Do you at times miss your home country?

17 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

it's the girls I find boring, most are shallow with no opinions, little knowledge and zero curiosity. They look nice that's about it, all are lovely- at first.

Agreed. There's nothing there. it's like when you go into a shop or to speak to a female at a call centre, attempting a bit of humour or sharing a joke or even a brief chat about the weather for example is a total waste of time. Boring as h*ll.

• Like 1

Miss the seasons in U.K. the most. Spring can be a most pleasant time of year. Hated the last couple of Winter's though as suffered pain in my extremeties. Miss the choices of bread, butter, cheese, quiche, pies, pasties, breakfast cereals, jam, marmalade, tea and coffee. Wide choice of wines at affordable prices. Miss the ease of being able to do most things online. In Thailand have to make several 140 km round trips only to be sent away because 'you only gave me one photocopy last time, we needed two'. U.K. N.H.S. provides a totally free 'safety net' in case of accident or serious illness. Bus stop at end of my street and railway station 5 minutes walk away. Six trains per hour go into Manchester Ringway Airport. No need for taxis.   

• Like 1

USA concerts, playing music with people in clubs as is not a crime, Basketball games with my kids when I take them, Pacific Ocean in San Francisco area has a totally different smell and feel, hikes in nature are far better there, real Mexican and Chinese food (but I can make it here), real cheap great tasting beer and wine, open roads and some family and old great friends from high school. Also a certain wonderful smelling and tasting green thing is legal there. But in general I don't miss American people at all, and usually every time I can't wait to get back here to my home. So if never again I can pass on the USA as am pretty happy jotting around here with visiting friends for the most part. 

• Like 1

Yes.  I miss the following:

1. In N Out Burger

2.Chipotle Burritos

3.Chick Fil A

4.Trader Joes($2 Buck Chuck wines).

5.Gyms that are open at 0500

6.Live Los Angeles Dodgers games(you can tell where I used to call home?)

7. A good bagel.

8. My local Costco where I could walk in and get vaccinated tomorrow(what the heck let me check Singapore Airlines)

9.When I drive knowing most drivers will stop at Red Lights. 

Other than that I do not miss much.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Of course. There is absolutely nothing to do here, one of the most boring countries on the planet. if it wasn't for the 'girls' why the heck would a single one of us even be here? For what exactly?? I literally can't think of a single reason.

I know you are being fecescious ???? But there really is f@@@ all to do here in the sticks and especially now in cov times. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thequietman said:

I know you are being fecescious ???? But there really is f@@@ all to do here in the sticks and especially now in cov times. ????

One of the very best tips I was given when I first arrived in Thailand was to try to avoid being here during April/May. Go somewhere more comfortable. However, as you say, we now have Covid.

I miss the variety and quality of beer in the UK.... Also the bread, Cheese and Wine.

We can get the same things in Thailand, but we pay through the nose for quality. 

I miss the quality of good Veg and Salad in the UK.

I miss the UK weather, I know, I know... its dreadful for 4 months of the year, but from April to October the weather in the UK is generally awesome. I like being outside without the humidity and constantly sweating. 

I also miss family and friends in the UK. 

I miss the proximity to Europe where there are some amazing places to visit (skiing).

I miss the cost of vehicles, free healthcare, good schools which are free. 

----

If I lived in the UK there is a lot I would miss in Thailand. 

Bangkok restaurants are awesome, lots of high quality value options.

I’d miss being able to go to the beach and swimming the sea without a wetsuit !

I’d miss an abundance of likeminded people who are willing to play football at any age.

44 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I plan on going back to the US this year, fire up the beast in the garage....get it serviced and roar away. Not sure if my US DL will renew auto or not. Cruise down to San Diego for old times sake. Sell my car, the car ins laws makes it pricey to keep the car just sitting around. Pig out on some Mexican food, the deli section in major grocery stores, some good VN Pho.

And before long I'll start to miss TL.

Go to TJ cheap about the same as Coconut bar.

38 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Yes.  I miss the following:

1. In N Out Burger

2.Chipotle Burritos

3.Chick Fil A

4.Trader Joes($2 Buck Chuck wines).

5.Gyms that are open at 0500

6.Live Los Angeles Dodgers games(you can tell where I used to call home?)

7. A good bagel.

8. My local Costco where I could walk in and get vaccinated tomorrow(what the heck let me check Singapore Airlines)

9.When I drive knowing most drivers will stop at Red Lights. 

Other than that I do not miss much.  

All the food stuff you can make yourself.  I heavily use "copy" recipes found on line.

The other stuff you would probably say "what the hell am I doing here" after about half hour.......

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I miss the proximity to Europe

Agree Richard, although not necessarily for skiing! Tons of interesting places in Spain and Portugal if you enjoy going off the 'beaten track'. For Winter warmth The Canary Islands are favourite with my neighbours. Alternatively, some nice spots and plenty of entertainment in Benidorm with it's own 'Micro-Climate'.

"All the food stuff you can make yourself.  I heavily use "copy" recipes found on line."

I seriously doubt I could make an In-N-Out burger or a Chik Fil-A chicken sandwich in CNX?  Have you ever had either?  

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I haven't driven coast to coast since I was a teenager and really wanted to do that again.

Me too, when I was a late teenager, then once more in my mid 20s... I get the feeling that it would not be nearly as much fun as it was then.. and even then, foreign travel was much more fun than domestic.. 

no, I haven't been back in a long time and don't really miss much... my freinds even from childhood can email and skype... I would miss Thailand if I lived or visited USA... 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

"All the food stuff you can make yourself.  I heavily use "copy" recipes found on line."

I seriously doubt I could make an In-N-Out burger or a Chik Fil-A chicken sandwich in CNX?  Have you ever had either?  

Never had either but there are some pretty good hamburgers in CM... had a mac cheese burger a couple of times that was pretty good. 

46 minutes ago, thequietman said:

I can well imagine. You just get up and then wait all day until it's time to go back again. Keep living that dream ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clivebaxter said:

The music is the biggest reason, it's the girls I find boring, most are shallow with no opinions, little knowledge and zero curiosity. They look nice that's about it, all are lovely- at first.

Just curious - - what language are you speaking to them in? 

I think most farang have little Thai and I would guess the would sound rather boring too... 

I find Thai quite open and quick to discuss personal things in conversation which I find rather interesting... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Just curious - - what language are you speaking to them in? 

I think most farang have little Thai and I would guess the would sound rather boring too... 

I find Thai quite open and quick to discuss personal things in conversation which I find rather interesting... 

would those personal things include food, the latest lakorn gossip, her family and the price of designer handbags? ????

• Haha 2