Any lower cost indian restaurants still open?

Hal65

There used to be a place in Big C Central/South but it closed last year. Now most places charge foreigner prices, 150-300 thb per main dish. Does anyone know of any cheaper places?

Thais generally won't eat Indian food, so you only find cheap places where Indian workers congregate, such as Royal India and others in Pharurat (Little India) next to Chinatown. There used to be Indian canteens in the soi up the side of the old GPO on New Road (Charoen Krung), but I haven't been there for years so can't say whether or not they still exist. The tourist Indian restaurants on lower Sukhumvit are pricey and not good value, the same goes for the Indian places in the mall food halls.

Edited by Pottinger

To the OP.

No nothing as cheap as the closed place you mentioned but in my opinion the food there was not good.

You could try alibaba express delivery. 

https://m.facebook.com/alibabaexpressdelivery/

My go to now is Indian Rasoi. Prices are pretty moderate some even low like 80 baht for dal tadka.

There are often great discount codes on the apps that can really bring the price down.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Because they charge falang price I tend to go to Hungry Hippo when I want a curry, their Beef madras was very good the other day. Chicken madras also pretty good

A bit confused by their idea of Nan bread though, makes me think of a potato cake. 

Quite a mix in this thread of recommendations for Pattaya and Bangkok.

It's about Pattaya!

I don't have experience with Indian restaurants.

But my first guess would be looking around Soi 16 of Pattaya Klang (central rd.) and adjoining side Sois.

It's opposite Soi Buakhao junction a bit towards 2nd rd.

Multiple Indian restaurants of different regions/cuisines.

Just by chance drove there once with the scooter.

BUT!: don't ask me how many are currently open/servicing.

(no Indian tourists)

Pattaya in the red zone from tomorrow.

Does it mean you can sit down/in?

Do your own virtual walk:

https://goo.gl/maps/xDz9XoabqvrMbCfZ9

Edited by KhunBENQ

28 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Quite a mix in this thread of recommendations for Pattaya and Bangkok.

It's about Pattaya!

I don't have experience with Indian restaurants.

But my first guess would be looking around Soi 16 of Pattaya Klang (central rd.) and adjoining side Sois.

It's opposite Soi Buakhao junction a bit towards 2nd rd.

Multiple Indian restaurants of different regions/cuisines.

Just by chance drove there once with the scooter.

BUT!: don't ask me how many are currently open/servicing.

(no Indian tourists)

Pattaya in the red zone from tomorrow.

Does it mean you can sit down/in?

Do your own virtual walk:

https://goo.gl/maps/xDz9XoabqvrMbCfZ9

Currently dead, no sign of life

• Thanks 2

In my opinion the Tikka center across from Soi Honey on Soi Bukow is about the best value/food as far as Indian food goes...Its not cheap cheap but also not expensive.....

Most Thai people do not or will not eat Indian food and even the few farangs that do eat Indian food don't eat it often........

Most of the Indian restaurants that are still open have almost had ZERO customers in the last year....So no telling how long their food has been sitting around......So be careful where you eat.......

I honestly don't know why all these Indian restaurants even bother to keep the doors open....Without Indians why bother?

52634636_785266801828720_6225270266205831168_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbb9e7&_nc_ohc=Erm0Hx5XQ3YAX-oqZsD&_nc_ht=scontent.futp1-1.fna&tp=29&oh=506e8dbe3d5b7d8f4fb9e0e97e0fba65&oe=60C867DD

Edited by redwood1

On 5/15/2021 at 7:26 PM, Pottinger said:

Thais generally won't eat Indian food, so you only find cheap places where Indian workers congregate,

In the last 10 years in Pattaya I don't ever recall ever seeing a Thai in a Indian restaurant who was not with a farang........

38 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

In the last 10 years in Pattaya I don't ever recall ever seeing a Thai in a Indian restaurant who was not with a farang........

Have you ever seen them in American or Euro places?

I have seen groups in korean and japanese places though it's hard to tell if thais or eastern farangs

58 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

Have you ever seen them in American or Euro places?

I have seen groups in korean and japanese places though it's hard to tell if thais or eastern farangs

Thais love KFC, American, though recipes are pimped to Thai tastes.

An Italian place near me is popular with Thai families; pizza, noodles (spaghetti) and ice cream. 

Edited by champers

Masala Twist is my favourite in Pattaya after trying out many Indian restaurants here for the past 20 years.  It's on Jomtien 2nd Rd, just around the corner from immigration. Prices I find very reasonable and the food is always very good! I particularly like their Pashwari Naan, Bombay Potato, Palak Paneer, Butter Chicken, Onion Bhaji's.  I have a pretty bland British palate so I can't vouch for the spicier dishes as I've never had them.

image.jpeg.339730e499b6797c452827afb65d19ac.jpeg

• Like 1

they are always expensive like that all over thailand

the reason being they come over from india specifically to make money

dishes are around 200-300 baht and there is always a combo deal that looks good but has very little food.

On 5/18/2021 at 3:50 PM, redwood1 said:

Most of the Indian restaurants that are still open have almost had ZERO customers in the last year....So no telling how long their food has been sitting around......So be careful where you eat.......

That's a valid concern.       A restaurant gasping for breath isn't going to be enthusiastic about binning product.

On 5/20/2021 at 10:30 AM, thaiclan said:

Masala Twist is my favourite in Pattaya after trying out many Indian restaurants here for the past 20 years.  It's on Jomtien 2nd Rd, just around the corner from immigration. Prices I find very reasonable and the food is always very good! I particularly like their Pashwari Naan, Bombay Potato, Palak Paneer, Butter Chicken, Onion Bhaji's.  I have a pretty bland British palate so I can't vouch for the spicier dishes as I've never had them.

image.jpeg.339730e499b6797c452827afb65d19ac.jpeg

Like it as well, and i always see some customers and delivery guys getting food from it, so "Most of the Indian restaurants that are still open have almost had ZERO customers in the last year....So no telling how long their food has been sitting around" not really valid for this place

Edited by TacoKhun

21 hours ago, TacoKhun said:

Like it as well, and i always see some customers and delivery guys getting food from it, so "Most of the Indian restaurants that are still open have almost had ZERO customers in the last year....So no telling how long their food has been sitting around" not really valid for this place

Well its good to see at least a few Indian restaurants have customers.....Any Indian restaurant that has customers now has to be good...