PC build

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

must have been lucky the above text was already in the clipboard ????  

No it was voice typing to save the day and still is!

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, tifino said:

remember one of my past laptops had massive keyboard glitches...

- and for a while I tried to survive, using the Virtual Keyboard!! 

I had a virtual bank account once , that didn't work well either ????

• Haha 1

It seems I should start all my topics as a f#@* up. 

Anyway I'm on the phone now halfway through keyboard repair or well before deciding on which keyboard I'm buying next!

So my question is which is fairly broad based. I'm building a PC and I'm just after a bit of feedback on the CPU. Well actually lots of things but the CPU is the starting point.

Basically I have a 10 year old Intel i3 currently and I'm wanting to upgrade as I've got some flaky motherboard problems.

Basically I'm just a browsing no gaming or streaming of any real consequence. But of course I do have upwards of 50 tabs open at a time possibly in multiple browsers. But I also want a super snappy PC and don't want to build it down to a budget. But by the same token I don't want to waste money. Please no flaming. I'm not interested in the sorts of things that offer two or three percent increases but rather a substantial difference.

Anyway I was looking at the ryzen 5 3600 but I have since gone cold on that because it means I would have to get a graphics card. So I have turned my attention to the Intel i5 11400 with graphics built in. I see it's a very new processor but it seems to get some great reviews.

So I'm curious to know others opinions who are more technically minded than myself. I guess at this stage the only other thing that is probably worth mentioning is that I plan on running 32 GB of RAM and it is a dual monitor setup. 

I'm also happy to hear any motherboard suggestions because my take away is it's just a case of choosing a board with the ports I want. But as I already mentioned I'm not very technically minded with regards to this.

Anyway thanks for your patience and I'm hoping I can get some good feedback as ThaiVisa can wear you down sometimes with negative comments.

PXL_20210517_114242226.thumb.jpg.e078083117dd5dd47229aed852fffe56.jpg

Cheers

27 minutes ago, ignis said:

the newest GIGABYTE B550M AMD Motherboard with Onboard Graphics

Cheers

I was aware of these processor, though I just missed you for some reason after some research that I can't remember. May have been comparative benchmarks or something. I was originally wanting the AMD Ryzen, for nothing more than a change really because I've always had Intel processors. But with the research that I have done I ended back with Intel ????

Of course this review Tom's Hardware didn't hurt.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i5-11400-review

33 minutes ago, ignis said:

the newest GIGABYTE B550M AMD Motherboard with Onboard Graphics

Like I've already mentioned on fairly technically lacking. But I assume the motherboard here would still not support a CPU without Graphics built-in?

If you aren't familiar with it already, you might want to check out https://pcpartpicker.com/list/  You can spec out a custom system using whatever components you want and it'll show you if parts are/aren't compatible. 

For example, you can search for a CPU and filter for specific brands and those with integrated graphics.  These are the top 4 Ryzen CPUs with integrated graphics....

image.thumb.png.f57d339937fc9748411a10abe23840a6.png

After adding the first one, you can then select other options....

image.thumb.png.fbdf3a4ed6e4f969b83a9b8e2fbbb4af.png

I'd probably do the case next, as that'll determine what kind of motherboard you can use.  But as an example, here I've clicked on Motherboard and you can see there is a filter box that is checked by default and only shows motherboards that are compatible with the CPU choice....

image.png.77baa7848d21a986cfcc2f385641c18c.png

It'll pull prices from Amazon by default, but if you create an account, you can set the location/currency to Thailand and it'll show you prices in THB from Newegg (if Newegg has the item).  Or you can add your own custom prices for each part....

image.png.16b10922d979c9a44d8e6970e1a9d59d.png

Anyway, you get the idea.  It's a very useful site for doing a custom build of any type (power user, gamer, or a casual user like you)!

Oh, and you can share a public link to system builds you spec out, if that's your thing!

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

If you aren't familiar with it already, you might want to check out https://pcpartpicker.com/list/  You can spec out a custom system using whatever components you want and it'll show you if parts are/aren't compatible. 

For example, you can search for a CPU and filter for specific brands and those with integrated graphics.  These are the top 4 Ryzen CPUs with integrated graphics....

Great thank you for all of the information. I am familiar with PC parts picker and I've had a bit of a mess around in there. I guess I'm here dotting my is and crossing my t's trying to get more direct feedback. But to be honest the feedback that I've received so far both here and on another forum suggests that is probably a solid CPU that I'm looking at. Not to mention a lot of glowing reviews. 

Also there happens to be one quite cheap 6500b within walking distance of my home! 

So I think probably the real question is what motherboard...

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen-with-graphics

Appear the Ryzen 7 [new 3 series] has onboard graphics..

------------------------------------------

Never used a Intel system, always had/built AMD for 40 years..  never had onboard graphics... even my Laptop was AMD.  [much more bang for the money]

Problem for past few months is cannot buy any decent graphics card [chip shortage worldwide + in the news this will go on until well into 2022/23

My own AMD FX 8530 with the R9 Graphics card will have to soldier on for another year or so. 

12 hours ago, 1 said:

Great thank you for all of the information. I am familiar with PC parts picker and I've had a bit of a mess around in there. I guess I'm here dotting my is and crossing my t's trying to get more direct feedback. But to be honest the feedback that I've received so far both here and on another forum suggests that is probably a solid CPU that I'm looking at. Not to mention a lot of glowing reviews. 

Also there happens to be one quite cheap 6500b within walking distance of my home! 

So I think probably the real question is what motherboard...

Motherboards = what do you need ?    Ram slots + Sata connectors + 1, 2 or 3 x M.2

Myself had picked out the 'MSI X570-A Pro'  as it has the 6 Sata that I use, + 4 memory slots

In the past mostly always used Gigabyte  but is more expensive

Myself have a Full size case with 11 case fans as standard = inside stays cool + never use Air Con

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ignis said:

Motherboards = what do you need ?    Ram slots + Sata connectors + 1, 2 or 3 x M.2

Myself had picked out the 'MSI X570-A Pro'  as it has the 6 Sata that I use, + 4 memory slots

In the past mostly always used Gigabyte  but is more expensive

Myself have a Full size case with 11 case fans as standard = inside stays cool + never use Air Con

555 11 fans! I'm currently running 2 and that includes the processor fan and no I don't use air conditioning!

The motherboard I tried to think of it in terms of a bit of future proofing. From my very basic understanding the main thing I'm looking for here is that it has the inputs that I want? I'm pretty confident that any modern motherboard would satisfy my needs from the point of view SATA Ram Etc as I'm unlikely to be running more than two hard drives. I'm kind of drawn to a motherboard that has Wi-Fi on board because I required Wi-Fi in past various reasons. But maybe it's better to ignore that at this stage and just add a card later? As I mentioned earlier I run a dual monitor setup with a DVI and HDMI input. So again I'm drawn to motherboards which have those inputs already. But maybe this is flawed thinking? Also should I be looking at a Micro ATX Form Factor as I don't think I have a need for the offerings of a full-size motherboard, but that may just be part of my ignorance?

Thanks for your help!

I have a B450 mobo setup and then I was sold on the x570 after reading these kind of articles.

https://techedged.com/b550-vs-x570/

https://www.msi.com/blog/msi-b450-b550-x570-comparison

I ended up with a MSI x570-Pro as the poster above, with a Ryzen 5 3400G / 16GB RAM. I think the combination offers a good deal between performance and price.

I run it as headless media server, mostly for video playback and it hardly ever use 15% of the four cores. I dont think it will have any problems with your 50 web tab requirements, 32GB RAM seems a lot to spend on RAM to begin with.

I think Gigabyte offer a mini-ITX in the Aorus Pro Wifi - Im not too sure about the video I/O tho'

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

I think Gigabyte offer a mini-ITX in the Aorus Pro Wifi - Im not too sure about the video I/O tho

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. 

Can you explain what you mean with the video I/O? Does this relate to my needs? I'm guessing it's to do with the onboard graphics of the CPU.

31 minutes ago, 1 said:

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. 

Can you explain what you mean with the video I/O? Does this relate to my needs? I'm guessing it's to do with the onboard graphics of the CPU.

No, simple. Just the ports on the back.

I had a quick look, I can’t see if there is any difference between the mini itx and the regular, the I/O (input output) has 1x display port and 2x hdmi. Double check before purchase.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X570-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf

I don’t know in which direction you are heading, if you are thinking about ryzen  - then it may tick some boxes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

No, simple. Just the ports on the back.

I had a quick look, I can’t see if there is any difference between the mini itx and the regular, the I/O (input output) has 1x display port and 2x hdmi. Double check before purchase.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X570-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf

I don’t know in which direction you are heading, if you are thinking about ryzen  - then it may tick some boxes.

I have spent the last couple of hours looking at the option of the Ryzen 3400G versus the i5 11400 and I've decided to stay with the intel. But to be honest I see it as a coin toss.

I have also managed to whittle it down to a choice between 2 motherboards

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b560-a-gaming-wifi-model/

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B560-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10#kf

I'm leaning slightly towards the Asus probably more because it's a more familiar brand to me as the only distinction between the that seems relevant to me that I can tell is the bios flashback option assuming it something I need down the track.

Again I see this decision as a bit of a coin toss but I'm happy for any opinions that people may have as the process of arriving here I don't feel has been particularly technical on my part! But unless somebody can see something glaring that I have missed it's probably not that important.

Thanks for everybody's input so far. It's been really valuable if for nothing else to force me to do more research.

To be quite honest I've been surprised how helpful and civil it is here compared to other parts of ThaiVisa! 555

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 1 said:

I have spent the last couple of hours looking at the option of the Ryzen 3400G versus the i5 11400 and I've decided to stay with the intel. But to be honest I see it as a coin toss.

I have also managed to whittle it down to a choice between 2 motherboards

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b560-a-gaming-wifi-model/

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B560-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10#kf

I'm leaning slightly towards the Asus probably more because it's a more familiar brand to me as the only distinction between the that seems relevant to me that I can tell is the bios flashback option assuming it something I need down the track.

Again I see this decision as a bit of a coin toss but I'm happy for any opinions that people may have as the process of arriving here I don't feel has been particularly technical on my part! But unless somebody can see something glaring that I have missed it's probably not that important.

Thanks for everybody's input so far. It's been really valuable if for nothing else to force me to do more research.

To be quite honest I've been surprised how helpful and civil it is here compared to other parts of ThaiVisa! 555

Totally - I think brand loyalty and product confidence play a big part in choice, I’m sure you got the tool that does the job, and that’s all that matters.

I have an i3 intel NUC for messing around on, the termites got into the power adaptor, I contacted intel TH and they say, sorry, we don’t stock them, here is a link, find your unit, look up the product code and order one from Amazon. The shipping was twice the price of the power brick.I did manage to sort it via AliExpress, but that was a my deciding moment.

Knowing nothing of the price of intel, can I ask how much do envisage for the mobo, processor and RAM? 

13 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Knowing nothing of the price of intel, can I ask how much do envisage for the mobo, processor and RAM? 

I haven't decided whether I'm going to go 16GB or 32GB but certainly the object here isn't about saving money. I've done that all my life. It's more about getting what I want but not wasting money. But I recognize that to a certain degree I will be wasting money.

Anyway the motherboard in the processor come in at about 12500b. 

Of course now I have a keyboard to add to my purchasing because apparently Logitech k800 keyboards don't like Coca-Cola!

15 hours ago, 1 said:

555 11 fans! I'm currently running 2 and that includes the processor fan and no I don't use air conditioning!

The motherboard I tried to think of it in terms of a bit of future proofing. From my very basic understanding the main thing I'm looking for here is that it has the inputs that I want? I'm pretty confident that any modern motherboard would satisfy my needs from the point of view SATA Ram Etc as I'm unlikely to be running more than two hard drives. I'm kind of drawn to a motherboard that has Wi-Fi on board because I required Wi-Fi in past various reasons. But maybe it's better to ignore that at this stage and just add a card later? As I mentioned earlier I run a dual monitor setup with a DVI and HDMI input. So again I'm drawn to motherboards which have those inputs already. But maybe this is flawed thinking? Also should I be looking at a Micro ATX Form Factor as I don't think I have a need for the offerings of a full-size motherboard, but that may just be part of my ignorance?

Thanks for your help!

AMD processors tend to run hotter than their Intel counterparts, so you'll need to consider either a supplementary fan or liquid cooling system = reason I bought a full size case by AZZA with the 11 case fans, of course my CPU has a aftermarket turbo cooler,  Graphics card has 2 fans, 2 of my HDD have fans fitted to them + the 850 watt PSU has a big fan....  so guess really has 17 fans..

My old case with 4 case fans the CPU ran hot very hot and would switch itself off. to overcome this I took the side off the case and had a 16" electric fan blowing the inside = why after about 6 months I got the AZZA case..

Guess in this day and age liquid cooling system is the way to go ??  - liquid + electronics don't go together so always would fear of a leak... OK I am old better try to move on ????

Are you sure you only need 2 x hard drives ?  myself have 2 x 2 TB + 1 x 1 TB + 2 x SSD hard drives in my case + my DVD drive/player is also Sata  = must have 6 Sata ports....  also have 3 x  USB Portable HDDs....

Thinking back my very 1st PC had a large HDD of 3.4 GB, how on earth did we manage back then ?

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ignis said:

Are you sure you only need 2 x hard drives ?  myself have 2 x 2 TB + 1 x 1 TB + 2 x SSD hard drives in my case + my DVD drive/player is also Sata  = must have 6 Sata ports....  also have 3 x  USB Portable HDDs....

Definitely. To be quite honest I'll just be starting out with one drive and I won't be bothering with an optical drive. On one level it's going to look like a very bare-bones system!

I don't have music/movie collections like so many and most of my storage is done in the cloud. 

18 hours ago, 1 said:

Thanks for your help!

yes, you are off-track with DVI and even more with HDMI.

these will max out at about 1920 x 1080 at about 60 Hz, HDMI doesn't manage more and DVI needs dual link for higher resolution and frequencies.

the best choice for computer graphics output is display port.

at some point you will want to replace the HD display for example with 3k displays (2560x1440) or even 4k.

so if you want dual 3k monitors, you will want a graphics card with dual display port.

display port also handles sound, so you will be able to hook up the speakers to the monitor instead of to the PC. I like that feature because I connected 2 PCs to the same monitor.

that being said, you didn't say what you would be using the computer for, so it's difficult to give advice on other specs.

another interesting feature might be to setup the system disk using 2x 500GB SSD  configured with RAID-1, that depends on how dependable you want the system to be.

Micro ATX is more difficult to cool.

Personally, I decided that I probably won't be buying desktops anymore because I switched to using a beefy laptop instead (yes, with dual SSD configured as RAID-1 and external monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse).

Edited by tgw

1 hour ago, tgw said:

that being said, you didn't say what you would be using the computer for, so it's difficult to give advice on other specs.

Thanks.

I actually i describe my use case in what should have been my opening post but was actually the 7th due to a keyboard failure!

"Basically I'm just a browsing no gaming or streaming of any real consequence. But of course I do have upwards of 50 tabs open at a time possibly in multiple browsers. But I also want a super snappy PC and don't want to build it down to a budget. But by the same token I don't want to waste money. Please no flaming. I'm not interested in the sorts of things that offer two or three percent increases but rather a substantial difference."

Anyway where your suggestions are good ones they probably won't make the final cut because of my use case and the significant expense of replacing two monitors with two perfectly good monitors. But I will certainly keep your suggestions in mind for future proofing!

Cheers

3 hours ago, 1 said:

Definitely. To be quite honest I'll just be starting out with one drive and I won't be bothering with an optical drive. On one level it's going to look like a very bare-bones system!

I don't have music/movie collections like so many and most of my storage is done in the cloud. 

???????? ์ No not that far yet -- what it this cloud thing get overloaded will it rain bits down to everyone ? or what about breaks down ? 

I have a copy of everything on another HDD + backed up on a USB HDD, sure is easy compared to a few years ago everything on loads of rewritable DVD's....  before that was all on 100"s of CDs .......... at least I have thrown away the old backup Floppy Disks

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 1 said:

I have spent the last couple of hours looking at the option of the Ryzen 3400G versus the i5 11400 and I've decided to stay with the intel. 

Good decision. I was also impressed by the Tom's Hardware review. Best value now in that price range.

Forget all the extreme recommendations. Your requirements are pretty basic. I've sometimes said that asking about getting a basic new machine here is about like walking into a gym full of preening bodybuilders and asking about "toning." Pretty soon you're working out 4 hours a day in the gym and injecting steroids. 

There's a good PC building forum here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

with lots of knowledgeable builders sympathetic to any budget and offering build recommendations you can tailor to availability here. Exactly the kinds of questions you're asking are often addressed there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1 said:

Thanks.

I actually i describe my use case in what should have been my opening post but was actually the 7th due to a keyboard failure!

"Basically I'm just a browsing no gaming or streaming of any real consequence. But of course I do have upwards of 50 tabs open at a time possibly in multiple browsers. But I also want a super snappy PC and don't want to build it down to a budget. But by the same token I don't want to waste money. Please no flaming. I'm not interested in the sorts of things that offer two or three percent increases but rather a substantial difference."

Anyway where your suggestions are good ones they probably won't make the final cut because of my use case and the significant expense of replacing two monitors with two perfectly good monitors. But I will certainly keep your suggestions in mind for future proofing!

Cheers

okay

yes, for heavy browsing my recommendation would be RAM and multi-core processor, as much cores as possible, in fact.
16 GB should be plenty for browsing, and you'd be better off with a slower 8-core processor than with a quicker 4 core processor, because modern browsers are multi-threaded.

I'd go for a cheap octocore, the Ryzen 7 4700G (with integrated GPU) is expected to cost around 300 USD and you get 8 cores as well.

SSD as system disk should be a no-brainer as well.

Edited by tgw
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1 said:

Thanks.

Cheers

If that's all you are using your PC for, no video editing, music production, gaming etc, then why do you need such a physically big and powerful PC. And WHY over 50 tabs open at once, did you try shutting some down?

Something like an Intel NUC i5 or an Asus PB50 Ryzen 5 which each has 3 x 4K HDMI outputs, would be far better for you.