UK pound continues steep rise against Thai baht - other currencies up too as optimism mounts

webfact

static.reuters.jpg

REUTERS file photo

Pound sterling was today listed as 44.15 baht on popular currency exchange site SuperRich in Thailand.

It marks the first time that the pound has been at that point for many years having been as low as 37/38 baht in recent years. 

Today, to high demonination notes, the US dollar was trading at 31.38 baht.

The Euro was 38 baht and the Australian dollar, that once slipped below 20 baht is now at 24.2 baht. 

Many people have said that low rates to the baht have meant trouble for the Thai tourism industry with tourists looking elsewhere. 

With a big shift in that since the start of the year and hopeful signs of a return to mass tourism being mooted for the end of the year there is some optimism at last. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-17

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

As one penny said to the other 

" Let's get together and make some cents " .. 

And now Thailand is on Britains amber list there'll need to be " change " in the traffic lights for it to start raining dosh again .. 

Hell yes, who in their right mind is going to do 24 days in quarantine....

14 days is bad enough...

• Like 2

However as the Bhatt falls prices rise it's already B300 more to fill car fuel tank for me so 3 or 4 more Bhatt to the pound soon gets eaten up, also as every commodity in Thailand is delivered by road rising fuel costs are bad news for everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Most tanks are about 70 litres, so are you saying that fuel has gone up by over 4 Baht (note spelling) per litre recently?

Depends where you are taking the reference price from. Regular Diesel has definitely gone up 2 baht per L since January of this year and 5 baht a litre since last June - however in between it has been up and down

28 minutes ago, mickyr55 said:

However as the Bhatt falls prices rise it's already B300 more to fill car fuel tank for me so 3 or 4 more Bhatt to the pound soon gets eaten up, also as every commodity in Thailand is delivered by road rising fuel costs are bad news for everyone. 

Fuel costs were going up anyway due to the oil price increasing and has been for the last 6 months. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It was 50 with minor variations from 2009 when I moved here to brexit in 2016.

Even better late 90's. I had a very well paid job then so money was never an issue so hence used to spend freely. Took a helicopter trip which I paid for on my UK credit card. At the time I paid it converted to around  650GBP  .  I paid of course in baht and by the time my card was due for payment after around 6 weeks it actually only cost around 400GBP due to the drastic drop in the THB. Those were the days.

Edited by Excel
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The UK's fantastic vaccination scheme has a lot to do with the pound recovering so much this year. As does the gradual debunking of the Project Fear nonsense that is slowly but surely being proved to have been hyperbole from the Pro EU factions that couldn't accept the Democratic mandate provided by the Brexit vote.

Onwards and upwards. ✌️

44.39 a few seconds ago

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

It will tank when Thailand opens its borders back to normal probably,

Well Thailand won't be back to normal, assuming you are alluding to normal as being pre 2020 days, until 2025 so let's enjoy the better buying power whilst we can.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clivebaxter said:

I recall it being 55 to the pound just before the brexit vote in 2016, hopefully it can get back to 50 before long.

The 10-year average is 45.99

image.png.b5a8bf612deb97ac21a667610de15a75.png

• Thanks 1

It is fine saying Thai Bhat is at 44.15 but this is only if you exchange cash .

What i suggest most people here are interested in is the rate on Money Transfers , for pension / savings transfers from there home banks into a Thai bank , as they are living here they do not have physical cast to exchange 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, luckyscruff said:

It is fine saying Thai Bhat is at 44.15 but this is only if you exchange cash .

What i suggest most people here are interested in is the rate on Money Transfers , for pension / savings transfers from there home banks into a Thai bank , as they are living here they do not have physical cast to exchange 

44.3 on Wise from my UK bank to my BKB account.

• Like 2