Better Than Lipton Tea

Bob4u

14 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Tesco sold out to a Thai company so you won't always get the real deal stuff here.

Lot's of "Tesco own" products now not available but for now at least the major stores have not descended to the level of the regional Tescos.

A bit like when Carrefour was taken over, there's still some Farang goods at the Big C Extra that makes it shoppable for Farangs.

Plus they are dropping the Tesco from their name.  Just Lotus's now.

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The expat stores in Pattaya have a good choice and at least one delivers. I'd never touch Lipton or any of the other available ones again. Siamsburis for example

typhoo 100 one cup 85thb

18 hours ago, kickstart said:

I had the same problem ,I found Barry's Irish tea  very good strong tea ,not that expensive ,and in this day and age a very quick postal service 

That is what I've had for some time. Long wanted to try it as they named it after me ???? and it's so strong I was able to use each bag twice. I used to get 80 bags for a little over 7 Euros including postage, but when the pandemic hit they resorted to courier service and that made me realise why Twinings charges 22 pounds for delivery at all times, pandemic or not. I haven't checked the Barry's cost recently, and now buy packs of 100 Typhoo for 200 baht from someone who sells all kinds of Expat stuff.
I guess that tea is expensive in Thailand because Thais don't drink it, and I used to always carry some back when I travelled a lot. Lipton's is the McDonalds of teas, available everywhere but not very good.

EDIT UPDATE: checked and standard postage is back, just over 8 Euros for 80 including delivery. Love it. I was lucky enough to get the tin when I first ordered. Only available at that time.

Barry's Tea.jpg

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Stop using teabags. Get loose leaf teas from your local Chinese/Thai grocer (Three Horse Brand). These are oolong teas. https://www.3horsestea.com/ (don't buy the cheap ones, get the more expensive ones).

Also local loose leaf jasmine tea from northern Thailand.

For a superb drink in humid weather team them with

fresh Ginger Root for Ginger Chai

Edited by Brahmz
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And it needs to be strong enough to use every bag three times.

Although I'm not tight!

How un-British! And how does the third cup taste, feline urine?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Last time I used tea bags was in a hotel which supplied Twinings, used two of them one cup, no idea how you use one tea bag 3 times. Be barely coloured hot water

• Like 1

Just now, KannikaP said:

All 3 cups taste exactly the same, as the bag gets older I leave it in longer.

(OK so I get the occasional 'feline urine' cup, but not often enough to stop me doing it)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

A very misleading headline...........................everything's better than Lipton's.

I never tasted much difference in teas, then again i never really checked and im not a Brit. 

I usually drink green tea but also twinnings and lipton. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I never tasted much difference in teas, then again i never really checked and im not a Brit. 

I usually drink green tea but also twinnings and lipton. 

You do know that Covid affects your sense of taste!   LOL

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Helendiv English Breakfast Tea, 190bht for 100 bags.

I use every bag 3x.

That's what I drink. I'm not quite as bad a Cheap Charlie as you though. Three mugs out of two! Waste not want not. Something drummed into me as a child during WW2.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

You do know that Covid affects your sense of taste!   LOL

I think its mainly because i never taste tested it. Never really gave it much thought. 

Do find that tea is expensive but then again if you compare it with other drinks its cheap. Not sure why people would economize on tea (if its something they like). Per cup its dirt cheap compared to almost any other drink.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Last time I used tea bags was in a hotel which supplied Twinings, used two of them one cup, no idea how you use one tea bag 3 times. Be barely coloured hot water

Obviously you haven't seen Maggie Smith in 'The Marigold Hotel' teaching the waiter how to make a cup of tea. Ironically in India.

3 hours ago, Saltire said:

Siamburi's in Pattaya, and if you're not in Pattaya like me, the ship nationwide. Good range of tea at good prices.

https://expatfoodsthailand.com/product-category/groceries/drinks-beverages/hot-drinks/

Would you mind letting me know their price on Yorkshire Tea?  I'm unable to see the price as you have to log in to see them.

8 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Obviously you haven't seen Maggie Smith in 'The Marigold Hotel' teaching the waiter how to make a cup of tea. Ironically in India.

Had I had leaf tea available, i would not have used bags.

Of course Dame Maggie would teach the Indians, what would they know about tea ??

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Of course Dame Maggie would teach the Indians, what would they know about tea ??

Exactly. The irony.

32 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

That's what I drink. I'm not quite as bad a Cheap Charlie as you though. Three mugs out of two! Waste not want not. Something drummed into me as a child during WW2.

Sorry. Senior moment. Two mugs out of three bags.????

46 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Drinking tea was introduced to the Indians by the British.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

A very misleading headline...........................everything's better than Lipton's.

Liptons is not made for the farang customer . The Thais will leave the tea bag in the cup of water all day before drinking it cold and without milk . Tea drinking in Asia is not the same as western ways . BTW if buying tea from Lazada , or any other products for that matter , be careful because there are many copies that originate from China . If you do buy keep the packaging and compare it with a genuine western item of the same product .

• Like 2

Twinings has open tea leaves in very many varieties. I loved their "Prince of Wales" Tea. They discontinued exactly this one.

Then I discovered the Tesco Finest English Breakfast with its stunning price-performance. A really tasty tea. Used three bags for my small iron Japanese pot. They took it out of their new "Lotus" offerings.

I have been to Siamburi's before I got the Tesco to get me PG and I think it was Tetley as well what I tired, but the Tesco beat them all later on.

I thank you for all the suggestions here - hopefully there is one that is close to the Tesco taste-wise at a price close to the Tesco as well. If someone would know where to start testing - I am grateful for any advice. I still have two packs of the Tesco and after that I am back to square one - tea-wise.

Edited by moogradod

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

EDIT UPDATE: checked and standard postage is back, just over 8 Euros for 80 including delivery. Love it. I was lucky enough to get the tin when I first ordered. Only available at that time.

That is so, I got a new delivery 2 weeks ago, standard postage . 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, fantom said:

For those who like real tea, there are some terrific local Thai black teas. This is our favourite tea, it is leaf tea, and it tastes divine. There are many very good options well worth trying.

Also making tea like this is much cheaper than tea bags.

20210517_184814.thumb.jpg.8bb63b7199812a543ae0647f6bed8069.jpg

A few years ago a shop at the end of a Soi in our town  had some Thai black tea ,very good it was ,I brought her entire stock then ,she never got any more in .

So ,can you give us a link  where I can buy some, I am in the central plains ,not up north where they grow it