PM tells Corrections to treat COVID-19 infected inmates humanely, as cases in prison surpasses 10,000

snoop1130

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

So you think its fine to test this vaccine out on inmates? Since when did their sentence include being used as guinea pigs?

No they are not guinea pigs... better can wait till they all have covid.. That is a better option according to you

7 hours ago, Keesters said:

If the inmates had been human to begin with they wouldn't be where they are. 

Oh dear. Cant say s****H^^^^^i@@@@@t on here cause it will delete but this comment is ok. Rediculous. I truely hope you do something stupid and by your above comment that's well on the cards and end up in jail. Personal attack starting with the letter W proceeded by the word You second word ending in r. You may have to take a bit of time to figure out what I'm calling you. Absolutely discraceful comment. Your probably having a nice little childish giggle to yourself right now as all infantile minded trolls do. 

Really bad news about the situation in Thai prison, how they will handle this is beyond me. Everyone who has seen a thai prison knows what this ultimately means. No vaccine and a situation in Thailand that soon reaches numbers like hardly affected countries in Europe ( Sweden, Cyprus, Latvia etc. ) I really hope the authorities quickly step up the vaccine programme !! They have to move fast ....this is really bad !! We pray for you.  

What about our Military Bases?

Royal Thai Airforce, Navy and Army?

If we can't control and properly manage internal criminal incarceration, who's minding our boarders? 

Who's ensuring our troops are safe and prepared to repel boarders? 

Our PM was ex military.... A General. 

Time to innoculate and commence patrols.  HO RAH.

2 hours ago, Jiggo said:

So very sorry hope your not to devastated by my misspelling     

Nikolaus “Klaus” Barbie (25 October 1913 – 25 September 1991) was a Nazi, known as the "Butcher of Lyon" for having personally tortured prisoners of the Gestapo

Thank you, I thought Kalus might have been his brother.

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

No they are not guinea pigs... better can wait till they all have covid.. That is a better option according to you

Not at all.  Prisoners have a right to be vaccinated but the fact that they are incarcerated does not give anyone the right to use them as part of an experiment.

44 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Not at all.  Prisoners have a right to be vaccinated but the fact that they are incarcerated does not give anyone the right to use them as part of an experiment.

you say it is an experiment that were never my words.. I only said give them sinovac than the Government can prove that this vaccine is working  

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Forum rules forbit me from telling you exactly what i think of your comment.????????

You should be ashamed of yourself making comments like the above, there are thousands of innocent people in Thai jails.

I agree with your post entirely Colin, but when you think of all the people who should be in jail and are not, drunk drivers, all sorts of vehicles though mostly motor bikes driving up the wrong side of the road and on the pavements.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

you say it is an experiment that were never my words.. I only said give them sinovac than the Government can prove that this vaccine is working  

OK fair enough but you should know that many Thai people distrust the Sinovac vaccine and feel that the government are just choosing the cheapest they can find without a proper evaluation.

As usual when any topic relates to prisons and punishments a lot of posters come along that clearly don't understand what's wrong with the prison system - not just in Thailand but in many countries.

People commit crime for a variety of reasons, drugs, poverty, plain stupidity etc. etc. and yes, there are some that are just plain bad.

However, before regarding people in prison as less than human and deserving of any misfortune that may befall them whilst they are serving their punishment, people need to ask themselves if prison actually works?  Yes, for some there is no alternative but looking around the world at the growing prison populations - despite very heavy sentences in some countries, you don't have to be Einstein to realise that in a great many cases, prison isn't working.

Repeat offending rates are very high and illustrate the inefficacy of simply locking someone up for committing crime.  Ask yourself a question - what do you want from a penal system?  Do you want it to just lock people up for them to come out and continue committing crimes or would you rather they stopped committing those crimes? The USA is a prime example - around 2.3 million people in prison, very heavy sentencing yet crime rates are still high.  Longer sentences are brought in - crime rates still go up so they build more prisons - crazy! Prison, for many, simply doesn't work.

Personally, what I want from a penal system is a safer world with less crime. How that is achieved is not my concern but its pretty damned clear the the current system of punishment isn't achieving anything.

Many of the people in prison have children - when you sentence someone to prison, you also sentence their family who are innocent.  Its all very well to say they should have thought about their family before they commited their crime, that doesn't help their family.  In countries with a welfare system, it doesn't help the taxpayer either - the people who pay for to the running of prisons and pay for benefits given to the familes prisoners leave behind.

When someone is locked up - the sentence is to deprive them of their time - not their health or dignity. In incarcerating someone, the very minimum the penal authority becomes responsible for is an inmate's health.  If someone becomes infected with Covid 19 in prison, the authority has failed in that duty and so becomes an offender itself.

As someone pointed out earlier, the rules regarding Covid 19 in Thailand require social distancing,  the wearing of masks, and limited numbers of people gathering in one place - failure to comply is punishable by fines or even imprisonment.  Yet scores of people are thrown into one room without masks or any hope of social distancing in Thailand's jails. Maybe the jailers should be fined or imprisoned?

As for an immediate solution to the outbreak in Thailand's prisons, I doubt there is one, its too late.  What they can do however, is to prevent further outbreaks through testing, isolation of new inmates and prisoner movements. The courts could also postpone all but the most serious cases on their lists.

Put someone in prison, treat them worse than you'd treat an animal - what do you expect to come out?  A reformed person or any angry human being with an axe to grind?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

OK fair enough but you should know that many Thai people distrust the Sinovac vaccine and feel that the government are just choosing the cheapest they can find without a proper evaluation.

I know.....I my area I don't know anybody who want have a vaccine. We know too that Sinovac isn't the best and protect as several studies show only for about 50 %. In my opinion I am thinking that giving Sinovac what is a lot available at the moment to the prisoners, because 50% protection is more than nothing or as the Government claims there is a higher protection. By giving the Sinovac is experiment because a lot of Thai people in the country will get it too, maybe it shows that the vaccine is better and that can trigger to get more people vaccinated. It is sad to see that 6,5 million out of 67 million have used the app to get the jab. If nothing is done the cases will only increase, in prisons as well as outside. Surely with the latest smart move to release 50.000 inmates. Incubation time of Covis is 2 to 10 days so the Government is not knowing how to handle ... So I never had the intention to use inmates as an experiment, but more as a solution to prevent more infections and   with the result if the Sinovac really works well a prove that you can get the jab.. For the sake of this country. Not as Dr Mengele, or Barbie or whatever. I always try to think in solutions, positively ...

On 5/17/2021 at 10:38 PM, robblok said:

Does that mean other prisons don't have it. The number of inmates in total is quite low I thought the total population in Thai prisons was far higher. Does that mean no checks in other prisons or no cases.

1...Mr Prayut should issue orders to lock all prisons down .

2. Save money don't bother testing as they will all have it.

3. Release all the non serious offenders, as long as they work in the fishing industry for free. 

This will mean they will know where the Covid spread came from and eliminate the threat of variant strains coming in from Myanmar 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

As usual when any topic relates to prisons and punishments a lot of posters come along that clearly don't understand what's wrong with the prison system - not just in Thailand but in many countries.

People commit crime for a variety of reasons, drugs, poverty, plain stupidity etc. etc. and yes, there are some that are just plain bad.

However, before regarding people in prison as less than human and deserving of any misfortune that may befall them whilst they are serving their punishment, people need to ask themselves if prison actually works?  Yes, for some there is no alternative but looking around the world at the growing prison populations - despite very heavy sentences in some countries, you don't have to be Einstein to realise that in a great many cases, prison isn't working.

Repeat offending rates are very high and illustrate the inefficacy of simply locking someone up for committing crime.  Ask yourself a question - what do you want from a penal system?  Do you want it to just lock people up for them to come out and continue committing crimes or would you rather they stopped committing those crimes? The USA is a prime example - around 2.3 million people in prison, very heavy sentencing yet crime rates are still high.  Longer sentences are brought in - crime rates still go up so they build more prisons - crazy! Prison, for many, simply doesn't work.

Personally, what I want from a penal system is a safer world with less crime. How that is achieved is not my concern but its pretty damned clear the the current system of punishment isn't achieving anything.

Many of the people in prison have children - when you sentence someone to prison, you also sentence their family who are innocent.  Its all very well to say they should have thought about their family before they commited their crime, that doesn't help their family.  In countries with a welfare system, it doesn't help the taxpayer either - the people who pay for to the running of prisons and pay for benefits given to the familes prisoners leave behind.

When someone is locked up - the sentence is to deprive them of their time - not their health or dignity. In incarcerating someone, the very minimum the penal authority becomes responsible for is an inmate's health.  If someone becomes infected with Covid 19 in prison, the authority has failed in that duty and so becomes an offender itself.

As someone pointed out earlier, the rules regarding Covid 19 in Thailand require social distancing,  the wearing of masks, and limited numbers of people gathering in one place - failure to comply is punishable by fines or even imprisonment.  Yet scores of people are thrown into one room without masks or any hope of social distancing in Thailand's jails. Maybe the jailers should be fined or imprisoned?

As for an immediate solution to the outbreak in Thailand's prisons, I doubt there is one, its too late.  What they can do however, is to prevent further outbreaks through testing, isolation of new inmates and prisoner movements. The courts could also postpone all but the most serious cases on their lists.

Put someone in prison, treat them worse than you'd treat an animal - what do you expect to come out?  A reformed person or any angry human being with an axe to grind?

Right, but not an axe to grind, but a Gun to shoot. 

And the USA situation, they privatised most prisons and made prisoners a 50 cent per hour industry. 

Couple that with crooked judges who send people to jail for petty crimes, and a police force that looks like Darth Vaders army, stepping on throats, and mistaking Tasers for hand guns, and you have anarchy. 

I have a friend who spent 2 years in the Bangkok hilton for being the boyfriend of a government officials daughter, who hated him. 

He said he had to queue for water for hours sometimes from a dribbling tap.

No one knew he was in Jail, he only got out when a social worker got a message to his mother who had to fly to Thailand to bargain for his release. 

They released him and deported him for life. 

That's years ago and conditions don't seem to have changed. 

What's going to happen to these poor prisoners if they get critical and need oxygen treatment and hospitals???? 

Maybe Thailand will have to bury them on a special island banned from the public, just like New York. 

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

Right, but not an axe to grind, but a Gun to shoot. 

And the USA situation, they privatised most prisons and made prisoners a 50 cent per hour industry. 

Couple that with crooked judges who send people to jail for petty crimes, and a police force that looks like Darth Vaders army, stepping on throats, and mistaking Tasers for hand guns, and you have anarchy. 

I have a friend who spent 2 years in the Bangkok hilton for being the boyfriend of a government officials daughter, who hated him. 

He said he had to queue for water for hours sometimes from a dribbling tap.

No one knew he was in Jail, he only got out when a social worker got a message to his mother who had to fly to Thailand to bargain for his release. 

They released him and deported him for life. 

That's years ago and conditions don't seem to have changed. 

What's going to happen to these poor prisoners if they get critical and need oxygen treatment and hospitals???? 

Maybe Thailand will have to bury them on a special island banned from the public, just like New York. 

They just burn them here and throw them out to sea