Thailand’s total COVID-19 case tally surpasses 100,000 after 2,302 new cases

40 minutes ago, Artisi said:

I fully understand your point, my view is that far too many believe testing is the only answer, which it isn't, it's one step in the chain - my view is it is far better to concentrate the effort to isolate and trace in known areas than a panic shot-gun approach all over. Sure close monitoring for likely hot spots is necessary and Thailand seems to have the medical coverage to closely monitor this given the correct criteria and reporting system. 

As for long term immunity, variants etc - who knows, only time will tell.

Isn’t testing basically “close monitoring”. Otherwise the only monitoring that can be done is waiting for people to turn up sick, then test, then trace, then isolate. Tactically testing can turn up clusters before too many sick people turn up. Strategically it helps form an overall picture of the virus state of play.

i totally agree that testing is but one arrow in the quiver. It’s Just that the more that is done, the more info is gleaned. But it’s not a silver bullet, just as vaccination isn’t a silver bullet on day one.

Digressing slightly, it always puzzles me why a number of people talk about herd immunity at 70% immunization as though that final person that makes it 70%  flicks a switch and we’re all safe. It’s not quite like that I believe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All nations suffering Covid19, the pandemic, mostly experience exponential growth quite quickly more especially the UK variant and Indian variant or Brazil Variant as they are highly transmissible especially through young groups. But whatever if there is no strict lockdown ( as early Trump USA, Mexico , Brazil, India etc) then it gets very bad indeed.

Given UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Canada etc have been hit hard even with widespread health systems, and testing to keep track and control people especially asymptomatic younger folk- it is inevitable developing societies will suffer too. 

If lockdowns are too weak, testing is not nationwide and vaccines are not being rushed out quickly to most people then the outlook is very worrying especially in  urban areas or rural areas with people going into towns. In the end the developed societies have saved lives by having plenty of ICU beds and oxygen supplies which are needed if Covid19  patients within a fortnight or more have serious breathing  issues.

In the end as USA, UK and EU show you must have massive vaccine implementation. Note where Covid19 lets rip as in UK last year , Italy ,USA etc you get variants and vaccines are helping these more serious variants. Covid19 is not a short term thing :its a nasty evolving virus  and there is no quick solution. Quick Vaccines are the only way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

In the CCSA english language briefing taking place now he just mentioned that "many of the hospital walk in cases and pro active testing cases in Bangkok came from unknown cluster areas"

This indicates a growing spread.

“Unknown cluster area” is a very scary phrase. Indicates the virus has outstripped testing and tracing capabilities to me.

Hope thats just a lost in translation thing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

“Unknown cluster area” is a very scary phrase. Indicates the virus has outstripped testing and tracing capabilities to me.

Hope thats just a lost in translation thing.

No that was the english version, yes scary

at 33.15 

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fromas said:

That probably means not previously known.

It might mean a previously unknown cluster, which is now known. Or, it might mean a case with no contact to existing clusters and is therefore from an as yet unidentified cluster.

actually I find either pretty concerning because it means there is more out there yet to be tackled.

but hey ho, let’s open restaurants a bit, it’s the only logical move to make ????

• Like 1

The government has allowed conditional relaxation in wearing a face mask during meetings

The Government Gazette website published the conditions issued under Section 9 of the Public Administration in Emergency Situations 2005.

The announcement says that people are required to wear a mask when out of home or in public places organising events with high numbers of participants and physical proximity.

If a group of persons are required to attend a meeting in a particular location for a long and continuous period of time, wearing a mask can be inconvenient and hinder performance. There is relaxation if the meeting prescribes screening measures based on disease prevention measures, social distance is maintained, the attendees are wearing a mask and show a Covid-19 test certificate of being free from infection. In these situations, the meeting supervisor may waive only during discussions or expressing of opinions at the meeting as appropriate in the circumstances.

More:

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000936

Edited by anchadian

Siriraj doctor calls for strict monitoring as govt eases lockdown measures

Assoc Prof Nithiphat Chiarakun, head of the Department of Respiratory Diseases and Tuberculosis at Siriraj Hospital, shared his opinion on his personal Facebook page.

He said the current situation in Bangkok and its vicinity remained worrisome due to the number of new cases daily, the number of patients seriously ill and using ventilators, as well as fatalities.

He said there was limited availability of primary hospital beds for severe and critical pneumonia patients. There is also a rapid increase in the number of Covid-19 cases in prisons.

Read more:

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000937

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Siriraj doctor calls for strict monitoring as govt eases lockdown measures

Assoc Prof Nithiphat Chiarakun, head of the Department of Respiratory Diseases and Tuberculosis at Siriraj Hospital, shared his opinion on his personal Facebook page.

He said the current situation in Bangkok and its vicinity remained worrisome due to the number of new cases daily, the number of patients seriously ill and using ventilators, as well as fatalities.

He said there was limited availability of primary hospital beds for severe and critical pneumonia patients. There is also a rapid increase in the number of Covid-19 cases in prisons.

Read more:

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000937

Unfortunately we have experience that the Government ignores advice from its experts and as a result has let the outbreak spread further. Also mentioned in that article from Prof Nithiphat Chiarakun, head of the Department of Respiratory Diseases:

"He urged all parties to work together to stop these problems by speeding up proactive virus testing in vulnerable areas, then separating the patients from the community; enhancing access to all people without any restrictions on social, ethnic or religious grounds."

• Thanks 1

Thailand’s Private Hospital Association (PHA) expects 5-6 million doses of Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine to be shipped to Thailand in the second half of this year. They will be offered as a commercial alternative to AstraZeneca and Sinovac.

PHA secretary-general Paiboon Aeksaengsri said the association is coordinating with Zuellig Pharma, which is authorized to export the vaccine, after the Thai Food and Drug Administration (TFDA) approved the registration of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine last week.

He said the price of Moderna shots will be set by the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO), which will procure the supplies for distribution. Recipients will be charged a standard price and service fee for the jabs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Except for mass testing used to determine the positivity rate. This amounts to many thousands of tests a day.

Just curious.

And it is a genuine question.

Have you been tested in the past few days?

Do you know anyone who has?

If you haven't had a test would you mind sharing why not?

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Ehh it weakest link is its weakest link, strange question. Perhaps you should have asked where is a chains weakest link ?

Strange reply to the question asking where the poster I was answering considered where  the weakest link is. 

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

I fully understand your point, my view is that far too many believe testing is the only answer, which it isn't, it's one step in the chain - my view is it is far better to concentrate the effort to isolate and trace in known areas than a panic shot-gun approach all over. Sure close monitoring for likely hot spots is necessary and Thailand seems to have the medical coverage to closely monitor this given the correct criteria and reporting system. 

As for long term immunity, variants etc - who knows, only time will tell.

I did point out mass testing plus other measures. As for vaccinations this is interesting.

https://abc7news.com/sports/ny-yankees-say-8-vaccinated-members-test-positive-for-covid--/10628096/

Edited by dinsdale

Bangkok province new COVID case daily tallies May 10-16 starting with the 565 number in green.  The first white number to the left on the list is the subtotal for new cases April 1 to May 9. The last  number in the series to the right in red is the total number of cases in Bangkok since April 1.

05-16-21i2.jpg.f83fb7a1f2c0fd697ff8ee98959060e3.jpg

05-16-21i.jpg.b81ab72f7ef9cdd904b47400df64cdb3.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The English language version of the revised COVID restrictions and the areas they apply to starting tomorrow:

1648825184_Restrictions05-17-21.jpg.5ca8c8db8ffa9288a033553981407b68.jpg

130037731_Restrictions05-17-21b.jpg.80831b1da193edbabfecee1c47f121fa.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/photos/a.1201857316504347/4263943406962374/?type=3

I was hoping there might be some uniform reference to exceptions to mask wearing - exercising including details.

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

I was hoping there might be some uniform reference to exceptions to mask wearing - exercising including details.

Same questions have arisen about things like parks, fitness centers status, etc...  I think those kinds of restrictions originated from the BMA, so I guess we're going to have to wait and see what they say now that the national government has changed their rules.

But thus far, AFAICT, the only thing that's really changed for Bangkok as a result of this is the relaxation of rules for indoor dining, and the national change mentioned above about face mask wear in meetings in certain situations.  With the trends in case numbers for Bangkok, I doubt they're going to be doing much relaxing of regs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Same questions have arisen about things like parks, fitness centers status, etc...  I think those kinds of restrictions originated from the BMA, so I guess we're going to have to wait and see what they say now that the national government has changed their rules.

But thus far, AFAICT, the only thing that's really changed for Bangkok as a result of this is the relaxation of rules for indoor dining, and the national change mentioned above about face mask wear in meetings in certain situations.  With the trends in case numbers for Bangkok, I doubt they're going to be doing much relaxing of regs.

OK.

I'm in Udon and would like to know the 'official' (ha ha!) position about having to wear a mask when cycling.

Usually it will depend on who you talk to, what they had for lunch, whether their wife gave them earache before they left home.

Hence hoping for a written national rule on this. There again I know where we are...

Phuket have said in writing (in Engrish anyway) no mask required when cycling.

A friend on Ko Phangna was told to put his mask on when cycling. There again, there's no 'r' in the month.

These are the new case numbers from the past week for the new group of four "maximum and strict controlled" provinces under the government's latest edict -- Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan and Pathum Thani:

The first number in each series is the subtotal of new cases from April 1 through May 9. Then the daily numbers from the past week. Then the last number in each series is the total of all new cases there since April 1.

05-16-21k1.jpg.1aad5aee7b5d8ca321fffd48c1a3ba65.jpg

Bangkok:

05-16-21k2.jpg.ce33796f69f24b1fbd4f50e6a665522a.jpg

Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan and Pathum Thani:

05-16-21k3.jpg.286c73dc68493b0ab90644ffee4461c3.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106142991004034/326321152319549/?type=3

• Like 1