Mobility scooter

DavidH555

I would run that by the wife very carefully as Thailand is not exactly user friendly for such if MIL has not been a cycle driver.  That said expect they could be safely used within housing areas.  In city perhaps taxi money would be a better option.  If not in an upscale area it could also make her a target for theft.  

I have noticed a number of people using dual rear wheel motorcycles lately which might be an option for distance use by someone with MC experience.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

But you are not Thai and everybody knows you are a Cranky Old Man.  ????

Of course it makes a big difference where and who - and in your case it is a requirement for mobility.  Just being old may not justify.  Would not want to place MIL into position where she is uncomfortable so best to think hard first.

Size, features, range distance and quality of mobility scooter is important as is availability of spares. Service in case of problems should be a consideration too. If she can get to a mobility shop to try various models then that is a good option. Buying online is fine if she knows exactly what make/model she requires.

• Like 2

I would recommend you NOT buy a Three wheel model as if you happen to go to fast and turn the wheel too much then over you go.

As they go relatively slowly I would advise anybody to Fit a Pole on the back (An Old Fishing rod is fine) with a Flag on it so people can actually see you clearly and hook up some extra LED flashing lights at the rear 

Three wheeled motorbikes (TRIKES)

which have been modified locally, These are heavier and seem to have a lower C of G,  I have not had any tendency for mine to flip over.

I have one here in Pattaya a PCX 150, great bike but DLT do not allow them so you need to pay a fixer 1500 Baht a year to get around the system, they take a "rubbing" of the engine and Frame which of course are the same as the original as its only the back end that's changed  (but no Photo)  

As far as DLT are concerned they are the same as any motorbike that has been illegally changed from the original Spec.

The biggest problem is they are VERY EXPENSIVE.

They have to be steered, you do not lean like a bike. Strange to begin with but easy to adapt, just take it easy. I feel safer on it than a bike.

My lad had a bike accident, ( Not his fault) broken pelvis so he has it at the moment.

You could buy and old NV pickup for the same price and be in the dry with Air CON.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

If MIL is mobile and can ride a bike a simple electric bike would be a better bet? No stigma. No training. et al.

Stigma?? How can riding a motability scooter possibly be the cause of stigma? Sound like you are saying riding a scooter is something to be ashamed of.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 4:07 PM, lopburi3 said:

I would run that by the wife very carefully as Thailand is not exactly user friendly for such if MIL has not been a cycle driver.  That said expect they could be safely used within housing areas.  In city perhaps taxi money would be a better option.  If not in an upscale area it could also make her a target for theft.  

I have noticed a number of people using dual rear wheel motorcycles lately which might be an option for distance use by someone with MC experience.

She is in a small town down south. The footpath in this town is surprisingly good. Thx for your imput