IMMIGRATION TO THAILAND

I read countless posts on Thai Visa forums of ex-pats who complain at the problems and inconveniences caused by Thailand Immigration rules and regulations.

In 1963 at the age of 22, I emigrated from England to the United States.

After I had been there only 6 months, I was called up for a medical and told I would be drafted into the US army and be sent to Vietnam.

I know which countries immigration rules I have found the hardest to comply with.

Edited by lelapin
  • Sad 1

I agree to all of that. I came here first time in 1992. It is a nice country to relax in, just follow the rules and stay out of trouble. And if you have the time, try to learn the language, the Thais appreciate that.

Edited by pitufikken
Missed the "a"
  • Like 2

well you will surely have problems with the immigration, whoever says never had problem is probably lies. But when i say problems i mean like paper work things. For example you can go to immigration office 2-3 times in 1 day.. just to correct some small details on documents. 

Living in thailand of course had good and bad sides. its all up to how you want to live. 

Good luck

17 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Well you can't emigrate to Thailand because they don't have an immigration visa.

I would say most expats are on non-immigration visas.

And he would not have been subject to the military draft (since ended) had he been in the US on non-immigrant visa.

(Actually I think there may be an Immigrant visa for Thailand just very very hard to qualify for).

I arrived at both countries with the intention of staying there permanently, at very different stages in my life.

My post was intended to show how I was able to cope with the various stresses imposed by Thai immigration on an ex-pat relatively well, as I was able to compare the mental pressures I experience now with those that I had had as an ex-pat earlier in my life.

I forgot  (well I am over 80) that when posting on Thai Visa, the content you present will be examined as if it is evidence in a court being examined by a prosecutor.

My intention was not to compare the various rules of each country, particularly 60 years apart, but to explain why even though they are sometime annoying, I am able to cope with the rules applied to an ex-pat living in Thailand.

I am sorry if my post was misinterpreted and I will try to be more careful in the future with my posts.

Edited by lelapin
  • Like 1