Better Than Lipton Tea

Bob4u

6 minutes ago, kickstart said:

A few years ago a shop at the end of a Soi in our town  had some Thai black tea ,very good it was ,I brought her entire stock then ,she never got any more in .

So ,can you give us a link  where I can buy some, I am in the central plains ,not up north where they grow it 

We get here at central airport festival plaza. I don't know of a link other than trying the royal project site.

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

They discontinued exactly this one.

That's one of the reasons I completely switched to Royal Project teas a while ago. The Highland Black Tea, as recommended by @fantom is quite nice. Since the moment I started experimenting with the Oolong varieties of the Royal Project, however, nothing else goes into my teapot anymore. Their Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai tea gardens are some of the best in the world, IMO.
Difficult to get in Pattaya/Jomtien area, though. (In Bangkok: there are Royal Project shops at MRT Sam Yot and MRT Kampheng Phet stations.) Alternatevely, Villa and makro do Dilmah teas. They are pretty nice, too. Try the Dilmah English Breakfast Tea.

royal-project-oolong12.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Like cricket? Colonisation wasn't all bad.????

....railways, pints of beer.....although they didn't quite get that one, offering a "pint" which is a half or a "full pint" which is a pint.  But a nice masala chai is a lovely cup of tea indeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nakdontree said:

That's one of the reasons I completely switched to Royal Project teas a while ago. The Highland Black Tea, as recommended by @fantom is quite nice. Since the moment I started experimenting with the Oolong varieties of the Royal Project, however, nothing else goes into my teapot anymore. Their Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai tea gardens are some of the best in the world, IMO.
Difficult to get in Pattaya/Jomtien area, though. (In Bangkok: there are Royal Project shops at MRT Sam Yot and MRT Kampheng Phet stations.) Alternatevely, Villa and makro do Dilmah teas. They are pretty nice, too. Try the Dilmah English Breakfast Tea.

Thanks a lot Nakdontree ! I will follow your advice. We are situated in the Najomtien/Pattaya area and for obvious reasons we are not travelling to BKK if there is no urgent need right now. Already some items on the shopping list for BKK - inkl. Ghee for example - and we hope to be able (and willing) to travel at least in some months time.

But we are customers of Villa and Makro locally and try the Dilmah English Breakfast when we see this brand - and ask as well for the Oolong (Nr. 12) of the Royal Project. Maybe they have it in Central Festival here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, moogradod said:

But we are customers of Villa

Last time I looked at Central Festival I couldn't find any Royal Project products.

Some of the Villa markets do Oolong teas from the Suwirun gardens, by the way. Their Oolong 12 and 17 are excellent. A bit pricey, though, but definitely worth a try. Just checked, it seems you could also place an order directly at the Suwirun website, see

http://www.suwirunteashop.com/ทินนี่-กลุ่มชาอูหลง-Tinny-Series/ทินนี่-ชาอูหลง-Oolong-Tinny/ชาอูหลงก้านอ่อนเบอร์-17G50.html

http://www.suwirunteashop.com/ทินนี่-กลุ่มชาอูหลง-Tinny-Series/ทินนี่-ชาอูหลง-Oolong-Tinny/ชาอูหลงเบอร์-12G40.html

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Janner1 said:

I find it quite amazing that people will pay 80 baht for one bottle of beer but get all cheap Charlie and whinging about 135 baht for a box of 100 tea bags that can be used at least twice, that’s 200 good sized cups of tea against one bottle of headache material ????????

I have found that the Typhoo T-Bags only just about give me a decent single cup, needing to be left stewing. Maybe I like a decent strong brew, and I also use a largish beaker. In the UK I used an even larger one and always it was good. 

I am dismayed that people feel a need to reuse T-Bags, I hope you don't do that for a guest..... are they hung out on a line to dry?

I wish my beers were always 80 baht only. 

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Don't bother, Helendiv is as bad as Lipton, very disappointing tea, go for one of the Brit ones

Yes, you are right about the Brit teas, but I find Dilmah to be much better than Liptons which I do not like at all.

On 5/16/2021 at 9:41 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

That’s a good price for the Typhoo One Cup from Lazada.

I bought the Typhoo One Cup Special Blend ( Red Box ) for 145 baht in January.

A quick look at Lazada and saw some chancer trying to sell the same for 290 baht. !!

That is the only thing I do not like about Lazada, they don't seem to care about whether their sellers are honest or not, and will not take responsibility for them, I was stung on at least two occasions by dishonest sellers and their being economical with the truth in their advertising, and as there were quite cheap it was not worth the bother of going to the post office, pay the postage and waiting for weeks for the refund.

20 hours ago, Hotrats said:

Since Tesco Lotus have stopped selling their own brand teas, I have been buying all my tea from Marks & Spencer. They have an extensive choice with a range of prices; all very good quality. Most Central Department stores have a branch of Marks & Spencer.

I only know of three branches of Marks and Spencer. One in Pattaya and two in Bangkok, so where else?

20 hours ago, Saltire said:

Siamburi's in Pattaya, and if you're not in Pattaya like me, the ship nationwide. Good range of tea at good prices.

https://expatfoodsthailand.com/product-category/groceries/drinks-beverages/hot-drinks/

Be careful about their rip off delivery prices for frozen food, though they are cheaper for deliveries of ordinary groceries than Lazada.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I just never think of going in there, I presume there is still one in Central Festival BR Mall? Went in once and the prices put my tail between my legs.

Yes, their prices for mens socks is about double what you would pay in the UK, I know about extra charges for tax etc,  but about double????

27 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Be careful about their rip off delivery prices for frozen food, though they are cheaper for deliveries of ordinary groceries than Lazada.

I would say expensive but not a real rip off. My average order is about 3500 Baht with 400 of that delivery with dry ice etc. If you live as far out as I do, its worth it, as the alternative is to do without. I'd not place a small order as I belive the cost of delivery would be the same.

I use Paleo Robbie too and their delivery is a little cheaper but coming from Bangkok so is closer to me than Pattaya.

Not worth it for a packet of hob nobs, but worth it for a supply of bacon, sausage and steaks etc.

Edited by Saltire

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Price is important though, I don't want to pay more than 2bht/bag.

And it needs to be strong enough to use every bag three times.

Although I'm not tight!

I am an occasional tea drinker, and need 2 red typhoo bags (that I got from Siamburis) for my cup of tea, one only not enough taste....next time I try how it is for the 3rd one to see if can save a bit during these hard times of covid!

2 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I would say expensive but not a real rip off. My average order is about 3500 Baht with 400 of that delivery with dry ice etc. If you live as far out as I do, its worth it, as the alternative is to do without. I'd not place a small order as I belive the cost of delivery would be the same.

I use Pa;eo Robbie too and their delivery is a little cheaper but comeing from Bangkok is closer than Pattaya.

Not worth it for a packet of hob nobs, but worth it for a supply of bacon, sausage and steaks etc.

I  think that the Siamburi's delivery charge for frozen food is maybe cheaper the more you order, if you buy say 1.500Bt it is a rip off, but for your order of 3.500Bt, the delivery charge is probably not so bad, though still a bit expensive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, moogradod said:

Ghee for example

I have seen Ghee for sale in Makro Pattaya it was on the stand alone shelf's near the meat department along with other international foods like spaghetti/pasta and curry pastes.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I just ordered 2x 80 Typhoo tea and a bottle of HP sauce from the Lazada store COD.

Postage was 27bht .............. how much less is your 'cheaper'?

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, johng said:

I have seen Ghee for sale in Makro Pattaya it was on the stand alone shelf's near the meat department along with other international foods like spaghetti/pasta and curry pastes.

I make my own ghee.

Good unsalted butter (real butter) melted and boiled a little in a pan.

Carefully skim off the residue thet floats to the top.

Pour into a container making sure the residue that lies on the bottom stays there.

Put in the fridge.

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

I just ordered 2x 80 Typhoo tea and a bottle of HP sauce from the Lazada store COD.

Postage was 27bht .............. how cheap is your 'cheaper'?

About 150Bt for app 1.250Bt of groceries. Are you saying that the delivery charge for 2x 80 Typhoo tea and a bottle of HP sauce is only 27Bt? Maths was never my strong point, so I apologise if I have got it wrong.

Just now, possum1931 said:

About 150Bt for app 1.250Bt of groceries. Are you saying that the delivery charge for 2x 80 Typhoo tea and a bottle of HP sauce is only 27Bt? Maths was never my strong point, so I apologise if I have got it wrong.

order.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, superal said:

Liptons is not made for the farang customer . The Thais will leave the tea bag in the cup of water all day before drinking it cold and without milk . Tea drinking in Asia is not the same as western ways . BTW if buying tea from Lazada , or any other products for that matter , be careful because there are many copies that originate from China . If you do buy keep the packaging and compare it with a genuine western item of the same product .

Going away from tea for just a moment, I used to buy Shredless Marmalade from Siamburi's which had a grey label, but the Robertsons Shredless Marmalade from the UK from Laxada and that tastes very much the same, and the prices were similar.

28 minutes ago, mran66 said:

I am an occasional tea drinker, and need 2 red typhoo bags (that I got from Siamburis) for my cup of tea, one only not enough taste....next time I try how it is for the 3rd one to see if can save a bit during these hard times of covid!

we've all got different tastes i guess, i found 2 lipton\Helendiv made it drinkable and that's how i finished the box, but Typhoo one cup was fine if you leave the bag in for 5-10 minutes. Glad people don't like them, the price will keep dropping

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

it was not worth the bother of going to the post office, pay the postage and waiting for weeks for the refund.

Always the hair shirts. Nah, print out the return mailing label from the Lazada site, take label and box to the nearest 7/11, wait a few days until shipment received for refund. Convenient, reliable, trivial. Done it a few times. Once the seller even agreed to give me a refund without my needed to return the item and I got use out of it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, moogradod said:

Twinings has open tea leaves in very many varieties. I loved their "Prince of Wales" Tea. They discontinued exactly this one.

Then I discovered the Tesco Finest English Breakfast with its stunning price-performance. A really tasty tea. Used three bags for my small iron Japanese pot. They took it out of their new "Lotus" offerings.

Not long ago I found half a dozen of Tesco finest Earlgrey big boxes (something like 100 bags per box) on their yellow sticker bins. Grabbed all of them for the exorbitant price of 34 baht per box. At the checkout, the girl paused to scrutiny the price , then proceed to slash it further half. Excellent tasting btw, though the boxes were a bit misshapen.  Sometimes living in the boondock does have its privileges.

• Like 1