Do you at times miss your home country?

The wife and i were talking about missing England ,she lived there with me for nearly 10 yrs and our son went to junior school until he was 12.

we tend to miss it when we are watching a tv prog and some lovely countryside comes on ,she loved going out into the country for a pub lunch and a walkabout ,

but do i miss it enough to want to go back ,no.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

having spent most of my adult life in the bourgeois paradise that is Canberra

I pity you. You wasted your life in that boring place. The people down there are a breed of their own. Rather odd generally speaking

good that you're here now though

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I mean in the winter.  As a young kid, I remember loads of snow, fun building a snowman, sliding down snowy hills etc.  Now I think UK winters are mostly cold, drizzly rain....

Before I moved to live in Thailand, I lived in Andorra, in the Pyrenee mountains, with cross-country skiing on my doorstep, duty-free booze and food, very clean, highest standard of healthcare in the world.

When I'm done with online teaching, I hope to retire back to Andorra or nearby in the mountains, since elderly healthcare in Laos is probably not so good!

Only went to Andorra once, many years ago.  I was supper impressed with the place, but in those days there was only one road in from Spain and the same road out, so to see any large area of the country you had to endure a big boring bit, twice.  I guess it may have changed now, but very nice place, even then. 

4 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Agreed. There's nothing there. it's like when you go into a shop or to speak to a female at a call centre, attempting a bit of humour or sharing a joke or even a brief chat about the weather for example is a total waste of time. Boring as h*ll.

How fluent is your thai?

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Any food you miss can be made here. Quality as good or better than 'home'

I don't think so , not everything at least ; it's a question of "terroir ": ground, weather, grass ; for cheese or wine, taste is different depending on the region they are produced ; I don't think that a tropical weather is the best for these sorts of things 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Aforek said:

I don't think so , not everything at least ; it's a question of "terroir ": ground, weather, grass ; for cheese or wine, taste is different depending on the region they are produced ; I don't think that a tropical weather is the best for these sorts of things 

I did not say replicate - I said you can make it.

Wine - I get my fill right here - spelling different tho' !

Good meat available. Of course you have to pay for it. Like anywhere.

As for some obscure product from a particular region - it is only available there anyway. Want it - get in gear

Edited by canthai55

In normal times, I would return at least once, sometimes twice a year for a few weeks, which was enough for me to keep in touch with people there, as well as not lose touch with the place, which can happen if you stay away too long. At the end of each trip, I would look forward to going back to Thailand. This seemed to work for me as a balance between the two places. Now, because of the pandemic, my next trip will be at least another year away. I am looking forward to it, but being forced to stay here in Thailand has made me adjust in different ways to the simpler life here. The longer this goes on, the less longing I have for my home country - good or bad, not sure. 

22 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Yeah - we usually RV the US 3-6 months a year... It's a brilliant, comfortable, private, fun way to explore....

Covid stopped us last year & probably this year.....

My wife loves being in the snow, so m a y b e - towards the end of the year....

Touring like this = yes / sitting static in one place = no....

Sold my American Tradition 38ft motorhome when I sold all to retire here in Chiang Mai in 2011. I had motorhomes for 30 years and traveled the country and across Canada with the family. Have plans to visit the US in 2023 with my Thai wife and Stepdaughter, wish I could afford to have them experience motorhome travel as we drive from Disneyworld to Washington, DC for one month. Far too much cost for the budget and hassle. Even car rental seems far more expensive than I recall from earlier trips in 2013, and 2015.

Edited by wwest5829

40 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

... I had motorhomes for 30 years and traveled the country and across Canada with the family.

I don't know America ( North and South ) , every country is different, but I think that travelling across USA and Canada must be something !

• Like 1