a second team of gunmen who finally finished the job but they have insufficient evidence to prove this.

Somchai and Pasakorn were released on 10 million baht bail each. Their lawyers will appeal their sentences.

................................................................................

Did you expect anything else? there is still the appeal to come.

:D

I understand that they are going to appeal.

Part of my comment/question is why he is not on the inside looking out on the other charge.

I guess though that he is appealing that as well. :o

Now that he has received a fairly hefty sentence what's the bet he doesn't do a runner.

On the matter of pride (the minister and his family) they probably are as the majority (of politicians) probably have a few folks amongst their family members who are not a whole lot different (than Poh)

Did you expect anything else? there is still the appeal to come.

I understand that they are going to appeal.

Part of my comment/question is why he is not on the inside looking out on the other charge.

I guess though that he is appealing that as well. :D

Now that he has received a fairly hefty sentence what's the bet he doesn't do a runner.

On the matter of pride (the minister and his family) they probably are as the majority (of politicians) probably have a few folks amongst their family members who are not a whole lot different (than Poh)

Yeah, a convicted and sentenced murderer let out on bail??? :D

John, I admit to feeling a bit jaded, too, as you've seen in a couple of responses

For me, frankly, it gives me more enjoyment than frustration now to read such stuff. I think, at some point, I just over-loaded on the weirdness and dichotomies that I simply couldn't process and went into survival mode...Now, it's more of an interesting study in Societal Behaviours. And, since I've been watching pretty close for a long time, most of the names have recognized backgrounds, and so many curious alliances! A Soap Opera.

I know I can't control anything here. Truly, I probably have more influence over Bush!

I'm also grateful we can read such news. No other country in the region has a freerer press (not to suggest the press is free enough here), that I'm aware of. Of course, that includes all the bullshit, but I'm a believer in seeing all sides to get a better view

Luckily, that relative freedom of speech and press includes forums such as this. I've also written extremely critical pieces about the government on my websites, and my own forum. So far, so good. I know I'm simply relying on faith, like when I drive here. I haven't had any problems driving yet, so I have reason for my faith, perhaps. :o

Or, perhaps not. TiT :D

The celebrity kamnan's appeal may take years or perhaps decades to process. Convicted of murder but out and about having fun. Can't expect the authorities to lock the gentleman up in a prison already overcrowded with petty crims!

• 4 years later...
Is he still on the run?

Yes.

In fact I think his son, Itipon, is mayor of Pattaya too.

Oh they still control a lot of the lcoal government of Chonburi and are still"respected throughout" Eastern Thailand (and beyond) even if the they were a bit shocked when the Dems wiped them out in every Chonburi seat in the last national election.

I doubt he will ever serve his sentence. Now that he's out on bail and convicted, he'll run across the border somewhere and bye bye.

You may want to check that the story is actually five years old. Though he did do a runner to Cambodia, those in the know say that he's now actually living back in Chonburi. TIT

There's no need to run anywhere when you live in a province that you have so much influence in. The people clearly weren't disgusted enough to not elect his two sons to public office.

:o

There's no need to run anywhere when you live in a province that you have so much influence in. The people clearly weren't disgusted enough to not elect his two sons to public office.

Money, as usual in Thailand, is more important than the integrity or suitability of the candidates.

Yeah sure, money doesn't rule the rest of the planet nor does it make the world go 'round.

Comparing the political and judicial situation in Thailand to the US or Britain is a bit like comparing a 20 year old bicycle to an Aston Martin. Although there are exceptions, by and large, the political systems of Anglo countries are around 800 years ahead (Magna Carta) of Mickey Mouse Thai politics and judiciary. But you know that.

The only thing that has gotten more advanced are the types of corruption involved. Just because lobbyists have replaced paper envelopes doesn't mean it isn't there or that likely the scale is much larger given the size of the economies involved. But I'm sure you know that.

The only thing that has gotten more advanced are the types of corruption involved. Just because lobbyists have replaced paper envelopes doesn't mean it isn't there or that likely the scale is much larger given the size of the economies involved. But I'm sure you know that.

The godfather that is the focus of this thread is a convicted murdering mafia boss walking free who had a son become a government minister under Thaksin. Charlerm, a police captain, very recently nearly became prime minister. Charlem is a murdering thug who runs gambling in Bangkok and was the enforcer of Thai police generals until he was run out of town in the early 90s. His sons are murdering thugs. Your commerce minister is a brothel owner. A fishing village environmentalist protester of CP's shrimp farms was executed by military gunmen in front of his family. A Muslim civil rights lawyer was most certainly murdered by police on the orders of the then current prime minister. Thaksin was found not guilty of concealing assets when he transferred the bulk of his fortune to his driver and maid. The police executed a list of people who were inconsiderate enough to think stolen Saudi gems should be returned to their lawful owner. It goes on and on. The top of the tree here is so rotten hel_l has had to build a bigger gate to allow all the Thai puu yais entry. But I'm sure you know that.

There is no comparison to the government of any Anglo country.

And haven't lobbyists just been thrown out of the temple by Obhama?

Edited by Loaded

Heng thought he was winning on points until Loaded came back with an almighty knockout punch.

As Heng is carried out on the stretcher watch him make a simpering quip just before the ambulance doors close being as he always have to have the last word followed by a smiley face.

Oh, and Kamnan Poh will always be free as a bird.

The godfather that is the focus of this thread is a convicted murdering mafia boss walking free who had a son become a government minister under Thaksin. Charlerm, a police captain, very recently nearly became prime minister. Charlem is a murdering thug who runs gambling in Bangkok and was the enforcer of Thai police generals until he was run out of town in the early 90s. His sons are murdering thugs. Your commerce minister is a brothel owner. A fishing village environmentalist protester of CP's shrimp farms was executed by military gunmen in front of his family. A Muslim civil rights lawyer was most certainly murdered by police on the orders of the then current prime minister. Thaksin was found not guilty of concealing assets when he transferred the bulk of his fortune to his driver and maid. The police executed a list of people who were inconsiderate enough to think stolen Saudi gems should be returned to their lawful owner. It goes on and on. The top of the tree here is so rotten hel_l has had to build a bigger gate to allow all the Thai puu yais entry. But I'm sure you know that.

There is no comparison to the government of any Anglo country.

And haven't lobbyists just been thrown out of the temple by Obhama?

The only difference between the rockstars that can be named and the ones that hide behind corporate entities is well... there is none. Try comparing the total amount of damaged caused in financial terms or even lives lost between say Charlerm (and all the lowlifes he consorts with even), Thaksin (and even his whole administration), Kamnan Poh (etc. etc.) and say the Halliburtons, Blackwaters, Enrons, Northern Rocks of the world and the political mechanisms that allowed them to prosper/and in many cases directly giving them gov't contracts. Don't forget to include things like invading countries for profit, and setting up puppet drug dealing governments (and all the suffering and deaths down the line that are a result of...), and any cases where corporate white collar fraud has caused hundreds of thousand (and likely millions over time) to lose their jobs and quality of life (no doubt also resulting in countless deaths... just not the kind that makes the news).

(smiley face on the house as usual)

Heng thought he was winning on points until Loaded came back with an almighty knockout punch.

As Heng is carried out on the stretcher watch him make a simpering quip just before the ambulance doors close being as he always have to have the last word followed by a smiley face.

Oh, and Kamnan Poh will always be free as a bird.

LOLZ. Sounds like you would have been on the first flight out of Saigon, Briggs. Why the rush, when we have all century to do this?

Thailand is less sophisticated and there is very little press freedom.

In the USA, for example, those doing the corruption have to be much more careful how they go about it. But, yes, I agree with Heng, the West ultimately causes more pain and suffering (hello, Iraq).

You see those photos of the meetings between the world leaders and the Thai officials are always sort of wandering around on the sidelines like nobody even knows their first name or has any reason to talk to them... Well, you didn't see too many High School Seniors hanging out with Freshman, did you? There are more hands in the cookie jar here. The corruption in the West is more organized and centralized.

The thing is, people are sheep. What do you call a gang threatening violence if you don't pay them? The Mafia? No, its called the IRS. Legal, extortion. But when those men wear suits and smile its soooooo very much different than the Tony Soprano... In reality, its just a small step up. More organized, more businesslike, more professional.. but ultimately, the same.

The movie Thank You For Not Smoking is a good watch as it gets into the mindset of a lobbyist.

Edited by TonySoprano