Skipping a grade - possible in Thai schools?

Just now, Sheryl said:

It is not just migrants. Where I live, all children, Thais included, must be listed in a housebook in that district to enrol at that school.

Yes, Thais need to be as many try to cheat the system, actually many still do by getting on the housebook of family members or friends. 

I have friends whose kids are not on the housebook and had no problems enrolling in school with their British passport. They are  actually Thai but haven't bothered applying for Thai ID yet, since moving from the UK. 

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is not just migrants. Where I live, all children, Thais included, must be listed in a housebook in that district to enrol at that school.

That is correct for about 70% of the students.

It does vary from school to school but there will be about 30% of students, from outside of the catchment area that can enter the school by way of a type of entrance examination.

7 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

That is correct for about 70% of the students.

It does vary from school to school but there will be about 30% of students, from outside of the catchment area that can enter the school by way of a type of entrance examination.

Even at primary level? No one here seems to have heard of this.

And why would it ever be needed in a rural area? In Bangkok or other city I can see it as people migrant in for work and may still be listed back in another place.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

And why would it ever be needed?

It is extra money for the school administration. One director told me that a class has 30 seats but 5 are kept free for 'auction'.

Also, many parents want their kids to go to the school they went to, but have moved from the area.

35 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

And why would it ever be needed in a rural area? In Bangkok or other city I can see it as people migrant in for work and may still be listed back in another place.

Not sure why you say "rural" and then compare only to Bangkok. Are you suggesting everything out of Bangkok is rural?

Most, if not all, provinces and even districts will have schools that parents rate above others. At primary school level this would be the schools with "Anuban" in their name.

There will be some criteria for those living further away. Maybe tests, a kind of lottery with the red and black cards or, as mentioned already, and auction or donation.