Retirement Visa Extension Expired in October and I could not return to renew due to Thai Government Covid restrictions

I was out of Thailand when they introduced the ban on non spouses travelling to the country and hence had to cancel my return in time to renew it.

I haven't been with my Thai partner for over a year now but hopefully I am planning to return in October/November this year.

Does any one know if there will be a dispensation for people in my situation (yes I know what all those with negative views of Thai bureaucracy will say).

If not does anyone know if it will still be possible to get a retirement visa in the UK before travelling or will I have to do a 60 day tourist and convert (I still have the 800K baht in a Thai bank).

Also for tourist visas is the  Visa on arrival still operating - but that's 30days ??

Any feed back would be useful so I can start looking at flight bookings - obviously if it's the 60 day tourist route then I have to have a return ticket for that period.

OP, since you already have the 800k in a Thai bank account, I suggest that you enter visa exempt and then apply for non O based on retirement at immigration.

That will give you a 90 permit to stay. In the last 30 days obtain 12 month extension.

The small added hassle with visa exempt entry is that you would need to show onward flight (does not need to be return). 

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, since you already have the 800k in a Thai bank account, I suggest that you enter visa exempt and then apply for non O based on retirement at immigration.

That will give you a 90 permit to stay. In the last 30 days obtain 12 month extension.

The small added hassle with visa exempt entry is that you would need to show onward flight (does not need to be return). 

Can he n ot get a non-O in the UK and come in on that, then extend?

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Can he n ot get a non-O in the UK and come in on that, then extend?

He could apply for for one but he would need the 40/400k baht medical insurance valid for 90 days to have it issued.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

No dispensation.

Next question i don't know. 

Visa-exempt entry (not "visa on arrival") is now good for 45 days, it requires a return ticket. 

Return or onward ticket? What are people doing now to satisfy immigration? Return ticket is not cheap and I'm heading back to LOS in the next few months 

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

Return or onward ticket?

Only a onward ticket out of the country is required. A one way ticket to anywhere will be accepted.

It will be the airline asking for the ticket out of the country not immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"He could apply for for one but he would need the 40/400k baht medical insurance valid for 90 days to have it issued. "

What does the 40 mean in 40/400K baht medical insurance?

Also I have had two Pfizer Covid jabs, does that change anything connected with medical insurance?

15 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

What does the 40 mean in 40/400K baht medical insurance?

This from the embassy website (link to page posted earlier)

"Copy of health insurance policy which covers medical treatment in Thailand (non-COVID-19 diseases) for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht for the whole period of your stay in Thailand"

@Negita43

As your married to a Thai, I would suggest applying for the Non Imm O based on marriage.

No Health Insurance required for the Non O based on marriage.

I would then apply for extensions based on marriage once in Thailand, which only require 400K in the bank for 2 months prior to the date of submitting the application.

52 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

@Negita43

As your married to a Thai, I would suggest applying for the Non Imm O based on marriage.

No Health Insurance required for the Non O based on marriage.

I would then apply for extensions based on marriage once in Thailand, which only require 400K in the bank for 2 months prior to the date of submitting the application.

Where does it say he is married? I may have missed that.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:10 PM, Negita43 said:

I was out of Thailand when they introduced the ban on non spouses travelling to the country and hence had to cancel my return in time to renew it.

I haven't been with my Thai partner for over a year now but hopefully I am planning to return in October/November this year.

After rereading, he needs to clarify if by partner, he means married partner.

Quite a number of foreigners who were legally married and had Thai spouses were unable to return because they had extensions with re-entry permits based on retirement at that time.

Edited by Tanoshi

36 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Sorry if it was confusing BUT in my understanding wife = married - partner = long term non married relationship

Thanks, then back to original post.

You can either enter Visa exempt, grants 45 days on entry, OR, Tourist Visa, grant 60 days on entry.

Both types of entry can be extended by 30 days.

Entering VE you have to provide a ticket out of Thailand (not necessarily a return flight)

Entering TV no flight out required.

No mandatory Health Insurance requirement for either.

You would have to apply for the Non O at your local Immigration office as a prelude to applying for a 1 year extension.

Or you could apply for the Non Imm O single entry Visa, based on retirement, grants 90 days on entry.

No outward ticket required.

Requires the mandatory 400/40K Health Insurance policy.

You can apply directly for the 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

All types of entry require the $100,000 Covid Insurance policy.

29 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Thanks for that Tanoshi - one final Q does the $100,000  (that's about £71,000 in my money or 3Million Thai Baht) insurance policy have to be written by a Thai Insurance company?

No. From the Thai Embassy website London.

For COVID-19 insurance, applicants can buy UK/Irish or Thai insurance. For the list of companies that offer COVID-19 insurance, please see https://covid19.tgia.org/

The Insurance must cover the period of stay granted on entry. For a TV, that would be 60 days.

Beware, the policies start on the day of entry, but some have a 14 day exclusion period for claims. The period in quarantine.

There are reports of foreigners testing positive in quarantine, only to discover they are not covered under the policy.

I believe the Thai approved policies start on the day of entry with no exclusion periods.

Ensure the policy gives you immediate cover from the date of entry.

Edited by Tanoshi