Where can I buy a bamboo ladder in Chiang Rai?

westbounder

Hi,

I am looking to buy a bamboo ladder approximately 6 or 8 meters tall made from bamboo, just like you see on top of the 3BB internet trucks.

The bamboo ladders and rungs are strong and are supported by tied steel wire.

I have not ever seen them for sale anywhere in Thailand..

Thank You

• 2 weeks later...

I know the place! Unfortunately it's not in Chiang Rai.   There's a village between Fang and Chiang Dao that sells these ladders and other similar bamboo products for fences, walls, scaffolding, DIY furniture, etc..  I can't find the exact location on Google Maps right now, but its a bit north of the Huai Luk royal project and market.  I've driven through almost monthly during the past 2 years and seen ladders.  If you drive on that road, you will see the shops easily on both sides.  If you are lucky, you will also find people selling local wild foods such as mushrooms and other vegetables.

Personally, I would ask the 3BB guys next time you see them, they'll be local and might have a clue and I would also visit my local bamboo shop, you know the ones that make the bar stools, the sofas, the salas and so forth...................

On 5/16/2021 at 6:23 PM, westbounder said:

The bamboo ladders and rungs are strong and are supported by tied steel wire.

Yea!  Important first thing to do when you get your ladder.

Something to watch out for is the distance between the rungs. Not all have the same spacing and wide spacing can make hard work of climbing up the ladder.

You can also give it a coat of preservative. The liquid does not easily soak into the bamboo  but a couple of days left to dry will give the ladder extra protection.

????

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

there is a shop or two in ban lao here in the wiang chiang rai district that sells them, bought one with 16 rungs, about 8 meters long for about 25 or 30 baht a rung.

look for hardware stores at the rural villages, most have them. Some sell the steel straps as well.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 10:11 PM, Daffy D said:

Yea!  Important first thing to do when you get your ladder.

Something to watch out for is the distance between the rungs. Not all have the same spacing and wide spacing can make hard work of climbing up the ladder.

You can also give it a coat of preservative. The liquid does not easily soak into the bamboo  but a couple of days left to dry will give the ladder extra protection.

????

Yup, exactly.

I bought a 5 metre ladder ( nowhere near the op unfortunately )about 3 years ago  and was recommended by a neighbour to buy some steel wire for reinforced rungs .

The spacing of the rungs also took me by surprise, I am average height but do find it a bit of a stretch, especially if carrying tools or the like.

Not sure if rung spacing varies but something to look for.

• Like 2