Anutin, Phiphat arrive in Phuket, assure July 1 reopening

webfact

9 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

Vaccination does not prevent you getting the infection, it just arms you to react to a COVID infection quicker so reducing the chances of it developing into a more serious manifestation.

As yet no one knows if vaccinated people can still transmit the virus even if they do not show any symptoms so it will be a while before vaccination holds any degree of faith to remove a quarantine period.

May the odds be always in your favour.

Not true, all research points to vaccinated people getting far less infected and greatly reducing the spread as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Pretty sure. The Phuket number was 4 cases I think. Or that may have been yesterday. Come what may, Phuket will open, I’m certain of that. Very important people have said so, too much loss of face if it doesn’t.

Wife says it's  down to 2 cases in this mornings Thai media.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

You do realise it is mid May now? Now connection at all between this and opening on 1 July.

I think most tourist don't book on a short term to go on holiday to a far country... Most make plans months before...so 6 weeks to go

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhacsyn said:

It is a serious purge to ensure as many people as possible follow the rules. Anutin visited with the 1st July opening apparently top of the agenda. New daily Covid positive numbers need to be consistently in single digits if that is going to happen. Hence the rules are being enforced rigorously now with a view to achieve that goal. Rules are, of course, subject to review at a later date.

Of course I understand rules are rules.. But they have to be the same for everyone, Thai or non Thai and I see a lot of Thais gathering together without any consequence and if a few foreigners come together there are problems.. For a country that need foreigners is this not a good sign

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

It's not 1 July yet and Covid mitigation restrictions are still in effect. These people weren't following them so were taken in and dealt with.

agree but do the same with Thais and not only if there are non Thais are involved... If the group were only Thai nothing would have happened. I see in my surroundings the same.. all Thais siting together, drinking and make noise, but nothing ever happens.. Do it as a foreigner and there will be the poilice

Bozos in Phuket. To bad his excellency was not granted a ticker tape parade for bestowing them with his presence. If I was Anutin or any of the cronies I would be careful about playing in the sandbox as a cat might come around and cover them up. 

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

agree but do the same with Thais and not only if there are non Thais are involved... If the group were only Thai nothing would have happened. I see in my surroundings the same.. all Thais siting together, drinking and make noise, but nothing ever happens.. Do it as a foreigner and there will be the poilice

I'm sure if you perused the criminal justice stats for Thailand (assuming their available somewhere) I'm sure you would find that the vast vast vast majority of arrests and citations in Thailand each year were of Thais for breaking whatever law they happened to be breaking; and that the figures for foreigners were insignificant in comparison. Next. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I'm sure if you perused the criminal justice stats for Thailand (assuming their available somewhere) I'm sure you would find that the vast vast vast majority of arrests and citations in Thailand each year were of Thais for breaking whatever law they happened to be breaking; and that the figures for foreigners were insignificant in comparison. Next. 

THais are in prison merely because of drugs....murder , robbery and raping. Foreigners only have to pay big fines to build their houses and drive their BMW's.. and sometimes you have to go to jail for overstaying of your visa. If you have money you free and if you are poor there is jail....Best example is Red Bull heir,  and so many others

Edited by ikke1959

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I think most tourist don't book on a short term to go on holiday to a far country... Most make plans months before...so 6 weeks to go

Nothing to do with booking, but with most people being able to realise rules now will be different from rules in 6 weeks time.

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

Nothing to do with booking, but with most people being able to realise rules now will be different from rules in 6 weeks time.

I don't know where you are from , but  you very misinformed about the situation.. Yes the rules will change, but be realistic with growing cases and deaths even in Phuket it seems that the rules will be stricter .. And it doesn't care which color they give, That is only propaganda and fake hopes

17 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Under what could be described as 'normal' circumstances you are correct.   However, this past year hasn't been 'normal'.   For most countries, foreign travel hasn't been possible due to their respective countries restrictions.   That is changing and without doubt there is a great deal of pent up demand.   It remains to be seen how many will take the opportunity of a Thailand visit, whether Phuket or elsewhere.

The flaw that I see in the 'Phuket Sandbox' scenario is that the Thai Government has singled out Phuket as a trial destination.   I'm not aware of any other country who sanction travel to only a part of country.   An example here, the Balearic Islands of Spain (Majorca, Ibiza etc) have had very low levels of Covid for some time, yet Spain as a whole currently remains off limits (though there is the possibility that the Canary Islands could be added to the UK's 'Green List' shortly).   Either the country as a whole is safe, or not at all.

21 hours ago, Uroller said:

Anybody booking flights and hotels for the July Phuket opening had better make sure all bookings are refundable as very doubtful July opening will happen. No sign of restaurants and bars gearing up for July opening???? Other issue is that I’m not sure vaccinated people are immune from actually spreading the virus................no way people in Phuket will be vaccinated by July, especially those staff that will have to come in from their villages????

if the theory is there is no ASQ then wouldnt I just be able to book stg upo arrival? as it seems there would be plenty of empty rooms

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I don't know where you are from , but  you very misinformed about the situation.. Yes the rules will change, but be realistic with growing cases and deaths even in Phuket it seems that the rules will be stricter .. And it doesn't care which color they give, That is only propaganda and fake hopes

Where I am from has nothing to do with this. Number of cases and number of deaths are not growing on Phuket but going down. Your negativity is astounding.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2021 at 6:23 AM, Polaky said:

How long do you have to stay in Phuket before being allowed to travel elsewhere? Phuket is not my destination of choice, has this been discussed or are you limited to the island only?.

Probably as long as it takes to get a rental or a taxi.

On 5/16/2021 at 11:51 PM, baansgr said:

Those 300 arrivals each month will make the economy boom again..flights from UK are almost £900 cattle class

Where are you getting you flight costs from? Just done a quick check on Kayak so possibly cheaper if you look. A lot can depend on the exact dates for outbound and inbound but this is what I've found.

I searched for economy flights from 4th July to 18th July +or- 3 days and  I found Turkish Airlines  £531 - £560.   Singapore seem to be about the same and so do Emirates and Qatar

On 5/17/2021 at 4:43 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

I splashed out on the 49 baht bag ????

16212229475554010532511655707427.thumb.jpg.a492e63e450fe9e478b2124896ac1a18.jpg

So now you can't afford anything to put in it. Are you asking for donations because you were silly and spent too much on a bag. ????????

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2021 at 12:23 AM, Polaky said:

How long do you have to stay in Phuket before being allowed to travel elsewhere? Phuket is not my destination of choice, has this been discussed or are you limited to the island only?.

I think it's 7 days or possibly 7 nights and 8 days.

I think everyone has to get it into context.   

Has the exact criteria for foreign tourist entry been defined?   No.

Is there a guaranteed schedule of aircraft arrivals direct into Phuket from other countries?   No

Has the Thai and local Government met the previously proposed minimum standard of local vaccination?   No

Has there been a national  and global campaign of resort availability and guaranteed opening?   No

Have local Amphurs used the period of negative tourism to enhance the attractiveness of their areas?  No (qualified as some works have been ongoing).

Negative sounding I know, and I also know that local businesses (or at least those who are still open) are desperate for an influx of visitors.   Reality has to kick in though, which is why there is still a steady exodus of Thai nationals from Phuket returning to their home provinces.

I truly feel sorry for those people who desperately want to believe the TAT announcements and predictions, though in their hearts they know things will not change for a long time.

Edited by pagallim

On 5/17/2021 at 12:10 PM, LivinginKata said:

Wife says it's  down to 2 cases in this mornings Thai media.

We all know this number game.  Unless you maintain the same level of testing.  Less testing = less cases.  Even better, no testing = zero case.

• Sad 1

On 5/17/2021 at 6:42 AM, stevenl said:

Not true, all research points to vaccinated people getting far less infected and greatly reducing the spread as well.

Vaccines do not give you Teflon skin. They do not prevent reinfection. They simply prime your immune system to react to a new infection faster by leaving antibodies that can recognise the infection earlier, powering up the immune response already developed for the virus by the vaccination. This in turn can reduce the chances of the COVID virus gaining enough hold to give you mild or severe symptoms. There is as yet no clear information on the % of vaccinated people where that response happens fast enough to prevent them becoming infectious to others. Once that is known then quarantine for vaccinated people on return can be managed more effectively.

image.png.f4a7855e46e3ac787eb5d07846b14d84.png

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57084572

The advocacy levels for each vaccine differ as I previously mentioned, however it should be noted that the trials were made at differing times in the virus pandemic. The prevalence of the virus in the community at the time of the trials would affect the advocacy level. All trialed vaccines do prevent hospitalisation or death and greatly reduce the chances of transmission. To that extent they are all extremely effective in keeping you out of danger and in disarming the pandemic.

There are a lot of half informed views floating about. But I agree, that without the vaccination program, the chances of the World regaining control over the this pandemic would be next to none.

As I said before, make sure you are fully aware of the facts before you proceed to book travel. 

Edited by Muzzique

32 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

Vaccines do not give you Teflon skin. They do not prevent reinfection. They simply prime your immune system to react to a new infection faster by leaving antibodies that can recognise the infection earlier, powering up the immune response already developed for the virus by the vaccination. This in turn can reduce the chances of the COVID virus gaining enough hold to give you mild or severe symptoms. There is as yet no clear information on the % of vaccinated people where that response happens fast enough to prevent them becoming infectious to others. Once that is known then quarantine for vaccinated people on return can be managed more effectively.

image.png.f4a7855e46e3ac787eb5d07846b14d84.png

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57084572

The advocacy levels for each vaccine differ as I previously mentioned, however it should be noted that the trials were made at differing times in the virus pandemic. The prevalence of the virus in the community at the time of the trials would affect the advocacy level. All trialed vaccines do prevent hospitalisation or death and greatly reduce the chances of transmission so to that extent they are 100% effective in disarming the pandemic.

There is a lot of half informed views floating about. But I agree, that without the vaccination program, the chances of the World regaining control over the this pandemic would be next to none.

As I said before, make sure you are fully aware of the facts before you proceed to book travel. 

This quote from your article makes vaccinations even look better, "Of the 95 million people fully vaccinated in the US until 26 April, 9,045 developed breakthrough infections, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)."