Koh Samui: Foreign residents queue up for Covid vaccinations - jabs in May/June

webfact

2pm.jpg

File photo

Many foreign residents of Koh Samui joined migrant workers and Thai people in registering for Covid vaccinations on Koh Samui yesterday. 

Thai print media reported from the multi-purpose center at Pru Chaweng, Bo Phut where they said there was a steady stream of foreigners and migrant workers from Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia as well as Thais. 

Chinathip Akaradechatham of the local council said that everyone was welcome to register and that vaccines had been approved as effective by the government. 

Some 60,000 doses of Sinovac are additionally available. 

People would receive their first dose between May 26th and May 31st and their second from 23rd to 28th June. 

A herd immunity target of 70% was reported.

Vaccinations will be done at four places: Koh Samui Hospital, Bangkok Samui Hospital, Central Festival and a tourism institute at a university. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-17

1 hour ago, MasterBaker said:

they done pretty good job on this island so far. of cause it's a small island and small population, but a good example how to things right

With only one choice... Sinovac.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tidybeard said:

I have an appointment for an AZ jab on the 1st June.... pretty good result. Well done to the Samui authorities in facilitating this !

Where did you go to get the appointment? In the article is says 'the multipurpose center', but I can't find that in google maps...

18 minutes ago, Sihuhata said:

Where did you go to get the appointment? In the article is says 'the multipurpose center', but I can't find that in google maps...

By the lake, opposite Central Festival. Near the roundabout.

Big car park with electric charging stations.

• Like 2

Chinese vaccine that’s not even been passed by the WHO I know where they can stick that and it won’t be in my arm .maybe had the PM and his clowns had it then I might consider it but no they had the AZ vaccine even the Thais are refusing to have the Chinese vaccine 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Chinese vaccine that’s not even been passed by the WHO I know where they can stick that and it won’t be in my arm .maybe had the PM and his clowns had it then I might consider it but no they had the AZ vaccine even the Thais are refusing to have the Chinese vaccine 

If you are lucky to be 60 or more years old, they won't let you have it, i.e. Chinese Sinovac, then you'll need to settle with AZ, which some European countries has abandoned the use of. If you wait till you can buy your own vaccine later this year, you might be able to get Moderna-jabs instead...????

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I'm below 60, they told me already I can't choose, it will be Sinovac, and only if they get enough vaccines.

The mRNA vaccines are my first choice, then comes Sinovac. It is an inactivated  virus vaccine, and I had many of these before. I'm fairly confident I'll handle it well. It doesn't prevent infection very well, but if it keeps me outside the hospital/ICU I'm happy with that.

Probably nothing stops you from later having a pair of Moderna-jabs for around 3k-4k baht for both in a private hospital, then you also have an acknowledged vaccination if travelling abroad. We might all need a booster jab later, or even once a year for some time in the future, nobody knows for how long time a Covid-vaccination gives protection, and if we can boost with another type of vaccine.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, khunPer said:

They already had 50k doses and finished vaccinating the first 25k people on the island last month, according to local news articles.

Another 60k doses plus unknown doses of AZ for all those 60-years or older, will be enough for at least another 30k people. There are 60k registered as living on Samui, and estimated 90k people including unregistered residents, migrant workers and foreigners reside on the island, so in theory 70 percent can be vaccinated before July 1st, the 55k people are 61 percent of 90k people, excluding unknown number vaccinated with AZ.

Great post khunPer, right on the spot with 12 numbers quoted ????

• Like 1