Thai covid insurance - compulsory?

I advise the OP and anyone else applying for visas and COEs to politely email their respective embassy to check this as there is  much conflicting forum and Facebook group 'opinion' on this, and also conflicting information on the Thai evisa and embassy websites. Also there are differences between embassies in how Thai visa legislation is interpreted and implemented.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 2

If you insurance covers medical and accident and emergency and Covid is specifically mentioned as covered for $100k Covid cover then its fine. The other thing is what extension of stay do you have the re entry for. If its marriage no issues but if retirement you may need 40k outpatient and 400k inpatient insurance as well to get the COE. The UK does not require this for existing retirement extensions with a re entry but many embassy's do. Best to check.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jimn said:

If you insurance covers medical and accident and emergency and Covid is specifically mentioned as covered for $100k Covid cover then its fine. The other thing is what extension of stay do you have the re entry for. If its marriage no issues but if retirement you may need 40k outpatient and 400k inpatient insurance as well to get the COE. The UK does not require this for existing retirement extensions with a re entry but many embassy's do. Best to check.

Interesting point RE retirement visa.

I'm on a Re-entry permit based on marriage so should be ok.

This is my 3rd CoE to date and i've not needed the local thai CV insurance yet but i know people that have ( perhaps retirments? )

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

I do not want to buy insurance on my return as it is a rip off. I have no choice however, and https://covid19.tgia.org offers reasonably priced insurance, although I have not shopped around. Since my retirement is valid till next April, I do not want to pay for 8 months insurance. Can I buy a one way, fully refundable, ticket to Australia for two weeks after I enter Thailand, and then I need only buy one month of insurance? Cashing in the ticket back to Australia after I arrive back in Thailand.