Thailand’s total COVID-19 case tally surpasses 100,000 after 2,302 new cases

34 minutes ago, anchadian said:

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1393884810049773568

BREAKING: The Department of Corrections has just announced that an additional 1,104 inmates at Thonburi Remand Prison have tested positive for #COVID19. This follows the news yesterday that 1,219 new cases were found in three prisons in Bangkok #Thailand

Inmates in #Thailand’s notoriously overcrowded prisons are being hit hard by a #COVID19 outbreak that has seen at least 5,664 reported infections in just four prisons. With an estimated 330,000 inmates in 143 prisons, the true number could be much higher. No news about deaths.

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1393891008954322945

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Seems a bit contradictory to have a nationwide rule with local exceptions.

Would you happen to have details/links to the nationwide rules (that don't apply everywhere - haha!)

Thanks.

Sometimes it comes down to the individual officer and how he is feeling that day.

I carry a mask with me. If asked to do so, I will just put it on. Can’t see that being a problem in Udon, particularly outside the ring road

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

Sometimes it comes down to the individual officer and how he is feeling that day.

I carry a mask with me. If asked to do so, I will just put it on. Can’t see that being a problem in Udon, particularly outside the ring road

I carry a mask the same, but more really for use if I go into a shop to buy a drink.

Last year I cycled along the ring road past plenty of police, none of who ever tried to stop me. Perhaps they were worried they might catch covid from the ferang.

The thing I can imagine is not being asked to put it on, but a policeman thinking he's going to make some money out of it now it's compulsory to wear one (but not clear about the exceptions).

I've never worn a face mask while cycling so far, but we'll have to see what happens.

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I carry a mask the same, but more really for use if I go into a shop to buy a drink.

Last year I cycled along the ring road past plenty of police, none of who ever tried to stop me. Perhaps they were worried they might catch covid from the ferang.

The thing I can imagine is not being asked to put it on, but a policeman thinking he's going to make some money out of it now it's compulsory to wear one (but not clear about the exceptions).

I've never worn a face mask while cycling so far, but we'll have to see what happens.

I wore one last year during the total lockdown. It’s not great. No problem breathing but it gets soaked in sweat and becomes pretty yukky to have on your face. I see a lot of people with it worn around the chin. Quick to pull up if bib hove into view.

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not many places in the world can boast such a high positivity rate for testing in one cluster:  "482 (86.22%) of 559 workers screened have tested positive for the disease."

Authorities are obviously not doing enough to find cases leaving it so long that by the time they get to them its already too late.

The good news is that at that particular cluster, it can’t get that much worse. Only 14% to go for a clean sweep. ????????

monitoring, testing and tracing fell down big time on that cluster.

• Like 1

So far so good though

still only around 1 covid death a day in the 17 months since this "deadly" pandemic started

Wonder what happened to the many thousands that posters on here predicted would occur a few weeks after Songkran ? 

Wonder how many flu deaths, heart attacks, road deaths, and suicides, each day since this all started. more than 1 ??

Ahh well, i suppose we can still keep saying, If, maybe, Possible, Could, cant we ?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

An app for foreigners is also being developed to allow them to register

Could just modify the one they have. Probably wouldn't even take a programmer.

It's all just noise

52 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

So far so good though

still only around 1 covid death a day in the 17 months since this "deadly" pandemic started

Wonder what happened to the many thousands that posters on here predicted would occur a few weeks after Songkran ? 

Wonder how many flu deaths, heart attacks, road deaths, and suicides, each day since this all started. more than 1 ??

Ahh well, i suppose we can still keep saying, If, maybe, Possible, Could, cant we ?

Maybe the restrictions in their various guises over the 17 months achieved something then. That’s good.

52 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

Could just modify the one they have. Probably wouldn't even take a programmer.

It's all just noise

That's what they're supposedly doing, modifying the existing Mor Prom app they have to allow foreigners to use it based on entering their passport numbers.

As well as high Covid-19 infections, hospitals also have to deal with the high daily road injuries.  Yesterday saw 17 deaths and 1,826 injuries.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1394085888422944771

24 hour road accident report for 15/5/2021: 17 deaths and 1,708 injuries.

24 hour road accident report for 16/5/2021: 17 deaths and 1,826 injuries.

TOTAL FOR 2021: 5,844 deaths and 377,427 injuries #ThaiRoadSafety #RoadSafety #อุบัติเหตุ #Thailand

Edited by anchadian

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Huge numbers coming out for Chiang Mai Prison if the tweets are correct. Not in official media yet so need to wait for confirmation if its true.

EDIT:

Just read that its already been posted on the Thai Visa facebook page:

Breaking**** Covid-19 outbreak in Thailand’s prison network.

A total of 9783 positive results are being reported.

Additional figures are most likely to be added to the national total tomorrow.

Nonthaburi 59

Central Special Treatment Center 12

Chachoengsao 43

Thonburi Remand 1725

Khlong Prem 1016

Central Women's Correctional Institution 1039

Bangkok Remand 1960

Chiang Mai Central Prison 3929

https://www.facebook.com/ThaiVisaNews/posts/10160952252853012

My feeling is this is the tip of the iceberg.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1394090702682812416

IMPORTANT: The Bangkok Governor has signed the order to extend the temporary closure of venues in the capital until 31st May. The only relaxation mentioned was for restaurants to open for limited number of customers to dine-in until 9pm and takeaway until 11pm #Thailand #Bangkok

ImageImage

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1394099525267034114

BREAKING: Thai health ministry reporting 25 deaths and 9,635 cases (*) on Monday. Full update at 12:30pm

.14 May: 2,256 - 30 dead

15 May: 3,095 - 17 dead

16 May: 2,302 - 24 dead

17 May: 9,635 - 25 dead <— TODAY

* 6,853 from prisons

Edited by anchadian
  • Thanks 1

Just now, anchadian said:

https://twitter.com/ThaiPBSWorld/status/1394100038096195590

Are the authorities treating Covid-19 prisoners as though there're on another planet?

This is how it should have been reported:

Devastating news for Thailand and all of us who live here. Both counts, community spread and prisons are completely out of control. 

14 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Devastating news for Thailand and all of us who live here. Both counts, community spread and prisons are completely out of control. 

Wow, an 70% plus increase in covid cases just since April 1st, for the total numbers if this continues it will be devastating.  Now we also have more work camp clusters popping up, and that is not just migrant workers working in those locations.  Hope anyone associated with the building industry stays safe.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Logosone said:

But Thais are so good with wearing masks, were among the first to wear masks, how is this possible?

Because it's pretty difficult to drink through a mask when you're at a bar. And if you're living in crowded dormitories, as construction workers do, widespread contagion is inevitable?.Got any more questions with obvious answers to ask?

Edited by placeholder

17 hours ago, placeholder said:

Because it's pretty difficult to drink through a mask when you're at a bar. And if you're living in crowded dormitories, as construction workers do, widespread contagion is inevitable?.Got any more questions with obvious answers to ask?

Are you saying bars and crowded dormitories mean masks are unable to prevent covid transmission in many cases?

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

Are you saying bars and crowded dormitories mean masks are unable to prevent covid transmission in many cases?

As far as bars go, masks are magic. Even though customers aren't wearing them, they still work. And the fact that they're drinking alcohol means that they're going to be extra cautious. Actually, that's how things work on oppositeworld. Here, not so much.

As for crowded dormitories, as epidemiologists will tell you, masks don't stop 100% of particles. So the more people there are in a confined space, the more likely there is to be transmission. And who knows if these workers even are wearing masks in their living quarters? It's a lot to expect for someone to be wearing masks virtually 24 hours per day. Such living arrangements should be banned for the duration.