Former US Marine arrested over alleged kidnapping of Taiwanese man in Bangkok

489834.jpeg

Image: Naewna

Two Americans, at least one of whom is believed to be a former US Marine, along with a Thai man, have been arrested in connection with the alleged kidnapping of a Taiwanese man in Bangkok.

Officers from Thailand’s Crime Suppression Division announced the arrest of the suspects at a press conference on Saturday.

The motive for the kidnapping was a business feud, police said. 

At the end of 2020, the Taiwanese businessman and one of the American suspects fell out over a deal to buy surgical gloves. The deal was worth an estimated 93 million baht, Sanook reported. 

A debt collection agency which is operated by an Israeli in Bangkok was paid 5 million baht to locate the Taiwanese businessman and act as a mediator between the two parties. One of the former US marines is understood to have worked for the debt collection agency. 

A meeting was set up on March 28 at a restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 36, where it is alleged the US men were involved in the kidnapping of the Taiwanese man.

Police said the men took the Taiwanese man to a property two hundred meters away where he was held against his will and beaten.

The suspects then used the victim's phone to call his wife and relatives where they demanded a total of $3 million for his release.

However, no ransom was paid and the man was eventually released before he reported the incident to police. 

On Saturday, the men were arrested at properties in Bangkok and taken to Thong Lor police station. They have been charged with a number of offences including kidnapping, attempted murder and restraining or detaining others causing physical harm.

Police said Southern Bangkok Criminal Court issued a total of 8 warrants over the incident - 7 foreigners and 1 Thai, most of whom are still at large. 

Thaivisa also understands one of the men arrested has previously been charged with drug trafficking in the United States. 

Below is video footage of the suspects arriving at Thong Lor police station.

Download

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-16

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

"Israeli in Bangkok was paid 5 million baht to locate the Taiwanese businessman".   I mean what ends some folk will go to !

I think it means that they lost far more money already to the Taiwanese, but I'm sure if it was you, you should just let it go.

Take note, 93 million is probably a million times what you have in your pocket

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

They have been charged with a number of offences including kidnapping, murder and restraining or detaining others causing physical harm.

Oops, the reporter must have missed that one in his quoted preamble.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Police said Southern Bangkok Criminal Court issued a total of 8 warrants over the incident - 7 foreigners and 1 Thai, most of whom are still at large. 

Reminds me, I must watch Seven Psychopaths again.

1 hour ago, Taboo2 said:

He will need his skills at hand to hand combat where he is going.

Nah.  The Jarhead network runs deep and they take care of their own.  Calls will be made, strings pulled and you'll likely never hear another word about him.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, pixelaoffy said:

Ah these idiots who believe they will get a ransom ...and $3million for surgical gloves.. haha. For Thailand ?

Total fools. All the scams and rip-offs regarding surgical gloves and for that matter PPE are purely reserved for Thais with connections, these fools should have known that.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Nah.  The Jarhead network runs deep and they take care of their own.  Calls will be made, strings pulled and you'll likely never hear another word about him.

o please

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Excel said:

Total fools. All the scams and rip-offs regarding surgical gloves and for that matter PPE are purely reserved for Thais with connections, these fools should have known that.

Seems you have a point there.

For about 3 weeks the entrance to our house was continually being blocked by parked cars from 4 pm to 10 pm. 

Anyway I complained (in a polite way) to one of the drivers and asked him to move so that we could enter the house. I met him several times after that and we talked a bit, so I asked him what on earth was going on. His answer "Rubber gloves".

These people were paying 10,000 Baht a day for 3 weeks to rent a house to sell gloves. There must have been a lot of money involved. It could even be the same people as in this story. No idea.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

wow. some people lead exciting lives. 

And here I am running out of TV shows, sick of staring out the window wondering what others are doing, whilst all these wannabe gangsters are having all the fun kidnapping, beating up people and playing ransom games.  I'd better get a life.  

Thailand really has to start to do comprehensive criminal background checks for people wanting to come here. Perhaps a record check from your home country's police force should be required to be shown for entrance here. Then on top of that problem you have companies facilitating the bribing of government workers to avoid immigration regulations for those who don't have the funds to support themselves. Many of these low life types follow a pattern, if they break one law (to stay here) it emboldens them to break any law if it suits them. Time to get rid of the trash..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Bangkok, Oriental setting
And the city don't know that the city is getting
The crème de la crème of the chess world
In a show with everything but Yul Brynner

Time flies, doesn't seem a minute
Since the Tyrolean spa had the chess boys in it
All change, don't you know that
When you play at this level there's no ordinary venue?
It's Iceland, or the Philippines, or Hastings, or
Or this place!

One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble

Can't be too careful with your company

23 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Thailand really has to start to do comprehensive criminal background checks for people wanting to come here. Perhaps a record check from your home country's police force should be required to be shown for entrance here. Then on top of that problem you have companies facilitating the bribing of government workers to avoid immigration regulations for those who don't have the funds to support themselves. Many of these low life types follow a pattern, if they break one law (to stay here) it emboldens them to break any law if it suits them. Time to get rid of the trash..

I certainly had to provide a Federal Police check with my visa application, from Australia

• Like 1

What struck me the most from the video was the reading of the suspect's rights.  It was almost word for word the Miranda warning given to arrestees in the US.  Right down to the bit about If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed.  Do they really appoint attorneys if you can't afford one in Thailand?  Or did they do a google search for what to say in English when arresting someone?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thaivisa also understands one of the men arrested has previously been charged with drug trafficking in the United States.

No worries, the Constitution Court will allow you to be a Cabinet Minister. 

8 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

In big trouble if they did not have work permits

They are being charged with Kidnapping & attempted murder........ and you feel that  not having a work permit is the big worry...................????