Why the News Is Not the Truth

hello, yes, but it seems that we are not allowed to say what we think about covid anywhere ? Are we allowed on this forum ? Some places delete messages when we tell that we refuse vaccine ! How incredible is it ? Thank you.

• Like 1

Good article.  In my opinion the answer is critical thinking and not laziness or emotional decisions to just ditch all news. There are reliable news sources who fact check and correct errors and there are dodgy news sources.

An article like this might point out trends whereby all news sources at one time or another are affected by broad biases, and manipulation by government and others, but I will still trust the Washington Post compared to the Daily Mail or Covid Harry on Brand New Tube. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thvima said:

hello, yes, but it seems that we are not allowed to say what we think about covid anywhere ? Are we allowed on this forum ? Some places delete messages when we tell that we refuse vaccine ! How incredible is it ? Thank you.

Fear is the deciding factor in Covid reporting - not facts. People are driven by this sense of doom and if you are not, then you are a fault. Your opinion is belittled, discredited, and you are shunned and your voice is not allowed to be heard.

Thou Shalt Not Upset the Status Quo

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

In my opinion the answer is critical thinking and not laziness or emotional decisions to just ditch all news. There are reliable news sources who fact check and correct errors and there are dodgy news sources.

Agreed. To blindly follow what you are told beggars belief.

When the litany of lies told in times past and since proven to be wrong - and many malicious - are legion.

Did the world all of a sudden grow a conscience ? Doubt it.

When people cry and lament the death of a character on a TV soap opera while children around the world are starving to death is a testimony to where the hearts of a majority of the population are located.

If you want to see it - bring a flashlight. It's dark up there.

• Like 1

News is now entertainment, the "truth" is totally irrelevant. Its all about keeping your attention for a short while so they can either build brand or cash in on ads. Clicks means profits.

22 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

News is now entertainment, the "truth" is totally irrelevant. Its all about keeping your attention for a short while so they can either build brand or cash in on ads. Clicks means profits.

As CNN is finding out, according to the ratings. IMO they were a one pony show for 4 years and now that the pony has gone they are finding out that corona just doesn't have the same viewer attraction factor. I watch it when the ads are on on the other channel, but it's soooooooo boring that I couldn't imagine watching it a long time.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/cable-news-viewership-drops-across-the-board-in-april-1234745199/

CNN was at 1.03 million, down 47%.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Seems to me that - especially since the dawn of social media - that traditional news media is on a decline.

Everyone wants their piece of fame - all 2 seconds of it.

I can not believe that 'Influencers' have such a voice.

Talk about leading people around by their noses - or other body parts.

The day of the professional, unbiased, 'Tell it Like it is' journalist is over - sad as it is.

No one wants to sit and watch something for 10 minutes now - all just quick posts, with a foto or 7, and on to the next thing

"Oh - did you see what (insert name here) was wearing / eating / buying !

Which gives the news 'Sources' fertile ground to claim as "News" anything they wish on their agenda.

I think it is about qualification/credentials. 

Metaphorically Back in the '70' their was a picture of a guy in an American uniform shooting at a guy either without or in a different uniform crouching menacingly in a palm tree. 

The guy that filed the report was there, he had seen this.

Now all we get is opinions and we know who has one of these. There is no mention of where the reported was at the time of filing/posting or what the reporters credentials are relating to the news item. Last week a cookery report? This week a fashion report. Next week a Covid report.

But the public is also responsible for being gullible and reading misleading news. I read a post here on TVF where the poster was asking about product reviews on Lazada, <deleted> the reviewers on Lazada have no reported credentials for reviewing any particular product and are probably sat at a bank of phones making stuff up.

On 5/19/2021 at 12:30 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

As CNN is finding out, according to the ratings. IMO they were a one pony show for 4 years and now that the pony has gone they are finding out that corona just doesn't have the same viewer attraction factor. I watch it when the ads are on on the other channel, but it's soooooooo boring that I couldn't imagine watching it a long time.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/cable-news-viewership-drops-across-the-board-in-april-1234745199/

CNN was at 1.03 million, down 47%.

I watched CNN this morning and laughed like a drain. They have resurrected the pony and are bringing it out at every opportunity. What a pathetic bunch they are IMO.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Seems to me that - especially since the dawn of social media - that traditional news media is on a decline.

Everyone wants their piece of fame - all 2 seconds of it.

I can not believe that 'Influencers' have such a voice.

Talk about leading people around by their noses - or other body parts.

The day of the professional, unbiased, 'Tell it Like it is' journalist is over - sad as it is.

No one wants to sit and watch something for 10 minutes now - all just quick posts, with a foto or 7, and on to the next thing

"Oh - did you see what (insert name here) was wearing / eating / buying !

Which gives the news 'Sources' fertile ground to claim as "News" anything they wish on their agenda.

Much of the "news" about the current war consists of showing people crying over the bodies of relatives, children especially. Also lots of clips of blown up buildings and tanks firing shells. There is sod all actual news being reported about it.