Real Shop with many Home Automation devices?

OneMoreFarang

I am learning about home automation, especially with Home-Assistant.

https://www.home-assistant.io/

In the moment I am just learning about all the available options.

One important part are obviously lights. And there are many many options but sometimes few criteria to actually compare them.

I.e. I discovered the brand Yeelight and I looked at their website: https://www.yeelight.com/

And then I tried, just to start somewhere, to find their ceiling lights on Lazada.

Basically nothing matches. On Lazada they sell lights with model numbers which don't exist on the website and the other way around. Some lights might be identifiable by the size. But then the same size is no guarantee that it is the same model.

And before I spend a lot of money on things which might be what I want but maybe they are not what I want I would love to see, and maybe test them, in a real shop somewhere in Bangkok.

Does anybody of you know such a shop? Thanks.

Just in general: I want an offline system which does not depend on the internet and any cloud services. I also don't want microphones like Alexa listing to me all day and night. This is why I started with Home-Assistant which runs locally. It is not exactly easy but my technical skills are ok and I am pretty sure I will be able to manage it.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Dunno if it helps but our Global House has tons of all sorts of lighting. 

Thanks

It's about "smart lights". This is an example:

Arwen Ceiling Light S Series – Yeelight English

One of the issues with "white" LED lights is how accurately they are white. They may look white but if you look i.e. at green gras under such light the grass looks not natural - just an example.

Therefore it's a good idea to "test" these lights before buying them.

This picture doesn't clearly show the possible problem but it's the same principle:

comparison-of-daylight-to-artificial-lig

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

One of the issues with "white" LED lights is how accurately they are white. They may look white but if you look i.e. at green gras under such light the grass looks not natural - just an example.

This picture doesn't clearly show the possible problem but it's the same principle:

Well I hope find what you want,  as far as I know I  have been replacing the round tube ceiling florescent lights I have with round tube lights that don't need a starter. ????

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

I didn’t get that one, I got this one

https://en.yeelight.com/product/819.html And it works with HomeKit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I didn’t get that one, I got this one

https://en.yeelight.com/product/819.html And it works with HomeKit. 

@OneMoreFarang  said he wanted to use the bulbs offline  can the yeelight bulbs still be flashed with Tasmota or espurna firmware  to cut out the Chinese middleman /internet connection ?

here is a list of some (lots) bulbs that can run Tasmota firmware 

(may require disassembly and soldering to flash firmware)

https://templates.blakadder.com/bulb.html

of course its not just bulbs that can be "Tasmota-fied"  but switches and sensors too 

• Thanks 1

I have something Yeelight. The app is junk and works so inconsistently that I have lost interest in automation. Adding a time switch to turn the stupid thing off and on again every night helped, but what’s the point in relying on automation that works 8 out of 10 times?

22 minutes ago, John435 said:

I have something Yeelight. The app is junk and works so inconsistently that I have lost interest in automation. Adding a time switch to turn the stupid thing off and on again every night helped, but what’s the point in relying on automation that works 8 out of 10 times?

Thanks, that is interesting information. And I agree, if it doesn't work constantly then it is headache.

I want to use home assistant and in the moment I am looking at lights. There are so many of them...