UK pound continues steep rise against Thai baht - other currencies up too as optimism mounts

webfact

30 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

UK govt debt is to itself, it's not that much of a problem in reality

Yes, one third is to the BOE for QE. But the point is the FOREX markets still views that as debt and on a comparative basis, the lower the debt, the stronger the currency.

5 hours ago, mickyr55 said:

In the last 3months E20 which I use has gone up about 5 Bhatt per litre is just over 26B per litre now. 

I can remember a few years ago when it was over 40thb per litre.

Back in December 2001 when I bought my pickup it was about 9.5 thb per litre.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

UK govt debt is to itself, it's not that much of a problem in reality

The latest figures I could find easily are from 2017. It's worth remembering that these figures are 4 years old, don't include the huge financial impact of covid and that bond/gilt interest rates are currently at their lowest. There may not even be a market for them if a huge volume from the almost every country on earth eventually hits the market.

ownership-uk-debt-2017

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/1407/economics/who-owns-government-debt/

On the other side of the currency picture, here's what Thailand's debt picture looks like as of 2020, unfortunately there's no nice graphics but it's a very short read.

https://www.pdmo.go.th/pdmomedia/documents/2020/Jun/Public Debt Outstanding Report as of May 31st, 2020.pdf

Edited by Brierley
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Excel said:

Got 44.33 early this morning. Looking more likely to increase further with the Thai economy moving into desperate territory and the UK moving upwards given their success with covid vaccinations, I am hopeful that the 45 barrier will be breached soon.

Going that way. 44.53 now with Wise

• Like 1

I bought my house/car/furniture/pool table at 73 to £.  I used to get over 350K when I transferred £5000.  I used to spend it all locally.  Now it's just crept over 200K baht and I've so curtailed my spending I'm known as Khun Keanyow Reeves.

20 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

I just checked on wise.com, I was a bit wrong, when I transferred in June 2016 it was 51 baht to the pound, always better than bank rates

It was 55 (and briefly hit 56) just under a year earlier. I transferred some funds and got around 55 when I retired to Thailand in September 2015.

I was thinking to transfer more but decided against it at the time. Now of course, I wish I had done so but as they say, hindsight is always 20/20 vision.

Screenshot_2021_0518_111832.png

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Climbing steadily against the Euro as well.

1.09 in December. 1.16 today so almost 7%. Not too shabby in 5 months. Similar story against the Dollar. Not exactly falling off a cliff is it?

Commiserations on failing to get an SNP majority by the way. Fortunately for you the UK is doing great.

Was 1.18 in February last year.

Yeah its a stellar performance.

Oh and of course it was 1.32 just before Brexit.

There is a majority for independence in the Scottish parliament. Thats all we need.

Bye bye Brexitland.

• Like 1