Any risks of having an initial Sinovac followed by an AZ inoculation 2 months later?

charliechoc

It looks like all westerners living in Amazing Thailand will soon be able to get the Sinovac jab. 

Im interested to know if theres any research/ clinical trials pertaining to the use of combining the various brands of vaccines within a 2 to 3 month period. 

I feel ok about getting the 1st jab with Sinovac. But would like to follow this up with a jab of AZ or better still the Pfizer one. 

Have a great day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No study on this.

There is a study underway in the UK on 1 dose AZ and one dose Pfizer or Moderna, and several EU countries have already started to do that without waiting for the result of that trial.

But nobody has looked at mixing Sinovac with other vaccine.

That said, it is known that there is no harm in being vaccinated if you previously had COVID (once over the infection and testing negative). So one would  not expect there to be a problem getting a single dose of inactivated virus and then another vaccine later. But that is pure speculation, you are really in your own in deciding this.

You will nto be able to get a certificate of complete vaccination in Thailand mixing doses like this unless the MoPH changes its regimen. You will also not be able to get a 2nd dose of a different vaccine unless you withhold the fact of the prior dose.

If you are over 60, should be able to get AZ in Thailand.  Even under 60, good chance if you wait a month or so. They will have far more AZ on hand than Sinovac by July or August.

No prospect currently for getting Pfizer in Thailand.  Moderna maybe late in the year.

I have a somewhat similar dilemma in that I am going to the US in early July. I don't want to fly unvaccinated and will try to get AZ before then but it will likely be just 1 dose. I have decided if I am able to get the AZ dose, to go ahead with it and then get 2 doses of Pfizer or Moderna in the US (would have to get 2, not 1, or else I would not have proof of complete vaccination in either country). But that is a personal decision and at my own risk.  I haven't decided yet what to do if I can't get AZ and only Sinovac - immune response from 1 dose of Sinovac isn't much and I would likely not have time to get the second.

Please reply on this thread later with your results. It could help a lot of people. 

Thanks and be safe ka

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I have a somewhat similar dilemma in that I am going to the US in early July. I don't want to fly unvaccinated and will try to get AZ before then but it will likely be just 1 dose. I have decided if I am able to get the AZ dose, to go ahead with it and then get 2 doses of Pfizer or Moderna in the US (would have to get 2, not 1, or else I would not have proof of complete vaccination in either country). But that is a personal decision and at my own risk.  I haven't decided yet what to do if I can't get AZ and only Sinovac - immune response from 1 dose of Sinovac isn't much and I would likely not have time to get the second.

Yes, it's a dilemma, especially now that the mask guidelines in the US have changed.  The new guidelines say people who are fully vaccinated don't need to wear masks under most conditions, but as far as I can tell from news videos, essentially everyone – including the very large percentage of unvaccinated people – have stopped wearing them.  This poses a real danger to unvaccinated US citizens (especially older ones) returning to the US and hoping to be vaccinated there.

33 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Yes, it's a dilemma, especially now that the mask guidelines in the US have changed.  The new guidelines say people who are fully vaccinated don't need to wear masks under most conditions, but as far as I can tell from news videos, essentially everyone – including the very large percentage of unvaccinated people – have stopped wearing them.  This poses a real danger to unvaccinated US citizens (especially older ones) returning to the US and hoping to be vaccinated there.

Actually where I am going everyone is both vaccinated and still wearing masks out in public

Seems to be great confusion, understandably since there is no way to know who is vaccinated and who is not

32 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually where I am going everyone is both vaccinated and still wearing masks out in public

Really?  I didn't think any state in the U.S. was even close to 100% vaccinated yet.

2 hours ago, JTXR said:

Really?  I didn't think any state in the U.S. was even close to 100% vaccinated yet.

There are districts/neighborhoods that have hit 100% or very close to it. I wasn't referring to the entire state but to the part of it I will be in. And also referring only to the adult population.

@charliechoc

It's better not to mix different technology. Sinovac and AZ both use different vaccine technologies with different side effects.

I would think one can mix different brands with the same technology but different technology means you are half-there and half-here.

If you really want to change, then take two doses of AZ to complete the doses.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, EricTh said:

@charliechoc

It's better not to mix different technology. Sinovac and AZ both use different vaccine technologies with different side effects.

I would think one can mix different brands with the same technology but different technology means you are half-there and half-here.

If you really want to change, then take two doses of AZ to complete the doses.

Regardless of technology the action is the same. They all stimulate the body's immune system to launch a defense against the virus.

EU countries are widely mixing AZ (adenovirus platform) with mRNA vaccines. Not tested, but being done.

However these are all vaccines of high effectiveness even after just one dose.

With Sinovac the effectiveness after just one dose is quite low.  Really no way to even estimate how protected you'd be with 1 Sinovac and 1 something else.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Regardless of technology the action is the same. They all stimulate the body's immune system to launch a defense against the virus.

Yes but different vaccines are produced using different mediums and production processes, some use a spike from the virus others kill the virus and use that.

A recent Government scientific directive was to not mix until further investigation is carried out as mixing  could be the catalyst for horrendous side effects.

I have had 2 OAZ jabs but there is no way on this earth that I would have had a mix 

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

They are not the same, some actually go into the cell, some just skim the surface of cell to activate a response. Some cause blood clots and some don't.

Some use a whole virus and some use just a part/spike of virus which may not be effective against mutant variants.

You've done your own research but so have I. It's the right of everybody to choose a type of vaccine for himself.

Thailand's Chulongkorn studies have shown Sinovac is slow in activating a response on the first shot but after the second shot, the antibodies is just as effective as Astrazeneca. So unless people here are more qualifed than the virologists at Chulongkorn ., it's better not to make misleading statements.

In the past , it takes 10-15 years to determine whether a vaccine is safe or not. So it's not certain what will happen if we mix two different tech.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1