Do you at times miss your home country?

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Nice that they let you have internet, is it time restricted or the guards allow you to browse the internet when ever you like ?

The guards let me watch as much TV and internet pr0n as I want, and the tennis courts in the exercise yard are first class. It’s a super luxurious prison!

On 5/17/2021 at 12:25 PM, toofarnorth said:

I miss Groningen robblok but that was a long time ago and I miss proper beer and going to a pub on a cold night but then I could smoke in the pub and didn't have to wear a mask.

How things have changed.  Oh to be in England if only for proper beer and to see my children and grand children.

May i add ,  proper Fish n  chips .

No KFC , french fries , <deleted> .

Bangers n mash , with onion gravy .

Indeed ,how times , have changed., 

for the better ??

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 7:11 AM, Saltire said:

I had a trip back to Scotland booked for last May, cancelled of course. Brother had already purchased 2 concert tickets for big acts and I had a list of things to do.

Miss my twin brother

Miss real beer

Miss Indian food

Miss rock/blues live music

Miss getting vaccinated (brother Pfizered ages ago).

Fortunately the list of things I don't miss is much longer, and the plus points of being here longer still.

Can't see me ever getting use out of my unredeemable, non refundable British Airways voucher.

If you miss blues live music, try the Saxophone in Bkk at Victory Monument 

Always good rock, blues or jazz bands

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2021 at 5:54 AM, ABCbangkok said:

Moving back to Vancouver for the fresh air and the natural beauty. The people no better no worse than Thais. The govt though, well Canada treats people much MUCH better than here.

Hopefully you already have a home in Vancouver, preferably paid off.  Housing costs in Vancouver are simply crazy high.  

I am in my "Home Country". Wishing I was NOT and yearning to come back to my home and garden, my adopted family, my dogs and all my friends and acquaintances in Thailand. 

Why do so many expats moan about almost everything in Thailand and remain?

During the course of my 81 years i have lived and worked in UK, Africa, India and SE Asia. The only country I truly miss is Thailand.

However I do not miss the bureaucratic processes and the inevitable corruption that exists in all forms authority.

I recall meeting a young Medical Doctor employed at a Government Hospital with him asking what I disliked about the country. I replied, 'Only one thing', He interrupted with, ' I know, Corruption'.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, fgmr said:

I am in my "Home Country". Wishing I was NOT and yearning to come back to my home and garden, my adopted family, my dogs and all my friends and acquaintances in Thailand. 

Why do so many expats moan about almost everything in Thailand and remain?

During the course of my 81 years i have lived and worked in UK, Africa, India and SE Asia. The only country I truly miss is Thailand.

However I do not miss the bureaucratic processes and the inevitable corruption that exists in all forms authority.

I recall meeting a young Medical Doctor employed at a Government Hospital with him asking what I disliked about the country. I replied, 'Only one thing', He interrupted with, ' I know, Corruption'.

Totally agree. Most fair and balanced observations and, importantly, based upon personal experience living and working elsewhere besides your home Country. I only have actual experience of living in one South American Country and would suggest that the corruption there is worse than Thailand. For example, important projects were/are in the planning stages for decades. Public funds squandered on repeated and unnecessary feasibility studies. Tenders invited from Countries in all Continents. Project eventually abandoned due to legal difficulties and the lack of $100 million USD to commence construction. The money possibly never existed, or, if it did, has long since been misappropriated by Government accountants. No investigations are ever carried out.

Anyone,

Please get me 2 gobstoppers, a stick of licorice root and Oh,  and a frozen jubbly

About a Tanner!

Thank you - I miss them so much!

Edited by ChrisKC
typo

I'm thinking I miss the USA because I have errands there, personal things that need attending. I want to tend to my properties even though they are being managed. If I owned nothing there my view on missing it may also be different. Living somewhere for a solid 40 yrs should have an impact on missing it. 

The "home" and country etc that I knew is long gone and has been replaced with something/people totally different.

Like most things in our lives, consigned to history and live only in the memory.

• Like 1

After a certain amount of years can one still call "home" their countries of birth ? This being said I do not imagine going bak to live in my country of origin as mentalities (both sides) have evolved and  a culture shock would be inevitable but, then, we get used to everything and would settle within months I guess.

On the other hand there are a couple of countries like Mexico and Greece I would see myself going to,  as an alternative to Thailand, Greece being the closest to where I was born. These two countries...I miss them

I moved to Bangkok from northern California about 9 months ago. When I lived in the San Francisco bay area I was homesick for New York City.  I missed things like bagels, good bread, pizza, European food, authentic human beings.  The way I see it Bangkok brings me more of the things I was missing than California ever did (although I haven't found good bagels here... yet). 

So, no, with the exception of family, I hardly miss it.

On 5/21/2021 at 9:07 AM, pseudorabies said:

I moved to Bangkok from northern California about 9 months ago. When I lived in the San Francisco bay area I was homesick for New York City.  I missed things like bagels, good bread, pizza, European food, authentic human beings.  The way I see it Bangkok brings me more of the things I was missing than California ever did (although I haven't found good bagels here... yet). 

So, no, with the exception of family, I hardly miss it.

You couldn't find good pizza in San Francisco? My, things have changed there. 

On 5/17/2021 at 3:36 PM, sqwakvfr said:

Living overseas one must adapt, overcome and persevere to satisfy the trashy culinary cravings. Food and taste can be replicated, it is amazing what tastes one can create with common ingredients"

Of course.  Did that in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait and Haiti.  Adapting, Overcoming and Persevering are easier in LOS but once in a while an In-N-Out is pure pleasure.   Used to be able to fly to Los Angeles twice or three times a year.  Not so much anymore.  I am challenged in the cooking department.  

"In n out is just a burger with fries and onion rings.  Yes it is better than most other fast food but still just a quality burger, nothing special to it. "

That would be just your opinion.  Many others would disagree.  Also, Inn-N-Out does not serve Onion Rings.

You know a couple of years ago In-and Out did pop are store in Bangkok.... Sure they will be here soon full time.

"You know a couple of years ago In-and Out did pop are store in Bangkok.... Sure they will be here soon full time."

Are you sure?  How did I miss it.  I would have been on the first flight to BKK if I had known about this.