Why do you live in Thailand?

Kanada

4 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Nonsense, I retired in Australia have great life, free health care collect my pension every 2 weeks and still have plenty leftover at the end of the months

Agreed. With a pension card and rent assistance it's doable if you don't smoke $50 per 100 gram of tobacco and don't drink beer $50 for a case of 24 bottles. 

I'm on the gold coast right near the beach and Cavill Ave paying $800 /month rent minus $280 rent assistance but I have to share with 2 others! I'm looking forward to heading back though to my condo and for me Thailand is a better lifestyle and never boring in Bangkok 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kanada said:

I’m here because I quite unexpectedly fell in love with a Thai woman...I like Thailand....I like Thai people....I like the weather....I like the happiness around me!

I’m not an expert on running a country so I’m not political...when I retired I retired from work, politics and finances!

I’ve never been religious but I like and appreciate the philosophies of Buddhism.

I like Thailand and all that comes with it...even the spiders????

It am happy for you

but it looks like the classics rose tinted glasses are still on

a younger and prettier wife\gf is usually the explanation

just out of curiosity do you also like to suffocate in CM area

one of the most polluted city in the world half of the year ?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah, but it's only less fun because you're an old man now.

If you were in your 30s, it would be as great as it ever was.

As for me, I'm still here because I still have a 9 year old son Thai citizen to look after.

Without the kid, I'd probably be in Vietnam/Cambodia/The Philippines (COVID allowing).

Curious at to your 3 backup options and why, as Im a free agent....

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Lifestyle.

Climate.

Beaches.

Nightlife (returns soon hopefully).

Beautiful people.

Being able to drive my car/ride my bike like an absolute lunatic with little to no repercussions.

Pretty much exactly this. The incredible value as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

""fell in love with a Thai woman...I like Thailand....I like Thai people....I like the weather....I like the happiness around me! """

Ok I suppose the first condition helps a lot to see life in pink

Endorphins – the happiness hormones – that are associated with feeling enchantment. Dopamine, which is produced when we feel satisfied, resulting in feeling happy, excited and stimulated. Oxytocin, which is linked to relationships and helps us to build bonds with other human beings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kanada said:

...I have a happy life and a happy wife that just told me last night I make her feel safe (she’s 43 by the way)

She came to me with a successful business... a nice home on four rai (paid for)

I am happy for you

In what way you make her feel safe when it seems she was already financialy safe before you ?

I think we all resist change....it’s easier to point the finger than think that maybe you need to adjust your life to fit in again.

Thailand has changed and it will keep changing as does any country...you can adjust your thinking and accept the fact that Thailand is t going to change to <deleted> you....not ever!
If you want to be happy in any country you have to make changes to fit in....or the other option that’s the easiest “you can just continue to complain and do nothing”????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Endorphins – the happiness hormones – that are associated with feeling enchantment. Dopamine, which is produced when we feel satisfied, resulting in feeling happy, excited and stimulated. Oxytocin, which is linked to relationships and helps us to build bonds with other human beings. 

We say very clearly that sex is the greatest impetus for the action of the Endorphins so we are happy slaves of our own impulses who cloud our brain which loses the ability to be cognitive.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I am happy for you

In what way you make her feel safe when it seems she was already financialy safe before you ?

What makes you think her feeling safe has anything to do with money??

Money isn’t even on the list when it comes to the “10 most important things in life”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, covidiot said:

no actually you;re not.

seems more like you're miserable in thailand and you're trying to convince him to be miserable because youre envious that anyone else should be content in thailand. 

Your username fits perfectly

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Oxytocin, which is linked to relationships and helps us to build bonds with other human beings. 

I don't  seem to  have any of that, but it doesn't  bother me, quite  the opposite, the farther away from people the better, they are simply annoying.

The number of people who stay here for their wives but otherwise hate everything else about the place is both heartwarming and concerning.

Like, I have a wonderful girlfriend. But there's a functionally infinite number of other women out there in the world, and if I were otherwise miserable and unfulfilled except for her, I don't think I would've made the same choice as many of you seem to have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Circumstance, not for the love of anything Thai.

Wife does  not want to  live elsewhere.

Yes this is a big problem for many for the wife and under the influence of the mother, you have to work alongside and try to detach this influence and go to live away from the mother at least 1000 km

• Like 1

2 hours ago, statman78 said:

It is much better here than back in the US.  

Edited 2 hours ago by statman78

But the U.S  is  such a HUGE  place  with  most  likely some very nice  places to  live how can you just discuss it as one area. Hawaii  for example.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

2 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Yes this is a big problem for many for the wife and under the influence of the mother, you have to work alongside and try to detach this influence and go to live away from the mother at least 1000 km

Mine's (her's) long dead.

• Sad 1