Former US Marine arrested over alleged kidnapping of Taiwanese man in Bangkok

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, zhounan said:

What about the Israeli?

Can Israelis, or any other foreigners, get work permits to run debt collection agencies in Thailand?  Can foreigners in Thailand be employed as debit collection so-called agents?

Nah.... didn't think so.

Meanwhile, assuming the OP story is correct in its details, can't help but thinking of the famous Marines motto, "the few, the proud" and the jailed.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

deal was 93,000,000

paid 5,000,000 just to find this guy......   more zeros, MORE stress...

my normal day

noodles:  25 

water:  10

apple, one:  5

see, keep those zeros away!!!!!

oh, i forgot, Thai wife...  1000000000000000000000000000000000

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Can Israelis, or any other foreigners, get work permits to run debt collection agencies in Thailand?  Can foreigners in Thailand be employed as debit collection so-called agents?

Nah.... didn't think so.

Meanwhile, assuming the OP story is correct in its details, can't help but thinking of the famous Marines motto, "the few, the proud" and the jailed.

Well if a foreigner runs a debt collection agency, by structuring a company with legit shareholding structure 51% Thai and remaining foreigner, and registered capital is enough to get a work permit quota.  Guess it can be done, however, after registering a company at DBD all companies providing debt collection services has to submit a registration for clearance at Metropolitan Police (บชน) I believe.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, impulse said:

He left Thailand on his Russian passport.

I thought at entry you get an entry stamp, assuming he used another passport for entry how would he leave without the entry stamp on another passport?  It's a genuine question for education not trying to rebuff the statement.

At start of pandemic, many bad  deals were made for PPE. It is a long list of terrible greed crimes that may have cause many to become ill or even die  China factories sent defective PPE to the world.

https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/press-releases/chinese-manufacturer-charged-exporting-misbranded-and-defective-masks-falsely-purporting-be-n95

https://www.businessinsider.com/photos-faulty-ppe-sent-to-us-care-homes-gowns-masks-2020-7

https://globalnews.ca/news/6905351/coronavirus-china-canada-faulty-masks/

Middlemen cashed in selling to local agents. When the defects were discovered, the local agents were held liable, ordered to refund and other penalties. The problem for them is that the manufacturers and distributors in Asia

refused to  refund or give money back. In China, the companies do not operate without approval of China government and  China military because at start of pandemic, China take control of all PPE factories.

Understanding this explains why someone would be in panic situation desperate to get money back.  it is not good to cheat  a government because they will go after you.

Why is it important to mention an accused is "EX USA marine"? it has no relevance if the service record is not mentioned. If man was criminal and discharged because of it, it calls into question on how he  entered Thailand, otherwise it has nothing to do with case. And so what if  collection agency manager was Israel man? If he had operating license and was legal, it too is not important. I look at the emphasis on foreigner as another indication of how so easy to blame foreign people. We never see mention of the Thai loansharking gangsters who do far more damage to Thai society.

Collecting debts in Thailand is difficult for foreigners and becomes a near impossible task when debt involves China suppliers because they are protected by China government. Nasty people require appropriate measures to manage them.

12 minutes ago, jane008 said:

I thought at entry you get an entry stamp, assuming he used another passport for entry how would he leave without the entry stamp on another passport?  It's a genuine question for education not trying to rebuff the statement.

You are correct.  Mine was a tongue in cheek statement. 

8 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

They are being charged with Kidnapping & attempted murder........ and you feel that  not having a work permit is the big worry...................????

Perhaps irony and sarcasm escapes you

Why is it important to mention an accused is "EX USA marine"?

Because people are interested in it, happens all the time, all over the world.

Not the sharpest knifes in the draw dragging a guy out of the restaurant like that, then going back to hang out in their fancy condos by the river. That's a long list of serious charges.

Edited by Smithson