BKK Where to go for residency certificate?

Need to renew drivers license Chatuchak.

I'd read I need to go to CW for paperwork? What do I need to bring?

Any chance an old work permit might do? New ones don't have address inside them.

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He's asking about a residency certificate from Immigration.

I was giving the OP an alternative for proving address.  I didn't realize that immigration specifically wanted a CofR for DL renewal.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, anchadian said:
17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He's asking about a residency certificate from Immigration.

I was giving the OP an alternative for proving address.  I didn't realize that immigration specifically wanted a CofR for DL renewal.

I was pointing out that he didn't want alternatives.

"I didn't realize that immigration specifically wanted a CofR for DL renewal".

I've no idea what that means.  Immigration don't want CoR for licence renewal.   LTD want it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recently renewed my Licences at Sukhumvit branch. They insisted on a Certificate of Address and a Medical Cert.

The Addr Cert can be obtained at the Temporary Immg office in Muang Thon Tani (not in CW).

I took Passport with Visa, A recent Utility Bill / Bank Book with address.

• Like 2

DLT will require a Certificate of Residence which you will need to get from Muang Thong Thani.

Before you potentially waste time going though it would be worth calling Chatuchak / Mo Chit DLT to see if they have resumed renewing driving licences for foreigners.  Last I checked, just over a week ago, it was all suspended, only Thais being able to renew currently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PMZ said:

renewed my Licences at Sukhumvit

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

require a Certificate of Residence which you will need to get from Muang Thong Thani.

That's what I was afraid of. Many tthank.

Regarding MTT is it possible to make an appointment?

Edited by kynikoi

28 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

That's what I was afraid of. Many tthank.

Regarding MTT is it possible to make an appointment?

For a CoR, no.  They are only valid for a month too so you need to be sure you will be able to renew the DL within a month of having it, otherwise you will have to go and do another.

I'm waiting to renew my DL too, I'm not expecting the DLT to start doing foreigner renewals again until after 30 June.  Could be lucky I suppose that they'll resume before then but I'm not hopeful.  I plan to call them every 2-3 weeks.  The posts about folks just turning up an renewing recently are irrelevant if 'recently' was before the Covid wave that caused the current shut downs and service suspensions.

10 minutes ago, SooKee said:

The ONLY thing acceptable to the DLT is a Certificate of Residency issued by Immigration or an Embassy. 

Not wholly correct. 

The DLT in different regions have slightly different requirements.

For example: DLT Area 3 (BKK Sukhumvit) accepts Certificate of Residence letter issued by Immigration, Affirmation of Residence motorised by your Embassy, the Yellow Tabien Baan house book. 

It has been reported that DLT in Pattaya will not accept the Yellow Tabien Baan as proof of address (which is somewhat astonishing).

The Op is looking to go to DLT near Mor Chit, which I expect will accept the 3 main document types: 

- Certificate of Residence letter issued by Immigration,

- Affirmation of Residence motorised by your Embassy

- Yellow Tabien Baan house book. 

I have not known of any DLT which accepts any other form of Proof of Address such as Rental Agreements or utility bills etc, but its possible some may, that would require local knowledge of that specific DLT office. 

21 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

utility bills will have your address on them as proof of address

It would be interesting to know if any foreigner has ever successfully used a Utility bill as proof of address when applying for or renewing their Thai Driving Licence.... (which DLT office) ?

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would be interesting to know if any foreigner has ever successfully used a Utility bill as proof of address when applying for or renewing their Thai Driving Licence.... (which DLT office) ?

i used my bills also bank statement sent  from H S B C bank in the UK I get them every month to my condo address !!!!!!

why comeback with such a sttement when I AM TELLING/giving you info......

On 5/16/2021 at 9:04 PM, anchadian said:

they always want C of R even tho your address is on back of driving licence.....it is ALL ABOUT MONEY......!!!!

• Haha 1

I find it impossible to believe that anything other than a C of R from Immigration or Embassy, or Yellow House Book, would be accepted by DLT for renew a DL, transfer a vehicle, or any other service provided by them.

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 11:46 AM, tinca tinca said:
On 5/17/2021 at 7:41 PM, richard_smith237 said:

why comeback with such a sttement when I AM TELLING/giving you info......

Because you are making a statement which contradicts the vast amount of information previously reported in threads such as this. 

This new information can save some people a lot of hassle when going to the same DLT that you went to.

Alternatively, this can also create hassle for others going to a different DLT beleiving a utility bill is accepted when it may not be. 

For example: The DLT Area 3 (Sukhumvit, Bangkok) does not accept a utility bill as a proof of address for a driving licence application or renewal. I was not aware of any DLT in Thailand that did accept a utility bill. 

Hopefully that explains why I’ve come back with that response for clarification. 

Can you tell us at which DLT (town / area) would accept your UK HSBC letter as proof of address for driving licence renewal. 

Edited by richard_smith237

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because you are making a statement which contradicts the vast amount of information previously reported in threads such as this. 

This new information can save some people a lot of hassle when going to the same DLT that you went to.

Alternatively, this can also create hassle for others going to a different DLT beleiving a utility bill is accepted when it may not be. 

For example: The DLT Area 3 (Sukhumvit, Bangkok) does not accept a utility bill as a proof of address for a driving licence application or renewal. I was not aware of any DLT in Thailand that did accept a utility bill. 

Hopefully that explains why I’ve come back with that response for clarification. 

Can you tell us at which DLT (town / area) would accept your UK HSBC letter as proof of address for driving licence renewal. 

i said immigration accepted my uk bank statement as proof of address also acepted my utility bills.

THIS WAS SOI 5 IMMIGRATION JOMTIEN...

any thig else YOU want to KNOW

i am 176 in height....weigh 86 kgs 

OKAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 5/17/2021 at 7:41 PM, richard_smith237 said:

On 5/18/2021 at 11:45 AM, tinca tinca said:

i used my bills also bank statement sent  from H S B C bank in the UK I get them every month to my condo address !!!!!!

31 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

i said immigration accepted my uk bank statement as proof of address also acepted my utility bills.

THIS WAS SOI 5 IMMIGRATION JOMTIEN...

any thig else YOU want to KNOW

i am 176 in height....weigh 86 kgs 

OKAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You replied to Richard that you used a UK bank statement as proof of address for a DL - don't try to move the goal posts by now saying it was Immigration Soi 5

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 8:29 AM, kynikoi said:

Anyone have a definitive answer? DLT Chatuchak. Drivers license renewal. Proof of address.

DLT at Mo Chit (Chatuchak) require a Certificate of Address (from Immigration) or an Affirmation of Residence (from your Embassy) - according to one recent reports the DLT at Mo Chit will not accept the Yellow Tabien Baan house book as proof of address. 

The DLT at Mo Chit is currently open and accepting driving licence renewals (according to a thread which is posted at the based of this response).

On 5/17/2021 at 2:37 PM, PMZ said:

I recently renewed my Licences at Sukhumvit branch. They insisted on a Certificate of Address and a Medical Cert.

The Addr Cert can be obtained at the Temporary Immg office in Muang Thon Tani (not in CW).

I took Passport with Visa, A recent Utility Bill / Bank Book with address.

As of Jan 2020 DLT Area 3 (Sukhumvit Branch Bangkok) accepted the Yellow Tabien Baan house book (also Certificate of residence and Affirmation of Residence). 

On 5/16/2021 at 8:01 PM, Liverpool Lou said:
On 5/16/2021 at 7:30 PM, sometime said:

In Pattaya we have always used our old DL at immigration for proof of address

That's acceptable at Chatuchak, is it?

No. An old Driving Licence has never been useful as proof of address at DLT (Mo Chit / Chatuchak or anywhere else) when renewing a Driving licence. 

A Driving licence may be useful as proof of address when obtaining a proof of address letter from Immigration (i.e. at Munag Thong Thani Immigration (nest Impact exhibition centre).

On 5/17/2021 at 4:53 PM, SooKee said:

Before you potentially waste time going though it would be worth calling Chatuchak / Mo Chit DLT to see if they have resumed renewing driving licences for foreigners.  Last I checked, just over a week ago, it was all suspended, only Thais being able to renew currently.

Don’t ask a question you don’t want an answer to !!! i.e. if you ask, they are saying no....  officially all driving licence renewals have been postponed. 

But, there have been reports of guys getting renewals.... 

In the thread linked (below) alyx [poster] confirms that the DLT at Mo Chit is also carrying out driving licence renewals. 

Even though this thread specifically deals with International Driving permit applications information in the thread outlines that the DLT at Mo Chit is open for all services. 

Edited by richard_smith237

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Don’t ask a question you don’t want an answer to !!! i.e. if you ask, they are saying no....  officially all driving licence renewals have been postponed. 

But, there have been reports of guys getting renewals.... 

In the thread linked (below) alyx [poster] confirms that the DLT at Mo Chit is also carrying out driving licence renewals. 

Even though this thread specifically deals with International Driving permit applications information in the thread outlines that the DLT at Mo Chit is open for all services. 

Well, if you think that's a smart way of doing things, fill your boots.  Personally I would rather call the DLT and ask what the current situation is than waste time and expense going to Muang Thong Thani to get a COR only to turn up at Mo Chit and be told wait until whenever then have to go to MTT and go through the whole process again, along with another medical certificate given both only have a one months validity.  Equally I would rather refer to what the DLT indicates on its own website for address confirmation rather than hoping they might except a yellow tabien Bahn which is not listed.  What others do is entirely up to them.  

The 5>5 year renewal is suspended for foreigners as they need to watch the video training which Thais can do online.  AFAIK (though I've zero interest in checking because it doesn't apply to me) the 2>5 year renewals are being processed as there is no video to watch.  I prefer to get the facts rather than jump to conclusions because I've seen some random post about somebody getting a renewal somewhere, particularly where it's not a renewal done since the current April 2021 suspensions started.

There have been several posts mentioning people have got IDPs and even renewed 5 > 5 year DLs, the latter from what I've seen all being done BEFORE the current suspension of services.  There are also people referring others to posts which talk about renewals prior to the current suspension of service, apart from the documents needed, totally irrelevant.

My time is more valuable to me than running around Bangkok like a headless chicken hoping for the best and more valuable that bickering on Thai Visa with some pole who seem intent on just looking to start arguments.  Have a nice day. 

Edited by SooKee