Samsung A/C circuit board vs gecko - repair or replacement info for Chiang Mai (Hang Dong) area

I wonder if anyone can help? 

We have a Samsung split ac unit AR13TYHZCWKN (purchased 13 months ago) which went on the blink the other day, flashing the auto cleaning cycle "Cl 54".  We got a local chap to come along and clean it, but on disassembling the indoor unit he found a fried gecko stuck to the logic (green board, processing?) board.

He cannot repair it (I don't know if this is skills issue or what) so we are looking for a replacement or repair by another.

Any recommendations of brilliant shops/people in this field for the CM area?  Thank you.

3E587A7F-FDCD-4D17-925F-3682C4F60A71.thumb.jpeg.90a11b8e7b6560d5daee9e87f3ee6ebe.jpegD50EC9F4-655A-4A66-B41A-D228D651A5BE.thumb.jpeg.b399626684fce2929259637deda5436c.jpeg

Yes they tend to replace boards and don't make any repairs. 

I  was wondering if there would be placed where we could send boards for repair as some of these parts, particularly inverter boards are quite expensive (> 5000 for most of them)? All my units are Mitsubishi.

Did some research.Did some research.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1

Did he try putting the board back in after cleaning off the gecko?  The gecko most likely caused a short circuit but if all that did was fry the gecko, the board components might still be OK.

These boards cannot be '"repaired" without proper tester.  My Daikin inside board cost B5000 for a new one but it wasn't from "authorized" repair shop so I think I got scammed.  Suggest you find the nearest authorized Samsung repair in CM if the old one still doesn't work.

Maybe try this one:
https://www.chiangmai.net/business-directory/1562-samsung-customer-service

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting this.  This has removed a lot of my guilt from using sticky-traps to get rid of some small geckos that had been hanging around my desktop mid-tower computer.

Like Bankruatsteve said, I'd try getting rid of the gecko and wiping the board off with distilled water (don't use tap as it likely has dissolved salts). Let it dry and then see if it works.  Hopefully the gecko just caused a logic error on the board without causing damage.

8 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

I don't think water a good idea.  Isopropyl if you have it or other alcohol.  

I know that instinctively water sounds like a bad idea but it is often used to clean circuit boards.  Salts from the gecko's body are what causes the short.  However they are not very soluble in alcohols.  The salts will readily dissolve in water though. But it has to be very clean distilled/deionized water that won't leave a residue once it dries.  

Personally I'd do the DI water followed by Isopropyl alcohol, anhydrous if available.  I'd probably avoid 70% since you don't know what kind of water the manufacturer used for formulation ????

One of many resluts from google

https://www.quick-pcba.com/pcb-news/how-to-clean-a-circuit-board.html#:~:text=Yes%2C you can use water,it has poor electrical conductivity.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

I know that instinctively water sounds like a bad idea but it is often used to clean circuit boards.

50 years ago i started my engineering career at a factory that (mostly) produced 7k PWA's per week.  An aqueous solution was used to clean the boards after flow solder - otherwise isopropyl was used.  Water was used in that case due to cost.  It's not the best solvent for most purposes.

Edited by bankruatsteve

Many thanks one and all for your help so far.  I got the board back from the service guy a moment ago and will give it a clean using some alcohol and a toothbrush (as seen on youtube for cleaning computer logic board).  The close-up photo shows the area of fried gecko.  I don't know if those wavy whitish lines mean it's had it, but I'll get the board reinserted later and see.

IMG_5593.JPG

IMG_5594.JPG

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I assume that the man did verify it wasn't just the fuse ???? 

Prior to repair chap arriving, the unit still "worked" with the board in place, with the display flashing Cl 54.  Using the remote, I could switch the unit off and on, activate the cleaning programme, which would open the front door, but nothing would roll, the machine then reset itself to flashing cl 54.  Therefore, I presume, not a fuse problem (but there again, I'm an artist????)

1 hour ago, snapperatlarge said:

I don't know if those wavy whitish lines mean it's had it, but I'll get the board reinserted later and see.

Let's hope your service guy didn't try to clean it with thinner.  

The small holes in the PCB tracks (see photo) are called vias and pass connection from one board side or layer to another. Corrosion often removes the very thin layer of copper from these tiny connections.

via-16s.jpg.24b3129cac81802f4cc9b5a69b1a7e72.jpg

samsung is the only A/C  i had this problem with .     four rental houses, 15 years,  2 a/c in each.   Only had one samsung,  all the rest are  LG .

the samsung ,  on second time in 15 months......... the big shop said the board was not available in BKK !

never will buy another samsung a/c        my TV and fridge has always been samsung .    fridges still good after 15 years

Edited by rumak

43 minutes ago, rumak said:

never will buy another samsung a/c 

We've got 19 saijo denki units, and it happens to us about 4 times a year.

If I where you, I would reconsider your view on Samsung a/c's, and put the blame on those pesci chin chuks.

They will get in anywhere.

One also shorted the motor on a treadmill many years ago.

Well it's still a dud.  I cleaned it laboriously with alcohol and brush, and our local "Man" returned and slotted it back in.  It powers up, but remains with the blinking "cl 54" on the digital display on the white box, same as before.

So, I'll try the samsug service centre in CM tomorrow.  And tech-mate, and any other suggestions that come along.

Thank you very much for taking time to reply.  Kap

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

Don't throw the board. Something may have emanated to the outside board which might be under warranty. A "qualified" service call is your best bet. 

Will grip it firmly and cruise the old sois of Cm in search, never to let go, unless there's a trade in the offing.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, maxpower said:

The small holes in the PCB tracks (see photo) are called vias and pass connection from one board side or layer to another. Corrosion often removes the very thin layer of copper from these tiny connections.

via-16s.jpg.24b3129cac81802f4cc9b5a69b1a7e72.jpg

Thank you for this.  I may remove the damn thing tomorrow and inspect.

8 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

Thanks for posting this.  This has removed a lot of my guilt from using sticky-traps to get rid of some small geckos that had been hanging around my desktop mid-tower computer.

Like Bankruatsteve said, I'd try getting rid of the gecko and wiping the board off with distilled water (don't use tap as it likely has dissolved salts). Let it dry and then see if it works.  Hopefully the gecko just caused a logic error on the board without causing damage.

Sticky Wallpaper from now on!

13 hours ago, snapperatlarge said:

Well it's still a dud.  I cleaned it laboriously with alcohol and brush, and our local "Man" returned and slotted it back in.  It powers up, but remains with the blinking "cl 54" on the digital display on the white box, same as before.

So, I'll try the samsug service centre in CM tomorrow.  And tech-mate, and any other suggestions that come along.

Thank you very much for taking time to reply.  Kap

People who work with electronics will tell you if you handle printed circuit boards you should use an earthing/grounding strap. This is usually a wrist band with a metal part contacting the body and plugged into an earthed socket. I use one when working on computer. WHY? Static electricity. Some, if not most circuit boards have components called op amps. They amplify very very small signals into a useable signal for remaining circuitry. They have extremely high amplification level like 100,000 times or more. So if 1 volt static touches the input track of the op amp it will try to amplify it to 100,000 volts. Impossible of course but it will destroy the op amp and possibly other components.

Static is a killer of pc boards, so are geckos and other moisture laden creatures that short across tracks on the pcb and if hits an op amp, goodbye. When inverter ACs first came out in Oz geckos and mice were big problems and a lot of inverter ACs died. It was cheaper to have old one removed and replaced by a new one than to repair. 

20 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

Hopefully the gecko just caused a logic error on the board without causing damage.

We had the same issue years ago, Gecko decided to play with the circuit board, he died and so did the circuit board.

Our local air con guy said he will take it away and do some tests on it and see if he can repair it, but doubted it could be salvaged, however said it was worth a try, and he has installed a lot of air cons for us over the years.

Few days later, no can do, and said he would get us a price for a board replacement, which he did, two days later called and said 2,000 baht including labour, we said ok.

When the job was finished, my wife kept the box the new circuit board came from, it had the shops name on it and being one who doesn't want to feel she got ripped off rang the shop and said she was looking at replacing a switchboard and wanted a price, the guy took the details down, logged it into his computer and said 1,500 baht inclusive of all taxes, but would have to order one as they just sold the last one, so 500 for the guys labour for coming, taking it out, going away, testing it, ordering a new one and installing it confirmed him to be an honest guy in my opinion.

I would suggest you get it tested, but know it is probably fried as our was, then look at getting a replacement and quote to getting it replaced by someone qualified. 

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

confirmed him to be an honest guy in my opinion.

Good to hear. My rear neighbour in Oz had an inverter AC and it stopped working. Had service guy come and checked it. Told my neighbour cheaper to fully replace AC (around$3000aud). I was installing split AC as a sideline and he asked me to look at it. When he started it the fan in outdoor unit did not run. I gave it a flick and away the AC went. Result was the starting capacitor for the fan had died and $25 later the AC was working as normal.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I don't think water a good idea.  Isopropyl if you have it or other alcohol.  

Water can work fine if the unit is allowed to dry thoroughly.  I once worked in a calibration laboratory.  If a piece of test equipment came in for recalibration that was unusually dirty it went to the parking lot and was hosed down with soap solution and thoroughly rinsed with the hose.  It was then left fully open under a work bench for 7-10 days to dry.  Never had a problem when turned back on.    

12 minutes ago, keithkarmann said:

Why can't they make them inaccessable to gheckos.

Can't find it now but recall reading review or promotion of LG saying they have critter protection (not sure if that's under warranty though).

Not the cheapest protection but NoGecko sprayed around the indoor unit on periodic basis should keep them out.

Edited by bankruatsteve