Cost of funeral in small village

THAIPHUKET

1 minute ago, JohnCR10 said:

It depends on the local customs for funerals.  Also if you are talking now with all the Covid restrictions or normally.  In our village in Northern Thailand it depends on how many people will want to go to the funeral.  You are expected to be able to provide food for all visitors during the funeral period usually 3 to 5 days.  This could be easily be over a 100 people for a an average size funeral each day.  In addition you have to pay for the monks and the cost of the casket and the castle that gets burned with the body.

Having said all this everyone will pitch in to help including helping to cook meals.  People will donate money and food and labour.

I should mention that also each village has its own rules about how much each family (there is a levy) in the village has to donate to the cost of the funeral.

In any case expect to pay at least 100,000 baht out of your own pocket.

I know this all confusing but it comes down to local customs how popular is the person who died and how much help and donations you get from the locals.

I have never heard  of any such levy in our village ! However there is a voluntary contribution scheme that many opt into which works a bit like a death Insurance plan. When the "Angel of Death" calls to collect on behalf of a deceased  person he writes it into a ledger.

I have asked my wife what happens  if you are the last  to die  out of those  named in that ledger?

She laughs and  admits she   does not know.

But it would be  rare for the cost of the average funeral around here exceed 25 thousand unless they had very high status.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, THAIPHUKET said:

Thus, under the aspect of keeping good face for the family

AND? Have you asked the family what the minimum is for face saving?

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 minute ago, Nojohndoe said:

I have never heard  of any such levy in our village ! However there is a voluntary contribution scheme that many opt into which works a bit like a death Insurance plan. When the "Angel of Death" calls to collect on behalf of a deceased  person he writes it into a ledger.

I have asked my wife what happens  if you are the last  to die  out of those  named in that ledger?

She laughs and  admits she   does not know.

But it would be  rare for the cost of the average funeral around here exceed 25 thousand unless they had very high status.

Agree, it's the most common way in many villages to have a community funeral fund, wife pays 30 baht per death, but was 40 baht before her father died. Now there are 3 adults covered. Don't need to tell you foreigners are not covered ????

The fund paid her brother 20k but he spent double that. Up to him.

I've seen many funerals here mostly at the deceased's houses, but never attended one until her father died. I used to think all those erecting of the tents, tables and cooking were all voluntary but no way. I was surprised and shocked to see 5 so-called mates of her brother each ask for 100 Baht to help with the preparations. With the exception of 2 friends everyone expects to get paid.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Saltire said:

Yes of course absolutely nothing in this country is consistent.

In my case the wife asked but as the first and only foreigner just got a 'no' as there was no precedent.

AFAIK I am the first and only foreigner in the village system. I am the only foreigner living here full time though there were several FIFOs, I haven't seen them for over a year. The nearest full timer is about 6km away just outside the big village with another 2km further on.

The friends I visit are about 25km away and the rest are 65 to 90km away and we haven't met since January.

• Like 2

When the wife's grandmother died (89 yo so one of the longest in the village), she (we) contributed about 30,000 baht (being the only farang in the family) to the proceedings in a total cost of about 200,000 for the 5 nights of mourning (probably 200 + people each night) and cremation. As others have said there is the village fund and tham bun that helps to offset the costs.

Our village in consortium with 2 others, have a cooperative fund which covers the basic requirements of all funerals. Whenever there is death in any of the 3, a collection is made from every household to top the fund up, each according to their means. No one goes without a funeral, not even the poorest.

As my wife and most others know, I am completely areligious and have no interest in Buddhist rites. The monks also know that, so a simple trip down to the cremation ground is all that I am interested in, but my attitude is 'it's up to them'. If they want to waste money on a more elaborate affair, than there's nothing I can do to influence that. After all I won't be there will I.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How long is a piece of string? 3 day, 5, day or 7 day funeral, how many monks.  How many will come from other villages. To many variables to give you a good answer. 

This is correct... the cost in my village would mostly be determined by the number of days - - which would be determined by the cost of food that would need to be provided for each day... the actual cost of the cremation is minimal in comparison to the cost of feeding everyone... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Saltire said:

Yes of course absolutely nothing in this country is consistent.

Is this some sort of surprise? Are things consistent where you come from? 

In my country, some people have lavish expensive weddings and birthdays and others get married at city hall and pay a small fee for a license... and 1000's of other examples... viva the individuality... 

or are you just looking for any excuse to bash Thailand?