PM tells Corrections to treat COVID-19 infected inmates humanely, as cases in prison surpasses 10,000

snoop1130

13 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I know what Mengele did..and this is not an experiment. Everybody needs a jab and the choice is Sinovac and Astra Zenica and the last one has side effects that can be dangerous, but Government claims that Sinovac works good as you read a few days ago ... so it is not unethical.. or is vaccinating the normal people in the country with Sinovac different than people in prisons?

"normal" people have a choice. 

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Dr. Traisulee said that the prime minister is concerned over the situation in prisons, because of their cramped conditions and limited space, which are ideal for the spread of the disease, adding that he has instructed the Corrections Department to work closely with the Public Health Ministry in the efforts to contain the disease and to treat the infected inmates.

Now they have just made a case for prison reform.  Will anything actually be done?  Do you really believe the PM cares about the humane treatment of prisoners when the prison conditions historical are inhumane and seemingly this way on purpose?

17 hours ago, Artisi said:

Treat them humanely - well for starters reduce the number in each by about 75%, supply decent food so as families don't have to bring eatable food or contribute a small fortune for their upkeep each time they visit - - now that would be a good start. 

Put drug users in treatment programs instead of jail and the prisons would empty out by about 75%.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, robblok said:

Does that mean other prisons don't have it. The number of inmates in total is quite low I thought the total population in Thai prisons was far higher. Does that mean no checks in other prisons or no cases.

300,000 approximate population of prisoners in Thailand. Large percentage drug related offenses

.The inmates in the remand prison are 'on remand'  before a  trial hearing leading to conviction  or acquittal .

The conditions must be terrible with  overcrowding. and  mass covid infections.

As they have not been found guilty or sentenced by the court the prisoners should be treated with some degree of compassion  .

The prison authorities should not need a directive from the prime minister to treat prisoners humanly. as this indicates  treating prisoners humanly is not  normal procedure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Once you are placed in one of these hell holes there is absolutely no humanity for these people and now that Covid has entered the premises i really fear for there well being and I wonder what the true figure really is when it comes to those who have perished . I would rather kill myself than be in one of the hell holes god have mercy on every one of them they are not all rapists or murders most have committed a petty crime where in the Western world they would have been punished with community work or a fine that you can pay on a monthly basis .how many next week 20,000 ☹️☹️☹️☹️

I believe that the numbers that will perish in the Thai Jails due to Covid will never be known. This number will be another State Secret

There is a high degree of certainty, that many people will die in the Prisons, as these places are already hotspots for diseases such as TB.

Without open, honest reporting, these people will just be washed away with the daily grime in these places. And the honest reporting will not come from the Authorities, who have already shown on numerous occasions there total disregard of the lower classes in their own Country.

• Like 1

So do the prisoners have to self isolate or go into 2 weeks quarantine? 

Or do they get bundled 40 to a cell standing and sleeping on top of each other? 

Do the infected prisoners maintain the correct social distancing? Are masks and sanitizer supplied? (Free of charge).

I bet they don't invite UNICEF  or WHO to inspect the conditions.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, robblok said:

Does that mean other prisons don't have it. The number of inmates in total is quite low I thought the total population in Thai prisons was far higher. Does that mean no checks in other prisons or no cases.

It means that those are the only prisons where masss tests have been carried out in the current round. I have calculated percentages from the Thai PBS source article.

Chiang Mai Central Prison, 3,929 cases among 6,469 inmates;   60.7%
Central Women Correctional Institution, 1,039 cases among 4,488 inmates; 23.2%
Bangkok Remand Prison, 1,960 cases among 3,023 inmates;   64.8%
Khlong Prem Central Prison, 1,016 cases among 8,088 inmates; 12.6%
Chachoengsao Central Prison, 43 cases among 2,671 inmates;   1.6%
Thonburi Remand Prison, 1,725 cases among 4,015 inmates;   43.0%
Central Special Correctional Institution, 12 cases among 5,876 inmates 0.2%
Nonthaburi Prison, 59 cases among 2,661 inmates.     2.2%

Total 9,763 out of 37,291 = 26%.

Chiang Mai and Greater Bangkok prisons have obviously been prioritised for testing.  Of course we don't know, if they tested the entire populations of those prisons, particularly the 3 with very low infection rates. 

There are 380,000 prisoners nationwide according to the Corrections Department.  It is most likely that more hotspots will develop in prisons in other regions.  One infected prisoner or guard will easily spread the virus throughout the prison in a short space of time, as can be seen by the 60% plus infection rates found in Bkk Remand and Chiang Mai prisons.  Prisoners are in poor physical condition due to the harsh conditions and malnutrition, so are all high risk of serious illlness and death, regardless of age.   

It is hard to imagine what they can do to mitigate spreading in prisons without stopping anyone going in and out. It is a fair guess that nationwide 50,000 plus prisoners will be infected before this is done.

The military is also at very high risk of being infected but I doubt they will want to admit it, if it happens for reasons of national security. 

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No Thai government has ever expressed any interest in prison reform or treating prisoners more humanely.  It is safe to assume that Prayut's comments are intended purely for PR purposes and that Corrections Dept staff understand this.

It is odd that there are no reports of infected guards yet. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, robblok said:

Well, quite easy....... 

No checks..... No cases ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Talking like this means you don't use your brain very much..Why is Sinovac not good for prisoners but good for the rest of Thailand please explain... And explain too if they give every prisoner Sinovac and it seems to work than the Government haven't got a proof how good this Chinese vaccine is?? I think more people will get a jab than.. But that is maybe too difficult for you to understand.

Oh dear some little man can't take some criticism for a really stupid comment he posted regarding the treatment  of prisoners ie testing it on them (some who may not have even gone to trail). Which is not difficult to understand...have you even got a brain or is that to hard a question for you...

18 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Who is KALUS? 

So very sorry hope your not to devastated by my misspelling     

Nikolaus “Klaus” Barbie (25 October 1913 – 25 September 1991) was a Nazi, known as the "Butcher of Lyon" for having personally tortured prisoners of the Gestapo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Oh I care so much. He is so so full of it!

Seems he thinks that Thailand has only a few prisons with a small number of inmates that need looking after, this fits in nicely with his prior belief that "no Thai would do that" - - Thailand the hub of virtuous behaviour. 

34 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Oh dear some little man can't take some criticism for a really stupid comment he posted regarding the treatment  of prisoners ie testing it on them (some who may not have even gone to trail). Which is not difficult to understand...have you even got a brain or is that to hard a question for you...

Happy to know that there is a least 1 smart intelligent man in Thailand

20 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The Government still claim it is best medication.. so let them prove it on the inmates.

So you think its fine to test this vaccine out on inmates? Since when did their sentence include being used as guinea pigs?

6 hours ago, Keesters said:

If the inmates had been human to begin with they wouldn't be where they are. 

What a fine upstanding citizen - a member of the lock 'em up and throw away the key club no doubt.

You have no idea of the background that lead to any inmates being in prison.You might also notice that the photo in the OP is of Bangkok REMAND Prison.  Do you understand the status of a prisoner on remand?

So in your book anyone who commits an offence is not human?

What is not humane is failing to protect prisoners from a virus against which, because of the conditions they are kept in, they have no defence!

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobydog said:

And let us not forget the Space Program

Indeed............... if all the comments, plans and schemes that have been announced by the Thai government over the last few years were put together - you wouldn't have to add too much to turn it into the script for the funniest comedy show ever.

Probably a good percentage of prisoners should not even be in there some of the sentences handed down for trivial things I knew of a guy who got 5 years for half a dozen stolen mobile phones, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

What a fine upstanding citizen - a member of the lock 'em up and throw away the key club no doubt.

You have no idea of the background that lead to any inmates being in prison.You might also notice that the photo in the OP is of Bangkok REMAND Prison.  Do you understand the status of a prisoner on remand?

So in your book anyone who commits an offence is not human?

What is not humane is failing to protect prisoners from a virus against which, because of the conditions they are kept in, they have no defence!

Z.jpg