Looking for a low cost official translator to translate an internet bill from Thai into English

aussienam

Hello all, 

I am applying for an account outside Thailand that requires me to provide proof of address here.  

I need a copy of a bill or bank statement that is in my name and has my address here.  The only bill that qualifies is my internet bill.  The problem is that it is in Thai writing other than my name.  

The instructions are:  'You are required to find an official translator to translate the document if it is not in English and also provide the name card of the translator.'

Does anyone know of a translator I can use?  I am hoping this exercise is not going to be expensive for the small account I want to open.  

Thanks. 

Why don't you obtain a 3 months Thai bank statement showing your address.  I obtained one last year at a cost of B150.

I would think translating an internet bill would cost more than what a bank statement would would be.

Can't help you with a low cost translator.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aussienam said:

I am applying for an account outside Thailand that requires me to provide proof of address here.  

Well good luck... I call it the fried chicken requirement and it happens for non-Thai Bank Account you already have, not just trying to open new ones. (Know your client, KYC....KFC). 

I am afraid my last effort was not cheap, I used a lawyer to validate some paperwork and copies, and even proof of his status had to be provided, that all cost me 2000 baht, and then a Fed-Ex charge on top. Try a lawyer supplying a copy of the written requirements, or even a Visa services office can help, as they usually supply translation services. (Key Visa maybe).

• Sad 1

The official language translators are the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) and they have offices in many Amphurs. They will translate any document for a fairly low fee and certify the translation also.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Brierley said:

The official language translators are the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) and they have offices in many Amphurs. They will translate any document for a fairly low fee and certify the translation also.

I think you will find the MFA certifies translations (that are done by others), they don't do translations. They are located in Bangkok, they dont have offices in Amphurs

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find the MFA certifies translations (that are done by others), they don't do translations. They are located in Bangkok, they dont have offices in Amphurs

They have offices in the Mae Rim Amphur, Chiang Mai province so presumably in others locations also, we've used them a couple of times. But yes, you are correct, they certify only and do not translate. That said, they will correct the errors made on any translation and notate how it should be done. That means almost any translator can be used, as long as MOFA is the final step.

OP, a quick google search will give you local translators, There isn't really an official translation as such. The Thai ministry of Foreign affairs certifies translations, (as correct and from a legal original etc) of passports and marriage certificates etc. A local translator service can often send documents to the MFA in Bangkok for certification, not sure how they would address an internet bill already in Thai, as being an official document needing translation. (The MFA certifies and legalizes official documents in other languages to Thai, not usually Thai to English)

Most consulates will do a resident certificate (proof of address) in English, or get a resident certificate from immigration and have it locally translated.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, anchadian said:

Why don't you obtain a 3 months Thai bank statement showing your address.  I obtained one last year at a cost of B150.

I would think translating an internet bill would cost more than what a bank statement would would be.

Can't help you with a low cost translator.

Thanks.  Ok will go to my bank.  Need to change my address anyway.  Hopefully will be in English!

9 hours ago, Brierley said:

They have offices in the Mae Rim Amphur, Chiang Mai province so presumably in others locations also, we've used them a couple of times. But yes, you are correct, they certify only and do not translate. That said, they will correct the errors made on any translation and notate how it should be done. That means almost any translator can be used, as long as MOFA is the final step.

Thanks.  

The company that outlined the steps only mentioned that a business card of the translator to be included with the certified translation.  

If they want the extra step I will, but see how we go.  Cheers. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Can you get OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software for Thai?

If so, scan it as a Word document, translate into English. 

I did actually try that to see how good it was, but was not a good translation.  

And they require official certification of the bill with business details of translation service used.  

• Like 1

Maybe I miss something, but why don't you go to immigration and get a residence certificate? They provide them in English for few 100 Baht (I think last time was 300), and you are all set, can't get more official than that...

55 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Maybe I miss something, but why don't you go to immigration and get a residence certificate? They provide them in English for few 100 Baht (I think last time was 300), and you are all set, can't get more official than that...

It has never been on the list of documents they require of me.  Although you would expect it to fit their needs.  A few issues with Jomtiem/Chonburi.... the CORs are always in Thai when I have got them. They also seem very fussy about knowing why you need one, and in some cases ask for supporting paperwork. 

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

I've required 3 letters from Immigration over the last few weeks and even though I write my address in English on the form, when I pick the letter up they have translated it into Thai ???? Don't know if they would keep it in English if you ask nicely though. Got to be worth a try and the girl at counter 9 would probably tell you if she can or can't before you stump up the 300 baht

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It has never been on the list of documents they require of me.  Although you would expect it to fit their needs.  A few issues with Jomtiem/Chonburi.... the CORs are always in Thai when I have got them. They also seem very fussy about knowing why you need one, and in some cases ask for supporting paperwork. 

Well, I did get a few certificates from Jomtien in the past years, and when you tell them you need them in English for purpose of "Address Verification for XY Government", they will do it. I have never been asked for additional paperwork, last time I needed one was in September last year. Just an idea for you, certainly cheaper and less time consuming than looking for a certified translator

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

I've required 3 letters from Immigration over the last few weeks and even thoughI write my address in English on the form when I pick the letter up they have translated it into Thai ???? Don't know if they would keep it in English if you ask nicely though. Got to be worth a try and the girl at counter 9 would probably tell you if she can or can't before you stump up the 300 baht

As far as I remember, there is a "reason" box on the form... that is where I write "English language address certificate for XY government" or something similar. Never been refused in Jomtien

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

As far as I remember, there is a "reason" box on the form... that is where I write "English language address certificate for XY government" or something similar. Never been refused in Jomtien

I once needed one to get my Tax ID Number, they pxssed me around from pillar to post.