How to get rid of cockroaches in bathroom drains?

TPDH

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What a shame,  it doesn't work for cockroaches, ants and other insects. 

The label clearly says so. ????

Screenshot_20210517-064259_Lazada.jpg

I use this stuff (Borax) from Lazada for ants in the house.   Cheap and easy to use, and most important, effective.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i261713623-s402821133.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

and these directions on how to use it:

https://www.wikihow.com/Kill-Ants-Using-Borax

• Like 1

22 hours ago, madmen said:

Borax or boric acid from lazada pour into drain and sprinkle everywhere in condo where cockroaches crawl 

They eat it and die in the the nest where others eat it and die 

Takes about a month to work and I can confirm it works! 

Can also be used for your washing machine, cleaning all kinds of stuff and can be ordered on Lazada..

21 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I was told thing like toilet bowl cleaner occasionally down the drain will help prevent them.  Certainly an occasional pouring of a commercial drain cleaner or caustic soda will give those cockroaches a shampoo they won't like. 

I do that or spray Baygon once a week 

8 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The label clearly says so. 

To me text on the package says:

"Exterminate Termites Cockroaches & Ants"

Of course the "X" means x-terminate this.

Centipedes only on the image.

powder.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

I occasionally have the same problem. Bleach seems to work very well for me, and helps with odors too. 

Using bleach can be a very bad idea in apartment buildings, especially older ones with no drain traps.   

The danger is that while you are using a hefty dose of bleach to clear out your drain, another resident downstream could be using hydrochloric acid or caustic soda to do the same thing.  This can lead to the release of chlorine gas into the  building drain system. 

Even in small doses, chlorine gas can be very toxic and there have actually been known fatalities in this scenario.

The larger the apartment building, the greater the risk.   

I live in just such an old building with 400 units and have had the same problem with some very scary critters emerging from my drain. 

I found most effective was supermarket insecticide, the kind that includes a thin 8" tube to get into tight spots. 

I'll spray a heathy dose, maybe 5 seconds duration into the drain, then cover it.  I'll try to do it when we are about to go out so the drain wont be used for several hours. 

Seems to work for about a month or so before small insects start to reappear.

Edited by dddave

On 5/18/2021 at 9:32 PM, jomtienisgood said:

Did the OP mention anything about (fe)male cat???

Oh god not the PC police!!! Cuff me.

If this is a major thing for you, you need a new life. How trivial can one be? I don't really think the cat is offended, she could be though, and the OP didn't say anything. Only you. 

I guess you are one of the trollers who hunt for Gotchas.  Makes you feel superior?

Maybe the cat is a heshe. Why didn't you add that possibility? Oh, you assumed the cat is a male or female? Shame on you.

Gee you people are so far from woke. Why try to gender-enslave the cat? Choice of sexual identity or even non- or multi- or pan-sexuality rests entirely with the creature in question, which may in any event prefer to remain sex-anon. Please move on.

in any case this thread should have ended after my first response which was totally authoritative and complete in every respect. Don’t expect such service in future.

Finally … even after another post fully described perils of using quantities of  neat BLEACH, various homicidal clowns ???????????? continue to recommend it. Don’t.

Ever wondered why so many would-be terrorists include it on their shopping lists? Stop it.

On 5/18/2021 at 3:17 PM, ravip said:

How about this,  if possible to install? 

image.png.1398a768f0a5b9375f9d06138a9d2a7a.png

one would really hope (wishful thinking) that all drains were fitted with one of these proper P Traps...  

if any bugs (cockroaches got thru this...

then it could only be that either something else down the line is causing some siphoning to depleted the Traps water level?

- or the water has evaporated from lack of use? 

also if a P Trap is in place, then a common contemporary design also incorporates an anti-siphon Vent... so maybe that vent has been breached? 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 6:45 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

The label clearly says so. ????

Not really. The description translated by Google says:

"Era powder plus size 500 g. Eliminate ants, termites, cockroaches, crawling insects, preventive substances and insecticides, ERA POWDER PLUS cheap agricultural products."

So all those on the signs are eliminated.

10 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

Geckos do a good job ,not a roach in site.

Geckoes will eat any cockroach or larva that they can swallow. However, geckoes will always prefer higher places, while cockroaches seek out places close to the ground. Therefore, cockroaches are not geckoes' first meal choice.

I never had much trouble with cockroaches, but my tokays would sometimes wake me up at night.

To the OP, keep in mind you're never going to get rid of the cockroaches in your building.  Your objective is to make it more desirable to move to other condos in the building.

On 5/18/2021 at 12:25 AM, unblocktheplanet said:

I pour boiling water drown the drains occasionally. Keeps the pipes clear, too.

No it doesn't.

Best possible result is that the hot water will move the grease a little further downstream from any grease-trap, where it solidifies again ... thereby rendering (pun intended) the grease-trap redundant and increasing the chances of a blockage.

Plus you pay for the hot water of course.

On 5/21/2021 at 7:59 PM, The Theory said:

They get out of toilet, toilets have U traps too!!!!! ????????

There are alway some diver kind. ????????????

(1) look for little tiny tiny scuba tanks ... they leave them out during daylight hours ... mice fill them up when you are not looking

(2) with a pair of tweezers, turn the air valves to 'OFF' (clockwise)

(3) at your cleverness, laugh like a drain