Thais and foreigners in Phuket caught not wearing face masks punished by exercising instead of fines

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Nowhere does it say they weren't.

He's wearing crocs, that shows they weren't. All those claiming they were exercising seem to have not read the OP properly.

Regarding the 'exercising' debate, I think that some believe that because the guy is wearing a cycling helmet, he must have been cycling.   Reality is that there are many who wear these instead of motorbike helmets.   Then again, I've seen people out cycling in some odd shoes, including Crocs and flip flops.   Who knows?

Firstly, I have no problem people being punished for disobeying current restrictions, but these must be in accordance with the law i.e. fines levied.

Secondly, I do have a problem with what amounts to corporal punishment being meted out by local people for their own amusement or proof of 'power'.   That is wrong.   

Thirdly, we all know Phuket is desperate to get back to having tourism in numbers and that is dependent on being a safe destination.   As well as being safe, it also has to be attractive and welcoming.   Stories and images such as these are but a few clicks away from the internet.   I'm sure that we all have friends or relatives that regularly look at the local press and/or Facebook/social media for latest news on Phuket.   Local government and people need to understand the detrimental consequences of stories such as these and how they can be globally read.   We don't need any "Elderly Farang has heart attack and dies at side of road after being forced to do press ups for not wearing a mask - Somchai says he must have had a pre-condition".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

He's wearing crocs, that shows they weren't. All those claiming they were exercising seem to have not read the OP properly.

And a bicycle  helmet , I never  claimed the others weren't exercising, so it's  impossible to wear crocs and ride a bicycle, what other reason would you wera a  bicycle  helmet, fashion accessory, fruitbowl ,begging  bowl?

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

Reality is that there are many who wear these instead of motorbike helmets. 

I  have never ever  seen one used  in place of a  motorbike  helmet in Thailand.. The man in the pink shirt is  NOT  shown on a motorbike and another one with a  similar  helmet  passes  by on a bicycle.

bik.jpg

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I  have never ever  seen one used  in place of a  motorbike  helmet in Thailand.. The man in the pink shirt is  NOT  shown on a motorbike and another one with a  similar  helmet  passes  by on a bicycle.

bik.jpg

Not sure where you live in Thailand, however I can assure you that in the expat areas of Phuket (such as Rawai where this OP originates), it's quite common (though usually expats, not Thais).   I'm a cyclist, not a motor cyclist, so it's something I usually notice.   There are possibly some good reasons why, that is they tend to be lighter and with more ventilation.   

As I said in my post, I've seen people wearing unusual footwear on a bike (cycle), including crocs and flip flops.   Obviously not serious cyclists, and typically on mountain bikes with non-clip in pedals.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Logosone said:

I have a feeling there is strong anti-foreigner sentiment in Phuket. Wasn't this the place where this extremist group that wanted to hunt down foreigners with slingshots was from?

Extremist group is a bit extreme.

It was only foreigners that refused to wear masks during a deadly pandemic they were slinging. It was to protect the people.

It was a very effective campaign.

I always get treated very well in Phuket. Especially by the females. 

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

Elderly Farang has heart attack and dies at side of road after being forced to do press ups for not wearing a mask

Better than millions of elderly farangs dying from Covid because people refused to wear a mask like in other countries.

People really need to harden up.

Edited by RobMuir

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

And a bicycle  helmet , I never  claimed the others weren't exercising, so it's  impossible to wear crocs and ride a bicycle, what other reason would you wera a  bicycle  helmet, fashion accessory, fruitbowl ,begging  bowl?

Bicycle helmets are quite commonly worn while riding a motorbike.

2 hours ago, RobMuir said:

It was only foreigners that refused to wear masks during a deadly pandemic they were slinging. It was to protect the people.

Problem is, as expats are in the minority here in Phuket, so they are in the minority amongst those not following the requirement to wear masks.   My wife was in Central Festival yesterday evening, and guess what, by her reckoning 100% Thai customers, and maybe 60% wearing masks.   There were quite a few people in there.

And no, the idiot promoting using slingshots against farang not wearing masks was ridiculed by the majority of Thais.   It was also during a period when there were still a lot of tourists who were stuck here, and the trickle down of information and not least of all mask availability wasn't clear.

I'm sure you are always treated very well in Phuket, especially by the females.   I wonder why?

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Not at all, urging the hunting down of human beings with slingshots is beyond extreme really, a criminal offence in most civilised countries.

The campaign was "very effective" in getting the group that promoted it banned from Facebook yes.

In terms of Thais, the campaign was ridiculed and rejected, and as we saw here foreigners still not wearing masks, so how exactly was it effective?

I was in Phuket and was fleeced by hotel, taxi mafia, but great rotis and good tailor, mixed experience. No desire to go there again.

They were out in force Sunday evening about 5 pm on the road from Yanui beach back towards Rawai, 

As I came round the bend I saw them I pulled my mask up and they just waved me through, I was in the car alone

18 hours ago, pagallim said:

Firstly, I have no problem people being punished for disobeying current restrictions, but these must be in accordance with the law i.e. fines levied.

Secondly, I do have a problem with what amounts to corporal punishment being meted out by local people for their own amusement or proof of 'power'.   That is wrong.   

This is spot on, borderline oppression seen by fascist authorities given a free hand to do what they like on this island...

It's all for distraction from previous shortcomings and failure to enfurce the pandemic rules when they allowed those illegal mask-free parties to go on here, where rich Bangkok Hi-so Thais and farang alike were permitted to come and bring the virus and cause an outbreak in those super spreader events....!

Now they are harassing the local expats and poor local Thais (who suffered and suffering horribly due to loss of work and income) to pretend they are tough on Covid....!!!!? give me a break ... ????

I read they are prosecuting party organisers , how about the head of authories here, at minimum, for negligince , a few heads should have rolled if it was anywhere else, instead we have these ridiculous announcement and puppet shows about how strict they are....

Phuket managed quite well since the beginning of pandemic, majority of people follow rules and moderate restrictions were quite adequate, I can't remember how many months of zero infections we had here but I think the only reason for this surge was greed and not to do with local population that is being punished in this questionable and embarrassing way....! What next , maskless people are thrown in solitary for a week ...!? ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

In that case use your eyes a bit more.

Well  according to you you  can't  possibly exercise in crocs as that's  apparently  guaranteed  proof  you aren't exercising.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Haha 1