Local motorcyclist killed instantly in Pattaya area after reportedly crashing into six-wheel container truck waiting at a red light

webfact

pat.jpg

By Nop Meechukhun

Banglamung, Chonburi – A local motorcyclist was killed instantly last night, May 15th, after crashing into a six-wheel container truck that was waiting for the green light at an inbound motorway in Banglamung District, Chonburi.

Volunteers from Sawang Boriboon Thammasathan and local police arrived at the scene after being alerted of the incident as of 9:30 PM. The body of a 52-year-old motorcyclist, Somchai Puttsasang, along with a wreck of a motorcycle were found at the rear of the six-wheeler.

Truck driver Songkiat Duangkaew, 26, told the police that he was heading to deliver paper to a paper company in the Pattaya branch and was stopped at the intersection, waiting for the traffic light to turn green. Suddenly, he felt a strong impact come from the back of his vehicle and a loud bang was heard.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/16/local-motorcyclist-killed-instantly-in-pattaya-area-after-reportedly-crashing-into-six-wheel-container-truck-waiting-at-a-red-light/

PattayaNews.jpg
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Helmets? Optional, but wear a facemask or else!

good point.

what percentage of people who own a motorbike get into an accident? i'm guessing it's pretty high. 

Edited by covidiot
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, covidiot said:

good point.

what percentage of people who own a motorbike get into an accident? i'm guessing it's pretty high. 

Figures say a motor cyclist is killed, on average, every two MINUTES and seven seconds!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, covidiot said:

good point.

I don't know anyone who hasn't had a scrape at some point.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, covidiot said:

good point.

I don't know that specific figure.

Of the 60-ish deaths a day normally on the roads here 80% of them are motorcyclists.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, covidiot said:

Some time ago it was determined that motorcycles were involved in upwards of 70% of all road accidents in Thailand. That doesn't mean that 70% of the people who own motorcycles get into accidents though. Just like car drivers, no doubt a lot of people will go their whole lives without ever getting into an accident.

But you have to take into consideration that there are more motorcycles on the road than cars/light trucks combined. (I haven't looked at the numbers in a year, but it was something like 21 million + (legally registered) motorcycles compared to about 20 million (legally registered) cars and light trucks.)

There was a thread on here a couple months ago that showed some accident stats, including how many were cause by "speed", how many were on "straight roads", u-turns and so on. If I recall, that one had the number of accidents involving motorcycles quite a bit lower than stats from other years showed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Figures say a motor cyclist is killed, on average, every two MINUTES and seven seconds!

Worldwide or what?

Situation in Thailand is dire but the average death toll is about 50 people on bikes killed per day in accidents. Roughly two per hour (every 30 minutes) and most likely concentrated at certain times of day/night.

(50 or maybe 60 who can tell)

What I once read: three times more accidents (overall) during nighttime compared to daytime.

Again: such accidents happen everywhere around the country.

Newsworthy only under the spotlights of Pattaya, Phuket etc.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Doesn't sound like proper math to me. Wouldn't that be around 700 people a day?

I suspect the number should be every two HOURS.

But I'm really old so maybe I've forgotten how to use my slide rule.

Edited by mahjongguy
senior typo
  • Haha 1

I really find it hard to understand the mentality of Thai motorcyclists, this isn't the 1st time or Indeed the last time this has happened, surely they must be able to see and comprehend a large stationary vehicle at a red light on a well lit hardly busy road ? 

Where is the inner need to persevere, keep living, exist ? Or are they so busy on their phones - texting, drunk, high on drugs or whatever else might fit the bill, I just can't understand why or how they do it.

5 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I really find it hard to understand the mentality of Thai motorcyclists, this isn't the 1st time or Indeed the last time this has happened, surely they must be able to see and comprehend a large stationary vehicle at a red light on a well lit hardly busy road

I have thought about this and been confused too. I came to the conclusion that they are often simply not paying attention. Looking at a phone, daydreaming, coveting a nearby chrome job or exhaust system. Then when something registers, there is no quick involuntary reaction... but we go through a slow thought process. You see it at U-Turns... they wait to go... wait a bit more, then off they go. The car in-front does not see 2 or 3 vehicles ahead, but drives to the one just in front, and even reacts to that belatedly. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

I read not long ago that the official figure is two dead evry half an hour.

Every motorcyclist gets into an accident during their motoring life. Wearing helmet reinforced gloves motorcycle jackets and trousers with reinforced knees and elbows made of materials that reduce grazing will offer some protection but car and lorry drivers don't see motorbikes and motorcyclists tbone each other. Thailands heat is a problem but delivery riders do protect themselves as they are most at risk. The sheer number of motorbikes on the road in Thailand riden without licences or protection by young kids gives the perfect storm.

6 hours ago, covidiot said:

good point.

And what percentage of families know of someone who has been killed or seriously injured on the roads? I'd guess it's 100%. In my wife's family, there has been one death, one who needed steel plates in his leg, another who was unhurt when a pickup he was in ended upside down in a ditch.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Thailands heat is a problem

No excuse. I've often been in Bali for work, and over 95% wear a helmet as it's the law and it's enforced. It's also hot there. In Thailand, over 95% do not wear a helmet, especially outside of the cities, because the same law isn't enforced. The police as much as the drivers are to blame for the massive death toll on Thailand's road, but nobody cares and so it continues year after year after year after year.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

And if the cops enforce for no helmet everyone complains they just want money.

But, I disagree with the laws on this. Except for kids, wearing a helmet should be a personal adult choice.

As the driver of the bike, do I have the right to insist my passenger wears one?

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have thought about this and been confused too. I came to the conclusion that they are often simply not paying attention. Looking at a phone, daydreaming, coveting a nearby chrome job or exhaust system. Then when something registers, there is no quick involuntary reaction... but we go through a slow thought process. You see it at U-Turns... they wait to go... wait a bit more, then off they go. The car in-front does not see 2 or 3 vehicles ahead, but drives to the one just in front, and even reacts to that belatedly. 

I've always put it down to a low attention span, which is why so many fail to keep within the lane for more than 100 metres.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mancub said:

I've always put it down to a low attention span, which is why so many fail to keep within the lane for more than 100 metres.

Lane markings are a waste of paint.... in fact if I use them as I did elsewhere, I would be involved in many a sideswipe. 

19 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

I bet I'm really older than you!  I read the figure somewhere & it stuck along  with 92% of Thais don't pay traffic fines.  I don't question the figures enough because of my really low opinion of Thai drivers.