Best Place to Find Probiotics in Bangkok?

NCC1701A

I have recently been subjected to a huge amount of antibiotics. 

I am looking for something to help put my digestive system back in order. 

so best place to buy with a good selection? I am near Asok BTS but can travel anywhere near BTS/MRT line. 

I am thinking to do a huge amount at first. Not sure. 

looking for something that i can read the label on and is western manufacture.

Thank you. 

P.S. It says probiotics, not prophylactics. 

Edited by NCC1701A

I believe you have those yakult kind of probiotics (for sale everywhere) and you even got kefir for sale in villa i think. 

See don't be so naughty you get all kinds of diseases girls are fun but not if they give you presents like that ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I believe you have those yakult kind of probiotics (for sale everywhere) and you even got kefir for sale in villa i think. 

See don't be so naughty you get all kinds of diseases girls are fun but not if they give you presents like that ????

thank you. looking for something that i can read the label on and is western manufacture. sorry i will edit my topic. 

oh now i see they come from japan. that will do. thank you. 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

Try Yolida, I've used it for years, not a problem. Readily available in Big C and Tops.

I used to always take Yolida, but it wasn't stocked at every shop, then Meiji Bulgaria with LB81 live bacteria appeared in every 7-11/Tesco/BigC for 20bht a tub.

If you're as tight as me you can use it as a starter to make your own yogurt at home.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mason45 said:

Try Yolida, I've used it for years, not a problem. Readily available in Big C and Tops.

yes......it is a brand of yoghurt          dutchee and most other "famous"  brands not the real thing

Rimping in CM  has it  and Makro too  cheaper at  50 baht

Edited by rumak

Above is all good advice,  but maybe you come from the place where "in pills we trust".

The most common probiotic here is Infloran. Available in many big pharmacies (the one in Soi 15 probably has it, the one in Soi 77 always has it, 50m inside Soi 77 on the right hand side, closed on sundays - BTS Onnut). Made in Italy. Must be cooled during transport (they give you some ice, so plan to return home from the pharmacy straight away). 

A course (one pack) costs maybe 400 B.

There is very little proof that probiotics have any positive effect.  There are even studies to the contrary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rumak said:

yes......it is a brand of yoghurt          dutchee and most other "famous"  brands not the real thing

Rimping in CM  has it  and Makro too  cheaper at  50 baht

Yolinda is a good yoghurt unlike the Dutchee one.. the Dutch should sue or launch missiles on the Thais for associating their name with such a lousy product. Ill call PM Rutte. 

I actually like Yolinda and i like the 1.8 kg tubs of yogurt they have. Now not eating too much of it but normally i would have a 200-300 gram with musli (the kind without added sugar), some protein powder with flavor and some blueberries. 

I even added flax seed oil. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kiujunn said:

Above is all good advice,  but maybe you come from the place where "in pills we trust".

The most common probiotic here is Infloran. Available in many big pharmacies (the one in Soi 15 probably has it, the one in Soi 77 always has it, 50m inside Soi 77 on the right hand side, closed on sundays - BTS Onnut). Made in Italy. Must be cooled during transport (they give you some ice, so plan to return home from the pharmacy straight away). 

A course (one pack) costs maybe 400 B.

There is very little proof that probiotics have any positive effect.  There are even studies to the contrary. 

Actually there is a lot of proof that changing the gut flora works. But yes a lot of pro biotics don't do their work. Best is to change your diet and that changes your gut flora. But i don't see why one would not try pro biotics after anti biotics. I really try to stay away from anti biotics as they really do kill everything. Still best to have then available when needed but not for every small things like many Thais seem to think.

• Confused 1

I order from iherb.  Most of the yogurts and krauts, kimchi, miso etc 'are too low in probiotics to offer the health benefits seen in clinical trials'.  When it Is pasteurized, it does not contain live probiotics any longer. They are killed and so you get none of the probiotic benefits.  Study up if you are looking for probiotics in food, it's not as common as it was 100 years ago due to processing. 

I was experiencing gut issues about a year ago and started taking 1 probiotic supplement a day, it fixed it for me. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

actually like Yolinda and i like the 1.8 kg tubs

Never seen 1.8kg. Where can I get them?  I only know 500g.

BTW it's Yolida, isn't it?

Edited by Kiujunn

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I actually like Yolinda and i like the 1.8 kg tubs of yogurt they have. Now not eating too much of it but normally i would have a 200-300 gram with musli (the kind without added sugar), some protein powder with flavor and some blueberries. 

I even added flax seed oil. 

don't add any steroids????????

ps:  i am expecting a serious answer from you.    please surprise me with some humor  .................

38 minutes ago, rumak said:

don't add any steroids????????

ps:  i am expecting a serious answer from you.    please surprise me with some humor  .................

Nah steroids don't go well with yoghurt, they go better with something with a higher iron content.

Unable to locate Yakult at 7 Eleven, Family Mart, Gourmet Market or Tops Market. I will keep looking. I will check Villa tomorrow. 

I did find Yolida at Tops, but it is Thai made and I am trying to avoid Thai products. 

will look at Infloran tomorrow. Thank you. 

8 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Unable to locate Yakult at 7 Eleven, Family Mart, Gourmet Market or Tops Market. I will keep looking. I will check Villa tomorrow. 

I did find Yolida at Tops, but it is Thai made and I am trying to avoid Thai products. 

will look at Infloran tomorrow. Thank you. 

Does that include woman ?

Forget about yogurts and kefirs. If you'd like to get any therapeutic dose from yogurt, you'd have to eat around 8kg of that stuff per day (I didn't make it up, there's research on it). Good luck with that.

Quick advice for you guys: As long as you don't know what Lactobacillus Plantarum 299v is or understand the differences between Bifidobacterium longum BL03 and Bifidobacterium bifidum BB01 etc, don't give any advice about probiotics. You only misinform.

Basically, you can't buy any good quality probiotics in Thailand. This field seems to be overlooked, similar to the case of other essential nutrition supplements. However, you can order some stuff from IHerb. I won't paste here any links to the particular products (as it's probably breaking the forum regulations), but there are plenty of choices on that store, and delivery is free (but you have to wait around 2 weeks for the package).

Focus on multi-strain products with a high amount of bifidobacterium. Then take it every day just before your bedtime for 3 months. After that period, it'd be perfect if you'd take it for another 9 months in a mode "10 days on, 20 days off". After that kind of therapy, you'll notice a way more better overall life performance. Remember, we have around 2.5 kg of bacterias in our intestines and they're responsible for many processes in our bodies. Unfortunately, I can say that at least 95% of people have complete rubbish in their guts.

The preserved tight barrier of the small intestine and a healthy microbiome in the large intestine are the absolute basics. With a leaky gut, bacteria and other antigens easily enter the bloodstream, this, in turn, generates an increased amount of antibodies against the brain, heart, and adrenal gland (and that leads to the development of autoimmune diseases).

It's way more complicated, I will not go into details now. Just order the multi-strain probiotic with a high amount of bifidobacterium from the Iherb, and take it for at least 3 months daily. Forget about eating yogurts and other <deleted>.

In my experience Kimchi helps get your gut back to where it's supposed to be faster than yogurt. You really have to eat a ton of yogurt to make any difference. Plus... if you've ever tried to make yogurt from yogurt, you know that the "active cultures" claim isn't always true.

Kimchi that's been in the fridge for a couple weeks and is super fizzy/carbonated is of course the best, but any good kimchi with active cultures will do wonders for getting your gut flora back in balance.

Plus... it's easier to snack on kimchi all day than it is to eat a ton of yogurt.

Edited by Senechal
  • Thanks 1