Thailand reports daily record of 9,635 new COVID-19 cases, including jail cluster

webfact

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

To be pedantic, it’s says most are asymptomatic OR have mild symptoms. You missed out the last bit. 

but of course, just like the population outside prison, only a few get sick enough to be hospitalized and fewer still die.

As a matter of interest, the article seems to suggest that 6 were transferred for hospital treatment today. Would that have happened without the current spotlight on prisons I wonder? We will never know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Hello, what planet are you living on? Certainly not the same 1 as the rest of us. Surge confined to Bangkok, dream on, 2 young boys in the next Issan village came home for songkran, along with their mother, mother has died with covid, boys in hospital.

Thailand planet..............

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

Just think, you use "the sky is falling brigade" to denigrate the people here who have merely been looking out for the well being of the country and people living here, because we we live in reality and understood what would happen without proper precautions being taken (especially when some of us lived through this situation in other countries last year)

Tourism isn't going to be returning in a meaningful way until at least 2022 because of this recent wave and how it's been handled.  Which, on top of the deaths and long term impacts, was something we were all worried about happening. If you don't think losing tourism for another year is a big deal then more power to you I guess

I've said many times on the Forum that tourism will take many years to recover...and it's a very sad thing for the people and businesses involved. The sky is falling brigade has brought nothing to the table except uninformed criticism of Thailand's handling of the pandemic, which in many ways has been exemplary. In case you haven't heard, Singapore, Taiwan, and Malaysia, to say nothing of India, are having increased waves of new cases too so its a region wide problem. 

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I've said many times on the Forum that tourism will take many years to recover...and it's a very sad thing for the people and businesses involved. The sky is falling brigade has brought nothing to the table except uninformed criticism of Thailand's handling of the pandemic, which in many ways has been exemplary. In case you haven't heard, Singapore, Taiwan, and Malaysia, to say nothing of India, are having increased waves of new cases too so its a region wide problem. 

Yep they've done well. Gone from number 117 to number 91 in a couple of months on the covid worldometer. Doing a great job. Should knock off Norway at number 90 in the next couple of days.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

This all again raises the question of why in the middle of last year the government didn't go all out to acquire a huge supply of vaccine-any vaccine(s)-because anyone who was being paid to pay attention, and followed world news reports, could see that eventually the prisons would be a giant problem. I was still living in Din Daeng at that time and thought I was daily observing a miracle-crowded, few masks, few to no cases; it was a mystery. I thought it was genetics, or climate, or pure luck that might go on forever. I didn't think about the prisons, because I was not near one and I'm just an expat. But luck ran out and reality set in.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Apart from the prison system, and clusters in Bangkok, this wave is receding.

if you disagree, please post where the wave is increasing, outside of the places I just mentioned.

Let me guess, Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Migrant labor encampments - with some prison-like conditions (density) - operated by the constructions companies are the next big bomb to drop. There's been one so far (Italian-Thai), expect more.

These camps are EVERYWHERE, and residents move about the city. I saw lines of workers from a  camp nearby queuing with paperwork, assume that's for testing.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

However even in Brazil now they are trying to take the president to the courts for his total faillure. Unlike you i like to see people that perform bad be punished. If this pandemic forces out this military government then one thing good came from it.

Nothing will force this government (that you supported along with the coup) out I am afraid. They are not going anywhere unless the proprietor wills it. 

2 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Thailand now have more cases per capital than USA.

How the table has turned.

It will be interesting to see where Thailand sits for new daily cases on worldometre. Safe to say India no.1, Brazil no.2 and USA no.3 but Thailand I think will be in the top ten. I would say it's pretty obvious Thailand isn't handling things well and before anyone says oh its the prisoners well maybe so but prisoners are the govts. responsibility and they have clearly dropped the ball there not to mention allowing Songkran travel and not doing a hard lock down after the Thong Lor spread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Also not counting the workers camps in Bangkok. 86% explosion in positivity rates. However lets gloss over the prisions and camps. Makes the numbers so much better for you

Hows your last prediction doing?

To be clear, the numbers outside the prison system reflect a 5% positivity rate, with a daily random walk. 

Mother-in-law is in Bangkok and can't go home to Ubon. Her village puuyai baan is not letting anyone in from red zones or local infected areas.  The village down the road has 11 reported cases and no one is allowed to go there or come from there. The local amphur hospital is still coping with the cases for now.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27555/public-health-officials-question-bangkok-governors-office-and-ccsa-for-re-opening-restaurants/

Public health officials question Bangkok governor’s office and CCSA for re-opening restaurants

Thai public health officials are warning the government that re-opening lockdown measures too fast could exacerbate a bad situation, sources told Thai Enquirer on Monday.

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said this weekend that it would relax some lockdown measures including allowing limited dining-in at restaurants.

The move comes despite infection rates hovering around 2,000 new cases per day and around 20-30 new fatalities per day.

• Like 1