Why do you live in Thailand?

Kanada

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would put money as number 1 on the important things in life list.

If you have money, everything else on the list is easy to procure.

1) Time/Health

2) Fulfillment

3) Money/Freedom

Edited to add 'Freedom' and 'Health'.

Edited by The Cipher

1 minute ago, Kanada said:

No I don’t think so....I think he’s got you pegged pretty well....you don’t seem like a very happy guy!

That’s ok and that’s your business...you can live anyway you want!

*** maybe don’t try so hard to spread it around ????

That's funny

you know absolutely nothing about my life

and you come with a judgement, maybe my question was

a little bit annonying for you (And you still haven't answered)

no problem, not my business at all anyway

have a nice day

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I disagree,

I would put money as number 1 on the important things in life list.

If you have money, everything else on the list is easy to procure.

Imagine one who has all the money in this world... but infected with COVID gasping for Oxygen through plastic tubes, on a bed in the ICU .

I agree, money IS important in life, but there are other priorities for a happy life.

IMHO

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Circumstance, not for the love of anything Thai.

Wife does  not want to  live elsewhere.

Haha....you can’t take the girl out of Thailand and you can’t take the Thai out of the girl....

My wife has been to England, Australia and Canada and prefers where she has grown up...pretty normal I think!

Thais love their country

• Like 2

Just now, ravip said:

Imagine one who has all the money in this world... but infected with COVID gasping for Oxygen through plastic tubes, on a bed in the ICU .

I agree, money IS important in life, but there are other priorities for a happy life.

IMHO

As a poor person infected with serious COVID in many countries, you wouldn't even get to the ICU.

Money = No.1

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As a poor person infected with serious COVID in many countries, you wouldn't even get to the ICU.

Money = No.1

And you could  opt for a painfree  death with Dignitas instead of an agonising  end, whatever anyone says  money gives you almost every  option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kanada said:

Haha....you can’t take the girl out of Thailand and you can’t take the Thai out of the girl....

My wife has been to England, Australia and Canada and prefers where she has grown up...pretty normal I think!

Thais love their country

Yes, as we all I imagine, but many change country for various reasons and remain in that country for life, in this case his wife does not want to go and live in another country and this is irreversible and this problem, the separation is inevitable. in the long run if the husband will came back his country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Please do that. I'm one year in one of the best places on the earth without Covid and it's as boring as <deleted> and the only time a young lady looks at me it's to offer her bus seat ????

why do you want young woman looking at you? here they expect the old to give up bus seats for kids, bizzaro land ????

2 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I'd  join you sweetheart  ????

Great idea, we could live together, each earn our own money, share our household expenses and with no fear of the other making an asset grab, false claims of domestic violence, or 19 years of child support payments.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kanada said:

Thais love their country

She' doesn't  love it but she earns a good  income here which she could  not do in other countries as  easily. She'd  like to  live in Portugal when we are  both 65+.

Just now, BritManToo said:

Great idea, we could live together, each earn our own money, share our household expenses and with no feat of the other making an asset grab, false claims of domestic violence, or 19 years of child support payments.

I'd  bendover backwards to  make it  happen???????? Does  this  now  mean I have to identify as gay?

So glad you found Happiness! I met my wife about forty years ago in Tokyo. Fell in Love and got married. After retiring, several years ago-Blessed enough to spend six months here in Thailand traveling throughout Asia and Europe and spending the other six months RVing throughout the America's.  Good Luck to you and your Thai Girlfriend.  

• Like 1

Just now, Rampant Rabbit said:

I'd  bendover backwards to  make it  happen???????? Does  this  now  mean I have to identify as gay?

You could always wear a frock and identify as a woman.

Although I'd personally have no problem with everyone thinking I was gay, even though it wouldn't actually be true.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Money = No.1

4 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

And you could  opt for a painfree  death with Dignitas instead of an agonising  end, whatever anyone says  money gives you almost every  option.

OK. I agree now.

So money is the number one priority in life! 

I guess that's why there are so many chasing after it - some win, some loose, some fly out of the 32nd floor!

LOL

• Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

You could always wear a frock and identify as a woman.

Oi ,That's  sexist suggesting frocks = women, shame  on you, I'm  "pulling out"  of  this  relationship,  no  more bending over backwards to accomodate you ????

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

but there I'd be living alone in a cold and damp bedsit surrounded by asylum seekers.

it's probably the real problem for most of us

of course you can hide this starting fact making up with nice words

we all love Thailand so to speak

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Thanks 1

I lived in southern Florida for a few years and really liked the tropical climate.  And it was there that I met a Thai woman who brought me to visit her homeland.  Thailand was on my list of places to go but once I got here I found that I really loved it.  Each time on my way to Suvarnabhumi to fly home there was a voice in my head saying "stay.... don't leave".  Over the years the voice got louder and louder.  Then with covid, all the BS going on in the US and at work we decided to pull the trigger on retirement a few years earlier than planned.

In short, the people, the food, sabai-sabai lifestyle, tropical climate, proximity to other SE Asian countries like Lao, Cambodia and Burma (????) that I want to visit or re-visit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

No brainer for me as I was getting RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury)  in my right wrist and worried about getting blind.

I've been meaning to ask for some time (your most recent comment has inspired me to break the ice): 

What species of animal is that in your avatar pic?

3 hours ago, Kanada said:

I’m here because I quite unexpectedly fell in love with a Thai woman...I like Thailand....I like Thai people....I like the weather....I like the happiness around me!

I’m not an expert on running a country so I’m not political...when I retired I retired from work, politics and finances!

I’ve never been religious but I like and appreciate the philosophies of Buddhism.

I like Thailand and all that comes with it...even the spiders

Happy Jack fall in love with Thai woman. Happy Jack love Thailand, love Thai people, love Thai weather. Happy Jack feel happiness all around Happy Jack. Happy Jack retire from work, politics. Think about money make Happy Jack's head hurt. Buddhism make Happy Jack feel warm inside. Happy Jack love everything about Thailand. Happy Jack even love Thai spider.

OP, you need to put more meat on the bones of  your story. Taking what you've told us on face value, I don't blame readers for thinking you sound like a wet behind the ears newbie who is still in the honeymoon phase of living here.

My questions would be: How long have you been living here? What are your language skills like? What are your street creds for posturing as the philosopher king of Thailand? Seems to me you'd need a track record of some sort before getting into the pontification business. I think you need to flesh that out more.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Why live in Thailand?

Came here with work 20+ years ago with work... stayed because of a number of reasons which changed through the years but most related to initially being great fun and being cheaper than the UK but primarily because my work based me in Thailand. 

Now the reasons to stay are closely matched with the number of reasons to move back to the UK. 

The primary reason to stay in Thailand is that I’m not taxed here (rotational work overseas), I’m married here, Wife has lots of friends and family here (meanwhile I travel a lot), My Son is at an excellent School here (very expensive), Housing here is expensive (in Bangkok).

If we moved back to the UK the Tax hit would be large. My Wife has a stronger support network here in Bangkok, My Son is at a School I’m extremely happy with, school would be free in the UK but not as good as the International School here (IMO). We’d have a larger better house in the UK for the same price as our house here (we’d live in the UK Countryside compared to Central Bangkok).

Thailand is not cheap - in fact I’ve worked out that living in Thailand is approximately 800,000 baht more expensive per year (thats mostly school fees) and would be offset by paying tax in the UK. 

There are a lot more outdoor things to do in the Summer in the UK countryside - for 8 months of the year the quality of life would be higher in the UK - But, Wife’s parents are here and Wife has a strong group of friends here, I’m equally happy here in Thailand as I am in the UK.

Ideally I’d spend the summer in the UK and Winter in Thailand.

Future: Healthcare is getting more and more expensive: We’re looking at about 150,000 baht a year for a family of 3 (for decent cover - Husband and Wife in mid 40’s and a a child).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

I've been meaning to ask for some time (your most recent comment has inspired me to break the ice): 

What species of animal is that in your avatar pic?

Mate, the one behind is a boomer, but I haven't determined his sexual preferences. They are mating anyway.

Kangerbloodyroos..

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If I could get my wife and child to the UK , I wouldn't live in Thailand.

I see Thailand as a temporary home for part time retirement before moving back to uk for old age - besides I'm only 57 and I have a good tenant doing up my house and adding value to it each month, so not in a rush

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Happy Jack fall in love with Thai woman. Happy Jack love Thailand, love Thai people, love Thai weather. Happy Jack feel happiness all around Happy Jack. Happy Jack retire from work, politics. Think about money make Happy Jack's head hurt. Buddhism make Happy Jack feel warm inside. Happy Jack love everything about Thailand. Happy Jack even love Thai spider.

OP, you need to put more meat on the bones of  your story. Taking what you've told us on face value, I don't blame readers for thinking you sound like a wet behind the ears newbie who is still in the honeymoon phase of living here.

My questions would be: How long have you been living here? What are your language skills like? What are your street creds for posturing as the philosopher king of Thailand? Seems to me you'd need a track record of some sort before getting into the pontification business. I think you need to flesh that out more.

???? so you’re unhappy then by the sounds of it ??

Sorry I’m just not and I’m way past the honeymoon stage....but then I wasn’t unhappy in Canada either or the Middle East either.

I see the weaknesses here and the need for improvement and better living conditions and a more honorable political system here just like I saw them wherever I lived...still happy????

Ive met so many mean spirited guys working  hard at a pessimistic and miserable life and I’m “still” ???? 

You can’t change that

HAPPY JACK ????????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Future: Healthcare is getting more and more expensive: We’re looking at about

My healthcare in Thailand costs me 250bht every 3 months.

50bht to use the government hospital, 200bht for 3 months of medication.

Expensive housing?

I couldn't rent a bedsit for the money I pay on my 3 bedroom house mortgage (11k/month) in the UK.

PANO_20210505_104613 (1).jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2