Thailand’s total COVID-19 case tally surpasses 100,000 after 2,302 new cases

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

OK.

I'm in Udon and would like to know the 'official' (ha ha!) position about having to wear a mask when cycling.

Usually it will depend on who you talk to, what they had for lunch, whether their wife gave them earache before they left home.

Hence hoping for a written national rule on this. There again I know where we are...

Phuket have said in writing (in Engrish anyway) no mask required when cycling.

A friend on Ko Phangna was told to put his mask on when cycling. There again, there's no 'r' in the month.

There's a nationwide face mask wearing rule in effect still for indoor and outdoor public places. If there's going to be any exceptions to that, they're going to be done at the individual province level.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There's a nationwide face mask wearing rule in effect still for indoor and outdoor public places. If there's going to be any exceptions to that, they're going to be done at the individual province level.

Seems a bit contradictory to have a nationwide rule with local exceptions.

Would you happen to have details/links to the nationwide rules (that don't apply everywhere - haha!)

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Says a lot. Very few from pro-active testing which can only mean very little pro-active testing. No true mass testing=no true numbers.

One thing very notable from this outbreak and previous waves is the ratio of hospital walk in cases and pro active testing positive cases.

Previous waves they were around 50/50 most of the time or the pro active positive testing outnumbered the hospital walk ins (there were a few days when hospital walk in cases were more but that was the exception to the rule).

This outbreak we have the reverse and so yes much more needs to be done with pro active testing. 

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Seems a bit contradictory to have a nationwide rule with local exceptions.

Would you happen to have details/links to the nationwide rules (that don't apply everywhere - haha!)

Thanks.

As posted a bit above in this thread:

Screenshot_1.jpg.3d66ccb3d10aa9ec9d384f82a9e84ce4.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Report by the British health secretary is saying that early data from Oxford university shows that the vaccines work against the Indian variant.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1393833137310998528

Lets hope the peer review verifies the data

BMA to vaccinate half a million people this month, millions more this year

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is aiming to inoculate at least 500,000 people by the end of May, and as many as a million a month from June, said Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang today (Sunday).

The governor also inspected the capital’s vaccination facility at the Central Ladprao shopping mall today, where 850 public bus, electric train and boat drivers and 300 garbage collectors are to be inoculated against COVID-19.

The governor told the media that the BMA has made preparations to inoculate about 170,000 teachers under its supervision before the opening of the new school term, scheduled for June 1st and, in the next step, will vaccinate other people in the service sector and those considered as being at high risk, such as car and motorcycle taxi-drivers, elderly care workers and officials working at child care centres.

Read more: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bma-to-vaccinate-half-a-million-people-this-month-6-more-million-this-year/

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

A fair comment but I think the numbers have been dodgy from the very beginning. They lied and covered up then and they are still doing it. If it wasn't for the democracy girl we probably still wouldn't know about the prisoner numbers. Can one honestly think that it is only now that covid is in prisons and not a year ago. Absolutely no true transparency since day one.

But we do know that until recently hospital ICU units weren't under stress. So that's a very strong indicator that Covid was under control.

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:

BMA to vaccinate half a million people this month, millions more this year

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is aiming to inoculate at least 500,000 people by the end of May, and as many as a million a month from June, said Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang today (Sunday).

The governor also inspected the capital’s vaccination facility at the Central Ladprao shopping mall today, where 850 public bus, electric train and boat drivers and 300 garbage collectors are to be inoculated against COVID-19.

The governor told the media that the BMA has made preparations to inoculate about 170,000 teachers under its supervision before the opening of the new school term, scheduled for June 1st and, in the next step, will vaccinate other people in the service sector and those considered as being at high risk, such as car and motorcycle taxi-drivers, elderly care workers and officials working at child care centres.

Read more: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bma-to-vaccinate-half-a-million-people-this-month-6-more-million-this-year/

Let me get this right.  They say that they will inoculate a million a month from June, is that initial dose or fully vaccinated?

By my calculator, it will take approx 60/70 months to vaccinate the whole population.

Am I missing something here?

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

Let me get this right.  They say that they will inoculate a million a month from June, is that initial dose or fully vaccinated?

By my calculator, it will take approx 60/70 months to vaccinate the whole population.

It's just for Bangkok

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The share of those patients in critical condition declined by six cases to 1,228 as of today's report, while the portion of those requiring ventilators to breathe declined by seven cases to 408 -- changes more than offset by the 24 new deaths reported today.

Pretty sad way to free up ventilators & ICU beds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The 1 Mn per month projection is just for Bangkok province only... which has about an 10 or 11 million population.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

A fair comment but I think the numbers have been dodgy from the very beginning. They lied and covered up then and they are still doing it. If it wasn't for the democracy girl we probably still wouldn't know about the prisoner numbers. Can one honestly think that it is only now that covid is in prisons and not a year ago. Absolutely no true transparency since day one. This is a military govt who controls information.

This is what I call transparency......

https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/public+content/sa+health+internet/conditions/infectious+diseases/covid-19/about+covid-19/latest+updates/covid-19+dashboard

Edited by dinsdale

More clarification for foreigners and vaccination process likely to come this week, say Pattaya officials

Pattaya Public Health Officials have repeatedly stated that foreign residents will be allowed to take part in the free vaccination process in the province, although details have still not been crystal clarified, but that could change this week.

Chonburi is set to start mass vaccination likely this week upon arrival of 20,000 doses for Banglamung from Sinovac. In the next few weeks, the majority of Thailand’s vaccines produced locally and under the AstraZeneca brand, should start to become available. Pattaya, due to the economic importance of the city to tourism, is one of five major initial priority zones for vaccines in the country. The province has previously been vaccinating first responders, law enforcement, government officials, and health care workers. One will not be able to choose the brand they wish to have if they attend a public mass vaccination center.

Read more: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/16/more-clarification-for-foreigners-and-vaccination-process-likely-to-come-this-week-say-pattaya-officials/

42 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Yes you are missing something. Sinovac and AZ require 2 shots.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Yes you are missing something. Sinovac and AZ require 2 shots.

Initial dose = 1 shot

Fully vaccinated = 2 shots

Didn't you read my first para?

"doesn't change the fact that daily testing for everyone would be necessary - better to put more effort into vaccination......."

it would be better to put more effort into both testing and vaccination.

But I think it's beyond their capabilities sadly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

I would say around 50 months. They won't be jabbing the whole population.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

OK.

I'm in Udon and would like to know the 'official' (ha ha!) position about having to wear a mask when cycling.

Usually it will depend on who you talk to, what they had for lunch, whether their wife gave them earache before they left home.

Hence hoping for a written national rule on this. There again I know where we are...

Phuket have said in writing (in Engrish anyway) no mask required when cycling.

A friend on Ko Phangna was told to put his mask on when cycling. There again, there's no 'r' in the month.

Maybe just put it on when the cops look like coming to tell you to put it on. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

A fair comment but I think the numbers have been dodgy from the very beginning. They lied and covered up then and they are still doing it. If it wasn't for the democracy girl we probably still wouldn't know about the prisoner numbers. Can one honestly think that it is only now that covid is in prisons and not a year ago. Absolutely no true transparency since day one. This is a military govt who controls information.

I don't disagree with you at all, my point really was that here we are getting a much better picture at the need to have more pro active testing through the ratio given in the charts.

• Like 2

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1393884810049773568

BREAKING: The Department of Corrections has just announced that an additional 1,104 inmates at Thonburi Remand Prison have tested positive for #COVID19. This follows the news yesterday that 1,219 new cases were found in three prisons in Bangkok #Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Worker housing in Laksi among five Bangkok COVID-19 clusters under close watch

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is keeping a close eye on five clusters of COVID-19 infections in the capital, particularly at the construction worker housing facility in Laksi district, where 482 (86.22%) of 559 workers screened have tested positive for the disease.

BMA Permanent Secretary Silapasuay Raweesangsoon said today (Sunday) that since the start of the new wave of the pandemic on April 1st, health officials have identified 27 clusters of infections across 17 districts, namely Din Daeng, Wattana, Klong Toey, Laksi, Lat Phrao, Ratchathewi, Phra Nakhon, Dusit, Pom Prap Sattru Phai, Suan Luang, Pathumwan, Sathorn, Samphanthawong, Chatuchak, Silom, Prawet and Wang Thong Lang.

Among the 27 clusters, five with the fastest growing rate with a tendency for continued rapid spread are the worker housing facility in Laksi, the Din Daeng apartments, the site worker housing in Wattana, the Klong Thom Centre, the July 22 Circle in Pom Prap and Huai Khwang market in Din Daeng.

More: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/worker-housing-in-laksi-among-five-bangkok-covid-19-clusters-under-close-watch/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As posted a bit above in this thread:

Screenshot_1.jpg.3d66ccb3d10aa9ec9d384f82a9e84ce4.jpg

Thanks TallGuyJohn. I saw that, I was hoping you might have some more detailed info from elsewhere. I wonder if that means the exceptions may be local?

I remember last year during the time we had the curfew, a senior doctor from the MOPH said specifically not to wear a face mask when exercising, as it reduced the flow of air into the lungs just when you need it most.

I was hoping those important details might have been incorporated nationally. It does seem illogical to me to do that on an area-by-area basis.